Tony Gee's Capacitor page updated..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many have fully read Tony's intro.

"This scale is based purely on sound quality, the price has been left out of consideration.
A higher rating does not automatically mean that one capacitor is better than another!
A hi-fi system is a very complex sum of many variables, a capacitor is only one small part of that total, so depending on implementation results may vary.
On the other hand you can be assured that capacitor A with a 6 point rating won't "beat" capacitor B with a 12 point rating."

Yes ok a little counterintuitive, but he does try to give a clarification.

My thoughts and opinions on the few caps I've played with line up perfectly with Tonys thoughts.
And that was long before I even knew about his site.

I think the easiest answer is that if your happy with what you have, or think, or find, then just be happy :)

"This scale is based purely on sound quality, the price has been left out of consideration.
realy i think is not as written in presentation.

On the other hand you can be assured that capacitor A with a 6 point rating won't "beat" capacitor B with a 12 point rating."
not relay that: on web and most of person i know for example like more a cap that tony rate 10 then cap thet rates 12

Yes ok a little counterintuitive, but he does try to give a clarification.
in fact.

My thoughts and opinions on the few caps I've played with line up perfectly with Tonys thoughts.
i don't ;)

I really think we are comparing personal opinions against personal opinions. Unless we see the data with personal opinions side by side, and the test data meaningfully explains the personal opinion, it will remain such. Tony Gees site is probably the largest collection of such, and is a valuable source to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't the only difference between the MR and CMR the copper leads and how they are connected to the cap body? If so, maybe that explains the small difference in Gee's scores.

I really think we are comparing personal opinions against personal opinions. Unless we see the data with personal opinions side by side, and the test data meaningfully explains the personal opinion, it will remain such. Tony Gees site is probably the largest collection of such, and is a valuable source to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gee's opinions are indeed his, but his 'data' does not come from an impartial source like a true, calibrated instrument would provide. Thus, the objectivists will remain skeptical of his methodology.

Thanks to all those who took the time to download and read my VDC Vs cap performance paper.

Isn't the only difference between the MR and CMR the copper leads and how they are connected to the cap body? If so, maybe that explains the small difference in Gee's scores.
not only copper connection, but also and for me most important great reduction of ESR, in fact the new CMR series is less long and more diameter than MR.
you can see the dimensions on their site.

I agree that with most PP film type caps, ESR is already in the realm of mili-ohms vs what was typical of lytics (e.g. 1/4 to 1/3 ohm). Getting down to nano-ohms is insignificant to me.
As far as the change in shape is concerned, it's all about the winding technology and how shorter, larger diameter caps can be wound that greatly reduce the likely hood of internal resonances developing. That improved was found some years back with CC's study that led to the MR's development which I wrote about in my VDC vs cap performance paper linked in an earlier post by me. Most cap makers are moving toward that general improvement.

FINALLY, Tony has reviewed the Bennic FPP. This cap is what I assume Parts Express uses for their standard Dayton caps. I have hated this cap ever since I got into this hobby 10 years ago - before I came an 'audiophool'. In fact I would say that this cap and their poor quality Jantzen inductors (the cheap ones) are responsible for me pursuing higher quality components.

I have considered the Bennic cap a 'control' test of sorts because there are practically no real reviews of its sound quality by audiophiles. I have just had to stay confident in my own opinion. Now Tony has reviewed and he nails it *exactly* with my own experience. It is a s****y cap that ruins the sound every frickin time I try to use it. The worst cap I have used, period. Avoid. Unfortunately many of the diy folks who build from Parts Express and their forum use these caps. Too bad.

Happy to have my ears independently vindicated.

The Jantzen air coils they've been selling for years. They've recently introduced their own Dayton brand that look similar to Erse. Perhaps those are better. I've compared the cheap Jantzens to other air and foil inductors. The differences between the rest were not that big. The Jantzens however have a grainy harsh presentation. I used to use them back when I first started this hobby and I didn't understand why everything sounded grainy with splashy annoying mids and treble - and I was building well known and popular designs. All that stopped when I got rid of the Dayton/Bennic caps, Jantzen inductors, and their gold plated sand resistors (everyone knows the resistors are cheap because they are notorious for leads breaking).

Apparently there are others who feel the same about the inductors at the PE forum.

I can get both these capacitors at RS or Element14 for a relatively cheap price

Ampohm fp-ca--au, which are now made by LCR. I have one in a midrange in my coral speakers and also in series with a Janzten Superior Z in the tweeter of my bookshelf speakers.

Question is
CDE 940C vs Ampohm(LCR), both score the same on Tony's website but he added the CDE940C to his favourite list, the Ampohm - absolute detail is close almost to the Audyn pluss and Supreme

I am using them as an output capacitor in my phonostage

Personal opinion it maybe but at least we get a rough idea of how the cap sounds like from Tony’s review regardless of his rankings. I recently mod & build a totally new XO for my ML Odyssey & caps selected was a mix of Tony’s review which turns out outstanding. And yes stay away from Bennic & for me Solen as well.

Btw its fine & dandy to discuss about the sound of caps but I’ve never seen an indepth discussion about resistor sound in example XO. From my experiments, I dare say that they affect sound as much as caps does.

Hi analog_sa I’ve compared wire wounds from stock Ohmite , Mills MRA, Mundorf M resist supreme & mox. All had different sound in the same location. M resist Supreme sounded best among the lot but there was more emphasis towards the highs. Then a suggestion by fellow member Eldam came about. That peak my curiousity & price wise reasonable. Ordered them to try & I have to say, it is as close to no sonic signature of its own, superb transparency, speed & grainless. The resistor that I speak of is call Powetrons think its the T218. Got to mount them on small heat sinks though & it’ll handle 30 watts. If your game go give it a try, bet you’ll be in for a real surprise.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.