Trapezoid mini Onken&Slim GR dMar-Ken builds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vish,

Nice work with the BB ply cabinets. Once you're done with the remaining angle cut, post some more pics. Have you decided on the finish yet?

For the moment i'm just going to sand finish them then decide how i will finish them. Yes once they are finished i will post a great number of pictures!

I am actually attempting to finish them tomorrow, no one has actually replied to me specifically about the wadding. From what i gather i am poly lining the internal brace, wadding the sides, top, bottom and back of the enclosure.

Do i need to wad the front panel? or do i just leave that?

Thanks!

more pics, wadding placement.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Note the chamfered edge

Guys from this picture can you let me know where you place the wadding? I know the slots need clearance but if i wad the rear panel and the sides it will be tight. Also i'm thinking of using the white poly fill on the trapezoids because its a great deal easier to use! That other stuff is a nightmare!

I'll wad the sides here, can i use a thin but on the back panel end to end? or just in the middle? Anyone got pics if the inside of there enclosures?

Where else should i be wadding in this picture? Perhaps the bottom of the front speaker panel and the rear panel. Anywhere else?

Last edited:
Top, bottom the two inside slot wall panels, front panel notched around driver cut out, and trickiest of all is the narrow section of rear wall either side of vertical divider - most of the others can be friction fit, but those two need some type of adhesive to prevent shifting enough to occlude interior vent openings.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do i just line every panel making sure not to block ports etc. As you can see in the pics the wool type wadding is thick!

yes. it doesn’t look all that thick & looks lower density than the felt we use so should be thicker.

on the trapz should i wad the rear panel and the front speaker panel?

yes

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Can i use these versions " Alpair 7P" in either of the enclosures or is it specific for the Alpair 7A Gen. 3?

They will fit but the Tuning is different. It, IIRC, can also be fitted into a slightly bigger box. The A7p was a bit of a “surprise”, needs a huge amount of break-in and i haven’t completely many of the cabinet drawings for it.

dave

I do love a challenge, ok i am on it Chris! Moving towards my earlier post showing the tannoys wading.

Top, bottom the two inside slot wall panels, front panel notched around driver cut out, and trickiest of all is the narrow section of rear wall either side of vertical divider - most of the others can be friction fit, but those two need some type of adhesive to prevent shifting enough to occlude interior vent openings.

Wadding Update, Photobucket sucks!

Damn it, the image host i use is now no longer free, photobucket have stopped hosting all images unless myself and millions of other people pay $399 a year.

If you're interested read the article below.

Photobucket replaces millions of images with 'ransom demand' | CSO Online

And i am certainly not going to do this, which means having to replace all the photos by uploading them. Im sure this has effected many forums, even searching on diyaudio im seeing missing images.

Anyway, here is my update. After finding some time i decided i wasn't happy with the wadding. What made it difficult is my carpenter friend decided to glue up early leaving me with not much space, would've been easier to acoustic wad some of the panels then glue them together.

I wasn't happy with my first attempt and wanted to make it better, ChrisB gave me an idea on using MUSLIN/CHEESE cloth. Eureka moment followed from there, with a bit of inspiration from the Tannoy Lancaster's internal wadding i decided to give it a go. I must say i am pleased with the results, it meant i could place more wadding and keep it all together in a neat and tidy way.

Attachments

• DSC_0011 (1).jpg
    DSC_0011 (1).jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC_0028 (1).jpg
    DSC_0028 (1).jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    820.6 KB · Views: 216
more pictures

Let me your thoughts? I am now planning to do the rear enclosure panel and the front speaker panel, i may just use poly fill for this.

But please comment, advise and tell me what you think!

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    996.1 KB · Views: 103
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.