The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Went fishing today....in 2 minutes my back went into a short-term spasm, so I spent a lot of the day just reading a book in the car and taking pics of the close by action!

Not much of a day all told, and then to fiind that all you DoDos have taken flight :)scratch1:) has really sealed it as being a day best forgotten!!! :mad:. [I'd probably have had more success looking by trash cans for a pair of Tannoy Silvers!:D

you do realy fly fish! i thought it was a joke!

awsome! i love to fly fish.
got me through a devorce!
somthing about the casting that takes you away and even a bad day with no bites is fun and relaxing.

what kinda flys do you use over there?
what kind of rod was it he broke?
what weight rod do you favor?

i use a 6 for farting around with and 8 for big fun stuff.

Hi CornFlake.

got me through a devorce!
In my case more likely to cause another!!
somthing about the casting that takes you away and even a bad day with no bites is fun and relaxing. Teh, just like soldering MC cartridges - inside.
what kinda flys do you use over there Just Google salmon flies = Tweed, Tay.

We use spey rods - 13' to 18'. generally around 15'. Tne broken one - a Sage TCX 15'

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomas, I know you are C&W fan and I'm sure you've heard this song but Jimmy's version is the best AFAIC.

Jimmy Buffett. -West Nashville Ballroom Gown - YouTube

West Nashville - still the home of some fairly well off "old money" Nashville families. In today's world a lot of them have moved to the gated communities of Brentwood - but there are still some very open places that you would be surprised who you might bump into. I just try real hard to stay out of Al Gore's neck of the woods...... :rolleyes:

I love Jimmy - he's a good guy.

What the heck is with the desert scrubgrass photo's? It sure as heck doesn't look like that around here.....

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Everything in life I needed to know, I learned from Jimmy Buffett.

Next stop - Margaritaville!

No scrubgrass in your neck?

No scrubgrass around here Cal - plenty green and lots of treez.....

Where I lived az a kid in Northern Texas - there we had lots of scrub grass.

When I lived in Cali we had grass that had been scrubbed...... :hypno1:

Attachments

• Nashvill Map.jpg
    Nashvill Map.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
You're just sore because you felt a deep longing for a ciggy at the sight of the word 'BIC'.:D
Today is day 300. Yes I'm still counting. I confess that during sleepy time, I do dream about having smokes, on average about once a week. In the dream I wonder why I am smoking, when I know that I have quit but I don't seem to care a whole lot, just the recognition that I have fallen off the wagon.

Then I wake up all happy it was a dream. Cravings are few and far between and only last till I have a shot or two of whisky.

Uh...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Seriously Cal....I admire you for that. :):cool:

I am now worried as I have to have surgery - going to see the anesthetist on tuesday. Hate the idea of it, but the surgeon will not do the work by local. (Its a bad inguinal hernia and needs to be patched). My 'habit' is the main cause of my worry.:mad:

Watch out for them using surgical mesh...... My wife had it a couple of years ago and we had to have it removed a couple of months ago. The healing process was long a painful.... This time her new doctor used pig skin....:eek:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sorry to hear that c2c. Is SWMBO better now? Hope so.

The surgery was to fix her up from bearing three large baby's from her 1st marriage. Carrying that load around sort of stretched things out and getting married to me - well that pretty much did her in - and so she needed one of those "female" operations to put things back right. Man - the things that women have to do for us guyz and their baby's. It's a good thing that we have women around because most guyz would never go through that sort of stuff.....

So - She iz healed up from that one. Today we went to back surgeon to see what we can do about the lower back. To many years of bending over I guess..... but that is a story for another time.......:rolleyes:

I am dubious re pig-skin..................too close to the bacon, and may cause me to tell porkies!

I'm rash enough already, and don't want to become any rasher.
It has worked well for SWMBO - and in some parts of the world she will not have to worry about being eaten for dinner..... :eek:

Not realizing what 'pigskin' was in this context, I googled it..........that stuff is expensive. Must be rubbed with snakeoil?

The cost of normal private patient inguinal hernia surgery is around US$ 2,500 - 3K here. That pig-skin stuff, if used, adds about 7-8K!!! As my op is for a large hernia. the cost increases by a multiple of about 6!! :(:(

As you know this type of service is free here in the UK - and is used by rich and poor alike. There is no way that the gov. will fund that sort of outlay, despite the risk of even costlier problems arising.

Glad the Missus is now well again.:)

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I use to do PA and simultaneous translation as sound engineer when I was 16

around late 70 worked with the old which that now is dead (EC congress)
no did not do Regan was told do not came to work tomorow (yup they had me on Radar already

We did quite a few medical congress and such the size and price and wariety of screws was just fascinating and screw drivers went for a few K at the time

I use to do PA and simultaneous translation as sound engineer when I was 16

around late 70 worked with the old which that now is dead (EC congress)
no did not do Regan was told do not came to work tomorow (yup they had me on Radar already

We did quite a few medical congress and such the size and price and wariety of screws was just fascinating and screw drivers went for a few K at the time

I would really like to have heard some of that!:)