The OFFICIAL "Snail Shell" Thread!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
meade916 said:

Another system I helped out with used a pair of kicker 12" subs in a ported enclosure. It was in a honda hatch back and was run off of an orion I belive. It was hitting consistantly 156's

this is my problem....your FOS - wheres your stats? Im in the "mid 150's" and look how much equipment it takes. The world record for a Street A or even B car is not even to the mid 50's yet (close) and they are TOTALLY tuned for SPL. Show me your stats, if you can do this you must be an established competitor.

This guy compeated regularly in MECA not Dbdrag, as for the details I don't remember as it was about three years ago that I was helping him out. I did compeate with him at one even that was using the new termlab mic and he was at around 152 at that event. If I can find his info again I will post it.

I have to say I don't understand why you are so upset by what I am saying. You make it sound like what I am talking about is impossible but we both know that they are easily within the relm of reason. I have seen many amzing car setups that you wouldn't think are loud but they were able to hit some pretty amazing numbers. My first system, which I built a long time ago, consisted on two 8" subs. With a $25 amp pushing possibly 200wrms I hit 134.9. Later when I had a better amp I unofficialy hit in the low 140's. At this time I was talking to a guy online who had a very similar setup (my enclosure was scaled down to fit my car, his wasn't) and he was hitting 152 with the old mic. With how far subs and amps have come in the past few years I could probebly recreate that enclosure with better subs and a good amp and be in the 150's on the new mic. I'm not going to due to the fact that I have grown out of SPL and have moved to SQ.

DJNUBZ said:
I have to say I don't understand why you are so upset by what I am saying. You make it sound like what I am talking about is impossible but we both know that they are easily within the relm of reason. I have seen many amzing car setups that you wouldn't think are loud but they were able to hit some pretty amazing numbers. My first system, which I built a long time ago, consisted on two 8" subs. With a $25 amp pushing possibly 200wrms I hit 134.9. Later when I had a better amp I unofficialy hit in the low 140's. At this time I was talking to a guy online who had a very similar setup (my enclosure was scaled down to fit my car, his wasn't) and he was hitting 152 with the old mic. With how far subs and amps have come in the past few years I could probebly recreate that enclosure with better subs and a good amp and be in the 150's on the new mic. I'm not going to due to the fact that I have grown out of SPL and have moved to SQ. [/QUOT]

Im not upset, i just know fact from fiction and the internet is full of BS claims. When i see them, for some reason i gotta say something. I think you got the NEW TL mic mixed up with the old one because that is the only way you or your buddys are doing those numbers are with the old mic. Anything can happen with those. Your talking about 3 years ago? New Sensor wasnt out 3 years ago. The only thing i could ALMOST believe would be the 134.9 with the 8's - im not buying your 2 8's on a "better amp" doing low 140's. Ya a little tweekin of the box to get to the 150's on the new mic.......dude that tells me right there you have no competition experience.

Take a chill pill and quit BS'n - me and you wont have to argue so much.

meade916 doesn't seem to have worked out the quote system yet now has he.... maybe that says something about the intelligence of the people from the P4S forum... :D :D :D :nod: :nod: :nod:

anyway I'm still waiting for someong to explain in the 6.5inch video.. how the people are talking, and you can hear them over the music... when the guy in the car is saying its so loud it hurts? lol :xeye: Must be the magic of the box... :smash: :smash: :smash:

hey, like I said, its the 6.5inch video I don't believe... I'm sure the other boxes may ad a few dB to the output :)

Wow this thread has become hostile! Calm down guys....

Here's my whole take of the situation.... The video is definately too subjective. The people they say are experts may not be, and simply saying wow that sounds like a 15" sub doesnt mean anything.

Remember there are alot of crappy 15" subs out there, and you KNOW that those audiobahn 6.5's could outperform a few of them in any enclosure. Of course there are alot of 15" subs out there which would make those audiobahns sound like an alarm clock radio.

I think the real discussion here should be about what makes up the snailshell enclosure. It seems like a custom transmission line if you ask me.

I'd imagine someone has sent an email to the snailshell guys, any responses? Maybe someone ought to tell them we have a big discussion about the snailshell at DIYaudio.com, then maybe they could just come here and tell everyone whatever they might have to say.

BassAwdyO said:

I'd imagine someone has sent an email to the snailshell guys, any responses? Maybe someone ought to tell them we have a big discussion about the snailshell at DIYaudio.com, then maybe they could just come here and tell everyone whatever they might have to say.

I've spoken to him in the past, can't rememer what he refered to it as, but it sounded like some bs term he made up on the spot... lol :smash: hey, meade916 came from the P4S forum, and is a moderator... maybe he can pass the word along :D

they have nothing to say... they won't answer ANY questions. sound a little sus? :p

meade916 said:

whatever anyone says, i can tell you at least your getting a great product. It will sound extremely nice, its not meant to win an SPL contest. The build quality is TOP NOTCH no shortcuts - all the "inner works" of the box are completely round, no 45's or 90's so this thing takes some craftsmanship. I dont own one myself but i know john and brian personally....and ive heard many SS boxes myself - its a great product. If you havent heard one i dont see how anyone can come to a conclusion good or bad.......but ask anyone who already took a chance and bought one. Not one person has ever been dissapointed or just plain pissed. Got to http://www.powered4sound.com/phpBB2/index.php and ask some folks who own one their opinion....i mean if you guys are gonna believe everything bad you read from people who have never heard one you may as well take a listen to those who have made the purchase.

http://www.bigboyzaudio.com/board/board_topic/1241819/84875.htm
No shortcuts............................sure! I'd say waiting up to 3 months for a box, only to be told that "perfection takes time" , is one hell of a shortcut!

SkinnyBoy said:
heres the "sister" thread to this one...

http://www.powered4sound.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1833&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

and look.. I've been offered a WHOLE $100 when I can build a box and have the same amount of customers and supporters of my box as P4S have... WOW!! $100US :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

well if you got the skills do it....i dont know what the market in australia is for boxes though, better find a regular job first.

LOLOL dont you guys still have people running around with spears and paint on their faces? See if those guys want one of your boxes.

DJNUBZ said:
I have compeated in the past but don't do so currently. Mabey you need to take a look at whats going on outside cali. Hell take a look at the crazy 8 comps. There are many guys out there compeating in many associations. Mabey things have changed recently but that doesn't change what I am saying.

surrrrrrrrrrrrrrre youve "compeated"

I think driving across the country to KC, Missouri for world finals counts as "going outside cali" dont ya think? Theres a difference between an established competitor doing crazy 8's and pulling decent numbers - and you with your $25 amp claiming numbers BIGGER than theirs.

Dont try and school me on other oganizations and whats going on "outside cali" cuz im guessing i know a thing or two or ten more than you about SPL comps.

tiznaki said:

http://www.bigboyzaudio.com/board/board_topic/1241819/84875.htm
No shortcuts............................sure! I'd say waiting up to 3 months for a box, only to be told that "perfection takes time" , is one hell of a shortcut!

some of the boxes seem to take a lil too long IMO to get to the customers but i think that is a thing of the past.....they are getting them out much faster now. Dont listen to that idiot MATT who is trying to bring them down because of a business arguement that has nothing to do with the net. Theres two sides to every story and those guys for the most part have kept it out of everyones business like any RESPECTABLE person would. How would you like to get in an arguement with your girl and she runs out and tells the world all your problems and makes up a few things on the way? Its wrong of him to be posting that crap.

xstephanx said:
I thought you hit a 150 something in the video? either way that is crazy loud, keep up the good work.

And how come people start a convo on SSs it always turns out to be a hatred battle?

on the New TL i do consistant 154-155 at the dash with music and a consistant 156-157 with test tones or "burping".....i was only being a smart *** ;) I have never metered my current setup on an old mic but im guessing id be in the mid 160's if i did. That dont matter much though, it would only be for fun - old mics are too unreliable and noone who knows anything uses them or gives a damn about them anymore.

It always turns into a hatred battle because everyone who has anything bad to say is a HATER pure and simple....no one who has ever bought one or actually heard one has ever hated on it. Only the "dont knows" who spend to much time on the net reading and making up stuff as they go along.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.