This is what happens...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok now pls add a simulated headphone circuit for a load -- some L and HF resonance. Then do the group delay of it at load.

The data shown tell you what the network is doing- that IS the point of network analysis. Changing the load will give you predictable results, which I'm sure you can calculate.

This seems to have just as much effect as the speaker cables they used to sell which had a potted network consisting of nothing on one end and a 150R on the other.

Generally the way this works is reasons and evidence are provided to support assertions.

The reason is that in order to achieve the best common mode rejection (which is the whole raison d'être of balanced interfaces), the noise needs to be common mode to begin with. An imbalance of impedances results in some noise being converted to normal mode rather than staying common mode. I hope that here of all places I don't have to provide evidence of how a differential input works.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The data shown tell you what the network is doing- that IS the point of network analysis. Changing the load will give you predictable results, which I'm sure you can calculate.

This seems to have just as much effect as the speaker cables they used to sell which had a potted network consisting of nothing on one end and a 150R on the other.

I am interested in the group-delay only..... with a complex load. If you give me the values used, I'll do the work myself, if you wish.

Why? Because normally G-Delay is what Bruce creates cable/filters for.... a Bessel filter network for a specific speaker.

THx-RNMarsh

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just for a hoot I googled "balanced audio interconnect" and the second result linked me to Rane app note which had this handy text

balanced line The IEC standard on amplifiers explains a balanced interface by saying that "The purpose of a balanced interface is to transfer a desired signal as a differential voltage on two signal lines." (IEC 60268-3:2001, page 111). It goes on to explain "... only the common-mode impedance balance of the driver, line, and receiver play a role in noise or interference rejection. This noise or interference rejection property is independent of the presence of a desired differential signal. Therefore, it can make no difference whether the desired signal exists entirely on one line, as a greater voltage on one line than the other, or as equal voltage on both of them."

So we also have the IEC spec for Amplifiers also agreeing on the meaning of balanced, and not hard to find. sooo. @rdf: got ANYTHING to support your views?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Why? Because normally G-Delay is what Bruce creates cable/filters for.... a Bessel filter network for a specific speaker.

THx-RNMarsh

So he does a different filter for every speaker out there? (and by implication every headphone out there?

Looking at the $10k of pure marketing here SL-Matrix 90 Speaker Interface | Speaker Interfaces | Available in Stores | MIT Cables there is no mentino of it being adapted for anything in particular, other than people with deep pockets.

I am interested in the group-delay only..... with a complex load. If you give me the values used, I'll do the work myself, if you wish.

I posted the values. 50R source, 300R load. You can derive anything you need from the network transfer curve I have shown.

You might want to read the relevant patent app instead of the old one about speaker cables- which this isn't.

So he does a different filter for every speaker out there? (and by implication every headphone out there?

That's what was being claimed in the Vero marketing. Going to see if we can hold of a Sennheiser HD-800 version and compare the component values to those on the board that's in the cable that was sent to SY, which was an Audeze LCD cable.

se

The cable that was sent to SY was made for Audeze LCD headphones, which are planarmagnetics and have a flat, resistive impedance curve, and by definition, a flat group delay.

You're just going to have to resign yourself to the fact that Brisson is and always has been nothing but a quack and a charlatan.

se

HAHAHAHA!

Oh man! This is some industrial strength irony!

Bruce flubbed up on those "balanced" cables because he wasn't aware that in the headphone arena, "balanced" is the term they use for bridged amplifiers.

I was looking through his patents to see what other of his patents could possibly be construed to applying to the Vero.

Well in 1999, he managed to secure a patent for bridging a pair of amplifiers (something people were doing long before his 1997 filing date) and in his patent, he refers to it as "balanced."

HAHAHAHAHA!

What a maroon.

Check patent number 5,914,636.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.