Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes & no Soong. Would look at buying the best speakers
that you can afford tweak the rest of the system & then to the speakers
for final tweaking. Transparency can be very very misleading if your
not aware of what to look out for. One will end up getting a very flashy
sound which becomes very fatiguing to listen too in long exposure

Eldam said:
You think there are electrical rules and if respected any technician can make a correct job: but tons of standardized devices sound bad : and the enfineer did their job, so what happened ? You are the only one with correct ears or do you check just your devices with your eyes ; noise measurement, etc ?!
There are "electrical rules". Respecting them (which requires knowing them) is a necessary condition for achieving good sound reproduction. It is not a condition for achieving popularity or high sales, as many people prefer modified sound and/or can be taken in by fashion or a good story; give them good sound and they don't like it.

Anyway, I seem to have stumbled into the Star Trek convention so I will leave.

Yes there are electrical rules. Nobody say there aren't.

It doesn't mean there are unique choices in parts around them ! Making some sound is not dificult and can be learned in a school. Acheving a good sound reproduction is more difficult.

Btw, you don't say or prove a bipolar will not work at the place described : if it works, it will not break the cosmic laws. If the aging is worst is an other story (did you mention it?) and can be a trade off, after all so much hifi stuffs with passive cheap parts of bad quality which are aging fast... The Financial guys have more power than the techs. Here we are ready to spend a little more for improvments.

I will not comment on you intelectual shortcut : "I have the knowledge, but you haven't, so you don't know what is about a good sound. You have already a good sound but you don't know you have because you have no electrical knowledge about electrical sound reproduction"

I believe it's a delirium where you will be Captain Kurk, the only guy in universe with good ears, all the others having already a good sound but whom are not aware of that !

Whatever I think you are rigth to insist on rules, of course they comes first and everybody agree (it's not magic). It doesn't mean again there are no margins ! I just think you talk about designing and us simple mortal just about optimising to make our devices together having a whole good result which is called : Good sound !

Last edited:
yep read it 10 or 15 years ago... It doesn't say all. And sometimes the parameters are the same, just dielectric changes for instance between ceramic and PPS and the result is not the same : it can certainly be measured but it not helps you to choose the caps on a particular circuit, ah you could choose the litlliest for the smallest inductance... no luck, on certain circuit after try & error the PPS sounds the best... on an other circuit it will be the ceramic ,( on an other polystyren, etc) with the same foot print which works best : at least at the end of the chain :the sound . So interaction are more complex than we think and the measurement are often local only, and often the same measured at end but with two subjective result at ears !

On an other circuit take 100 different 1500/16v caps : no one sounds the same at the end in the circuit, even from a same serie which just length and diameter changing (with same leads space) ?! : one in a particular circuit will sound better and no ESR, ESL, parameters will match the best choice ?! For me there are two lines : some changes can sometimes improve the device on all the hifi associations, sometimes just a question of adaptation between devices.

So imho all is not said and/or measured : and if so it never helped someone to choose exactly the good cap at the right place, it just helps you to find the good values, but again two close caps will give a different result, sometimes close, sometimes not : and there is a better choice among all : if you take the time to try.

Last edited:
Oh boy, cooking is a huge French mental disorder, as soon as we saw something, we think about pans, spicies, open the oven... even with caps ! So you imagine my emotion when I saw the picture on the first page of TonyGee ! Here you can go in jail if you show a photograph of a bad cooked beef !

As say Scott : "Sometimes it's hard to beat a slice of buttered toast"... but voilà :
.... with hot snail with garlic on it :)

It's more important too coock the hifi on some materials (acoustical mostly), but last day I re listenned London Calling from the Clash between some jazz and more acoustical programs and i have to say i had a lot of pleasure without more interrogation than that about the sound !

Hifi can be a mess, i would prefer to like listening rap on standalone tape-boom-Box... but voilà, i'm sure I will tweak the cells to try to improve things, lol !

Music should be as simple as to have Daft Punk in the garage : https://youtu.be/Cj8JrQ9w5jY.

Last edited:
Eldam pls cook some caps salad for me. Lol Yes audio is precisely like cooking. I recalled my first diy project which was a CS 4328 dac. output was via tube stage on a seperate board. The biggest surprise to me was the type of wire that was used to connect the 2 boards together. At that time as so called brain washed audiohiple, you thought buying expensive wires was the way to go, I use Cardas but it sounded so dark & dead so decided to try with just cheap wires & wow immediately you hear the diff. Why so can't explain but that's the beginning of my diy adventure. Till today there's this thought that's still lurking inside my brains . Would P to P sound better then pcb ?

Lol Soongsc

Eldam pls cook some caps salad for me. Lol Yes audio is precisely like cooking. I recalled my first diy project which was a CS 4328 dac. output was via tube stage on a seperate board. The biggest surprise to me was the type of wire that was used to connect the 2 boards together. At that time as so called brain washed audiohiple, you thought buying expensive wires was the way to go, I use Cardas but it sounded so dark & dead so decided to try with just cheap wires & wow immediately you hear the diff. Why so can't explain but that's the beginning of my diy adventure. Till today there's this thought that's still lurking inside my brains . Would P to P sound better then pcb ?

If an audible difference exists then a measurable does too. Our ears are an order of magnitude worse than decent measuring gear.

I'd propose that any circuit, other than a crossover, that is heavily affected by small changes in capacitor type could be better designed so as not to be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.