There can only be one!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MA Pluvia 7 ordered. TB were more per driver at $51 for TB $45 for MA, with PE >$100 order free shipping the TB were a little less $.

Now I need best enclosures...teardrops for desktop? or?

OH, Important info- the girlfriend works all this weekend. Can build the boxes easy in two days without her knowing!

oh removed the tc9 from cart. so it both the w5-2143 and the pluvia7 for the final build-s
i will pick the one i like the best. How do I break in the pluvias without annoying the queen? soundproof box?

I honestly do not know what some folks get wrong with the TC9FD18-08. I have 8 pairs of speakers. Some of which are very highly regarded. I care not a wit about brand and have no stake in that game, but these little TC9 based speakers contend with the best of them.

Also, these have not needed any break in. They came out of the box singing their ***** off. When I first hooked them up, I thought I was tripping. No way could I get hooked by a speaker that fast beyond finding the right crossover point all set it, and forget it like. That's right. That's all I have done to them other than bumped the 16khz slider a smidge on the EQ. Other than that, everything else going to them is flat.

They sounded so good, in fact, that I dumped another $100 on two matching Peerless 8" SLS subs to complete the system. Yes, I could live with this little system, stand alone.

R5BgEG5.jpg

Granted, the little sealed subs needed some EQ help, but ended up being a pretty incredible sounding rig.

And that's the cue for the regular posters to jump in and start bashing on the TC9.

But, MrBoat, there are plenty of us out there that think the TC9 is a mighty fine driver selling at a more than reasonable price for that kind of performance.

It's even the shining star of the original design that you cloned in your living room, a system that costs up to $5,000 out there!

so it both the w5-2143 and the pluvia7 for the final build-s
i will pick the one i like the best

The outcome could be interesting - keep us posted. I am also very interested in both these drivers - they seem to compare well from a price point and enclosure possibilities. Read some good stuff about both, but have not seen many builds with them here yet, especially the TB.

And that's the cue for the regular posters to jump in and start bashing on the TC9.

But, MrBoat, there are plenty of us out there that think the TC9 is a mighty fine driver selling at a more than reasonable price for that kind of performance.

It's even the shining star of the original design that you cloned in your living room, a system that costs up to $5,000 out there!

I was kind of embarrassed to make such claims from the cheap seats. I've been listening to nice speakers for over 40 years and with having been through a few rather significant audio trends in that time.

funny Turk!

is sailormanbigd starting to feel the "quickening" yet as he narrows his choices...or will the girlfriend end his saga with outright refusal....stay tuned folks.

that's TOO funny! lmao I did look out the back window this morning to see if there was a wicker man in the back yard!

i AM EXCITED no doubt. I always get excited with a new potentially awesome build. I am still not decided on the cabs for this build. THey will both be used for desktop computer setup so will need to be rather tall and as narrow as possible without compromising sound capabilities. Or I could put a wedge under them to angle drivers toward ear height?

So what is the opinion of the best cabs for this purpose? Airiness, openness, widest soundstageness, definitioness, without any shoutness, or lockness-ness!lol lots of nessi's

taking votes today only
tomorrow morning will be my covert operation to cut panels, assemble, and hide in shed before the damp rag gets home at 2000! Dave: email was sent yesterday

No matter what small driver you choose, 4" or smaller, you need those subs to go with. And that means easier integration if you make either sealed boxes or maybe if you have a sub that can go up to 5-700hz and do a narrow OB.

5" and up you can make do without subs, but a 5" can get really loud if you have a 10" to do the grunt work. But a single 8" sub may not be enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.