There can only be one!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe check for pictures through google and at least see what she will tolerate.

My wife didn't mine 6' tall open baffle because it looked slim, 16" wide main section with 24" deep wings angled back.

But my wife said no to a speaker that looks like Carver Amazing, otherwise, I get the front wall so long as I try not to block what is left of the front double wide window around the tv.

I've been fortunate to have my women turn audiophile, even though it wasn't a priority of theirs. The compromise was, I pay for this pad too, so either I get what I want or I get a man room for it. My current GF bought a home with a convertible garage. She knows about all my hobbies and I reckon that's part of the intrigue. She digs my skills.

Final speaker is always going to include a sub unless it's a potent 3-way. They afford a lot of flexibility and one can always turn the subs off.

Currently addicted to these little Nola clones and recently finished the Dayton RSS subs that manage to work with this room with a lot of different speakers.

If this is all I had left, I'd be happy with it. IMO, incredible sounding little speakers and I am indeed, filling this room with them. No, you cannot find the two subs or the speakers in the room.

1IrGKlh.jpg

As much as I love the little clones, I'm not going to give up my Tempests, which is actually what the subs are matched with.
n3UH6rK.jpg

With that said, last pair of speakers would be big ones like the Tempests, and the little FR speakers could be stashed in a drawer and brought out whenever.

My home is well lived in. Speakers actually make it look better. :)

Isn’t this the “full range” forum?

Yes. The small speakers are made up of Peerless TC9, full range drivers. Also have MA Alpair 10.3's and some others waiting.

This "WAF" thing I keep reading about, has seemingly castrated modern audio in spite of it's advancements. What a weird limitation.

I'll read page after page of countless favorable speaker attributes, only to have it sink with the final, "My woman would never go for that." Totally mooting everything that has been claimed before it. In other words, "WAF," apparently gives not a damn what many men may know about speakers. They're going to humbly squeeze whatever "SWMBO" allows. As if!

Turn the tables Gents.

If she says she doesn't like your hobby, tell her you'll change it...
...to skydiving.

If she says you need to put your things away, tell her 'Sure, I'll just take your shoes out of the closet so I can.'

If she doesn't like the size of your speakers, you ask her 'But honey, I thought you liked spending time together?' When she stares at you blankly you respond 'I enjoy music but if I'm not allowed to listen with you then...'

If she thinks they're too large show her some really big ones you are 'hoping to build next.'

Give SWMBO what she needs and be kind to her and you'd be amazed at what you're actually allowed.

I have not placed the order for the w5 yet as I would like some kind of confirmed box design. I once tried to copy Linkwize design with a pipe pointing up and a cylinder above it. Spent hundreds of hours to build and the outcome didn’t sound good! Put it out for the garbage man sans drivers,

You have your heart set on the W5-2143?
Are you going to match it with some woofers?

Here's a sim that should hit the spot for this particular driver.

Attachments

• TB W5-2143.jpg
    TB W5-2143.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 205
Listen to Cal

Turn the tables Gents.

If she says she doesn't like your hobby, tell her you'll change it...
...to skydiving.

If she says you need to put your things away, tell her 'Sure, I'll just take your shoes out of the closet so I can.'

If she doesn't like the size of your speakers, you ask her 'But honey, I thought you liked spending time together?' When she stares at you blankly you respond 'I enjoy music but if I'm not allowed to listen with you then...'

If she thinks they're too large show her some really big ones you are 'hoping to build next.'

Give SWMBO what she needs and be kind to her and you'd be amazed at what you're actually allowed.

Cal has a pair of every speaker known to man! So he must be doing something right! I saw a pic or two a while back, made me feel I wasn’t so obsessed after all! Lol he said something like he makes a pair, listens to them and then stores them in his basement? Or some where? Cal if that’s not you then, nevermind

Oh, my bad

Yes. The small speakers are made up of Peerless TC9, full range drivers. Also have MA Alpair 10.3's and some others waiting.

This "WAF" thing I keep reading about, has seemingly castrated modern audio in spite of it's advancements. What a weird limitation.

I'll read page after page of countless favorable speaker attributes, only to have it sink with the final, "My woman would never go for that." Totally mooting everything that has been claimed before it. In other words, "WAF," apparently gives not a damn what many men may know about speakers. They're going to humbly squeeze whatever "SWMBO" allows. As if!

I googled NOLA and saw they were a trio, something like tweeter, open baffle, and closed woofer?

Not set at all, really

You have your heart set on the W5-2143?
Are you going to match it with some woofers?

Here's a sim that should hit the spot for this particular driver.

Gonna use an 8” sub under desk. I heard Things like best driver I have heard, ever. And I heard them all... well then I hear one guy has very bad hearing! Can’t hear above 10-12khz, another put it in a production mfg box, like Panasonic? It’s either a super d duper driver and will sing put into anything,or....maybe he can’t tell the difference? I like the price, the sensitivity, the reviews if they hold any salt? I can’t find an enclosure I can settle on, XKI has one that uses karlsonator but I would half to go thru the massive thread to pic out the details.
Dave of planet 10 has an actual drawing that looks promising, I think it is golden ratio where he shows mounting driver on different sides. I would like the driver on the skinny side but the port comes out the side so not sure that would work so hot. Als, Dave doesn’t worry about spl or excursion limits, but I do. I like to crank it when the she devil is not around! My hearing is not so good either! I have tinnitus or ringing pretty loud, and can’t hear above 10khz, and have problems with some frequencies like 1500-2500hz, if there’s a rise in that area it drives me nuts, turn it off nuts.

I did a 2way BMR in a small box hung on a small bedroom wall that really sounds good and smooth but I goes to hell when I turn it up very loud. Little cheap square one about 2” and a 3.5” for bellow 10khz.

I just finished the sub today, a Trisha, and am disappointed somewhat. Not enough umpf. Used the watt?

Grandaughter is getting the sub and a mini version of Zaphs bargain mini, boxes cut, one glued up. So I need to come up with something so I can cut and build right along with the granddaughters build to hide it from prying eyes!!!

Unfortunately the squiggly lines of your graph response curve are lost on me, looks spikey to me though? Especially big down spike at 1200hz and upward one a 2000hz middle graph. Sorry but I prob don’t got it right, was that in an infinite baffle? Box?

That’s why I have asked. Everyone for their opinion. Wade thru and decide on something? Soon!

I am back to thinking pluvia7 in a narrowish tall enclosure tuned below say 80hz to pair with one sub? Price is good and smaller optimum box than w5 ???

WAF

As far as WAF goes, the straw-man approach has seemed effective for me:

"...Some wives worry about their husbands going out boozing, gambling, wild-womening or even drugs....but none of that for me (well maybe a bit of drink or smoke at times)....I stay home and save us money by building economical amps and speakers so that we may spend quality time at home with great music for our dining and dancing pleasure....ya, that's me"

It works.

Mario

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...And I heard them all...

No-one has heard them all… there are far to many these days. I have heard an aweful lot more than most.

If you want a CGR for the TB it would be a custom design…. eMail me.

Excursion, especially if using a woofer, and power handling are not really things you really need to worry much about in a home environment, even at fairly high levels… and nither of these specifications are set in stone (Excursion more so than power handling) so it it next to impossible to compare one brand against another. Using either as a decider is not a good path…

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.