The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

re-worked tub?

Not me, me voyager this afternoon to check out a 90ft sloop tub that requires re-work.

Confiscated and auctioned by the port authority a couple of years ago, after the (foreign) owner got stranded in R'dam and couldn't pay the stacked-up bills of several years. Real bargain sale, imo.
The (relatively young) buyers gave it a work-over, also made a web site to offer the yacht for charter.
But more money than knowledge of boat building, so it appears. They spent a s...load of cash on the refit, but did a lot of work themselves.
Without realising that sailing yachts with steel hulls require expertise, think SS rigging hardware, in particular with aluminum superstructures.
Serious corrosion issues from stern to bow, possibly in combination with an empty wallet.

YooHoo, wave back at the fool.

Attachments

• Beep.jpeg
    Beep.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 91
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Im still around here somewhere guys. Just some things caught up on me and I had to change focus for a while. Not on a pole or in the tub, more taking care of some business. Kiddos granny (not on my side) got cancer and stuff changed, well you know... irl stuff.

I putted the audioprojects aside for a while and took the bull by the horns on some other neglected stuff. Now I have my old cafe racer on the balcony, fixing peice by peice in the apartment.

Ill be back terrorising you when you least expect it.

Till then, peace!

Attachments

• impulse H2 lh2.jpg
    impulse H2 lh2.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 71
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Dodos!

The cat's away so the mouse will play. My honey headed to California for a week. Wahoo!

Now can you guys remind me what I'm supposed to do while she's away?

hehe

What are you asking any of us for? We are sitting around reading this stuff scribbled on the Pub's water closet walls for a good time (and looking up research papers on how to stop hiccups)..... :eek:

Ah! I misunderstood.

I have always found in similar circumstances that I generally do those things which simply can't be covered up before she returns.

The absolute worst was about 15 years ago I decided to make a solid carbon beam and central boss unipivot tone-arm. HAve you ever worked this material? it has a slightly greasy content and when I had finished sanding the pieces the whole kitchen had a grey overcoat. It took me three days to get the bulk of the damned stuff off, and even then everything still looked grey. I had to get professional cleaners in to get the job done. I forgot to mention that the kitchen had started out as being brilliant arctic white - every damn bit of it including the floor. Then I had to redecorate the whole place.

So that is something not to do! I think probably be tidy and do what you really want to do which will not - later - make you feel in anyway guilty or ashamed. Perhaps something totally new to you?

I find being alone is the best time to listen to music, I no longer drink much and look back at the utter waste of money and, taken to constant excess, evasion of facts that is always regretted later.

And funnily the more you enjoy yourself (innocently) the more you may appreciate her return.

Last edited:
NOT Scotch....Irish!

Seriously though, I enjoy a whisky now and then, though at one time had a hell of a taste for it, I don't often drink now - by choice rather than because I am on medications which do not work too well with a 'habit'. I am fortunate in that I never had alcoholic dependancy and was a so called "social" drinker. But cigarettes are another matter - I am dependant on a higher usage. But I only smoke in my corner of a large kitchen....my keyboard is full of ash.

My preference is for a good blended plain brand whisky - usually "Famous Grouse" cut with plain water at about 50:50. I now prefer decent Bordeaux wines - which I can drink, but then I need a decent cheese with it to give a good contrast. I hate most light beers and like Guinness. Don't do other spirits in any form.

When - some 30 years ago - I was about Cal's age, I would be keen and raring to go when in his present situation.

Booze can be very enjoyable, but - when control is lost - can be the real Devil's poison. I have been lucky, but I know plenty of guys - and women - who have sunk without trace into personal hell, or in some cases who have died in their early mid-age.

yah i know what you mean with the hell on earth with drinking! i have freinds that have a problem.

i was asking cause ur tag says scottish border. i like to sip a good aged scotch every now and then. ive been surfing the net for a good single malt from the lowlands was looking for a sugestion of a good small batch "mom and pop" kinda scotch recomendation.
i was thinking someone around here might know a brand that id never heard of. like the craft beer around here.

i like red wine. my father inlaw makes cab every year by the DRUM!
i cant stand most wiskey. but, i like a good scotch, makes no sence.

When - some 30 years ago - I was about Cal's age
You must have had a few birthdays since I last checked. I thought you were a spry young man in his 70's practicing hurdling? :)

Hey, if I was still 40, I might even remember how I'm supposed to misbehave. Now that the half century mark is behind me, I have to admit that a failing memory is probably a good thing. If I could think of all things bad, how would my body keep up?

CAL:

Last hurdle race I was in was when I was less than 50% your age....in my case over 50 years ago!! And I had the benefit of a good horse under me (the only thing to beat a bad woman). ;)

Some residual pain remains from recent antics, but now improving daily, even wet-shaved this morning:wchair::rolleyes:. ..I have a full day's fishing tomorrow so won't be bothering any DoDos. Still want a week on the Cascapedia!:yes:

How are you bearing up to the monastic life?:rofl::rofl:

Corn Flake:

First, clarification of terms so that we know what we are talking about. Over here (UK),
whiskey = Irish :cool:
whisky=Scotch:cool:
All other versions are foreign:eek: and other than RockaBilly wanabes few drink what you would call whiskey. I too have never liked the stuff - to the extent that I have tried it on but three occasions. :sad: But I do like some American fly rods.:cheerful:

Got those sticky finger marks off your CDs yet?