The OFFICIAL "Snail Shell" Thread!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Huge? I guess that is relative. One 12" sub and one huge amp still is relatively cheap. It may not be as cheap as two 6.5"s and a good amp but it's still not a huge expense. I just think it's cool being loud with small speakers. If you guys want to build a loud enclosure and don't mind steping upto 8" subs I have a play that has hit (for someone else not me) 152db on the dash. I built the same enclosure but I had to scale it down so it wasn't as loud.

Huge? I guess that is relative. One 12" sub and one huge amp still is relatively cheap. It may not be as cheap as two 6.5"s and a good amp but it's still not a huge expense. I just think it's cool being loud with small speakers. If you guys want to build a loud enclosure and don't mind steping upto 8" subs I have a play that has hit (for someone else not me) 152db on the dash. I built the same enclosure but I had to scale it down so it wasn't as loud.

What sort of meter ?

yeah,But theres still no proof that the tiny snailshell does produce lots of SPL. There is proof that the expensive systems do. Simple as that...im not quite sure what your debating

It was an SUV but I don't remember what kind (I've installed a lot of systems)
driver was a RE XXX 15"
Enclosure size was the recomended ported enclosure size (don't remember specifics)
JL 1000/1
No electical upgrades
run off of an aftermarker pioneer (or was it alpine).

Another system I helped out with used a pair of kicker 12" subs in a ported enclosure. It was in a honda hatch back and was run off of an orion I belive. It was hitting consistantly 156's

if you have a dd 9512 or whatever, and youre doing REALLY big burps (say 8kw) in a walled out geo, then maybe you can hit a 168 on an older mic, but not the new tl or (cant remember the name off the top of my head) outlaw.

and besides, all they are trying to prove is that two 6.5s (add up to a bit more surface area than an 8") will either get low, or loud, not both, and definately not really either in an enclosure THAT small.

Theres something fishy going on there, theyre making too much profit off young imrepssionable "i wanna be louder with kikkker subz!!" 16 year olds. They always say things about how they really want to do measurements, and they need to be accurate, well id say that even a $60 mic is good enough to show transfer function in a car, even if its uncorrected. the only thing that confuses me, is bob of gately audio loving the snailshells.

Oh well, bottom line is, a snailshell is a box like any other, i think its hoffmans iron law? the one that says you can have small box size, efficiency, or low end, not all. Just becuase someone makes something a secret doesnt make it good. KFC for example:dead:

WOW!!!!!!

After far to long I finally downloaded the 6.5's like 15's video.All I can say is OH MY GOD!!! WOW!!! IT'S BRILLIANT!!! I kept thinking that all this SS hype was total bs what with the lack of proof, the lack of spl competitors making their 15's sound like 36's and the lack of anyone who doesn't seem to know the box building genius's making any comments about them. But all I can say is I'M IMPRESSED!! not only is everyone in the video completely impressed with those little subs so am I. Let me explain a little. Whilst playing with a signal generator I found that the low cut of my laptop was 100hz, anything less than that is inaudiable. But click play on that video and BANG! TWO OCTAVES OF EXTRA BASS!!!! AMAZING!! You all know the part in the video where a completely unbiased car audio expert is sitting in the car looking suitably impressed and the box building genius says "YEAH 29HZ" It's at this point I'm totaly knocked off my feet WOW!!! Why you may ask because not only can the completely unbiased car audio expert hear the 29hz so can I. TOTALLY AMAZING!!!!!!
Hmmmmm.......surely there must be a market for a video that makes the inaudiable audiable? all that worrying try to get a sub down to 20hz a thing of the past? the laws of physics suspended around my laptop? the most amazing box ever built? or could it be that somethings smelling slightly of the bull? Hmmmmmmmm..........
Obviously P4S will rush out and win every spl and sq comp they enter to prove all you obviously biased unintelligent car audio "expert" doubters wrong.

DJNUBZ said:
It was an SUV but I don't remember what kind (I've installed a lot of systems)
driver was a RE XXX 15"
Enclosure size was the recomended ported enclosure size (don't remember specifics)
JL 1000/1
No electical upgrades
run off of an aftermarker pioneer (or was it alpine).

Another system I helped out with used a pair of kicker 12" subs in a ported enclosure. It was in a honda hatch back and was run off of an orion I belive. It was hitting consistantly 156's

your not helping P4s or the SS by posting your own BS. My truck does a 156+ (on the TL sensor) and although im tuned to 30hz for music and not pure SPL it still takes more than you think to reach this level. Come down to cali so i can show you a REAL 156

Re: WOW!!!!!!

REDSKIN said:
After far to long I finally downloaded the 6.5's like 15's video.All I can say is OH MY GOD!!! WOW!!! IT'S BRILLIANT!!! I kept thinking that all this SS hype was total bs what with the lack of proof, the lack of spl competitors making their 15's sound like 36's and the lack of anyone who doesn't seem to know the box building genius's making any comments about them. But all I can say is I'M IMPRESSED!! not only is everyone in the video completely impressed with those little subs so am I. Let me explain a little. Whilst playing with a signal generator I found that the low cut of my laptop was 100hz, anything less than that is inaudiable. But click play on that video and BANG! TWO OCTAVES OF EXTRA BASS!!!! AMAZING!! You all know the part in the video where a completely unbiased car audio expert is sitting in the car looking suitably impressed and the box building genius says "YEAH 29HZ" It's at this point I'm totaly knocked off my feet WOW!!! Why you may ask because not only can the completely unbiased car audio expert hear the 29hz so can I. TOTALLY AMAZING!!!!!!
Hmmmmm.......surely there must be a market for a video that makes the inaudiable audiable? all that worrying try to get a sub down to 20hz a thing of the past? the laws of physics suspended around my laptop? the most amazing box ever built? or could it be that somethings smelling slightly of the bull? Hmmmmmmmm..........
Obviously P4S will rush out and win every spl and sq comp they enter to prove all you obviously biased unintelligent car audio "expert" doubters wrong.

You can believe or you can chose not to.....but are you saying 29hz is inaudible? I got a video at www.realmofexcursion.com of one of my boxes doing 150.8 @ 27hz doing the sickest hairtrick ive ever done.....i promise you you can hear 27hz.

bad news: a few haters, non believers out there

good news: people all over the world are talking about this....

whatever anyone says, i can tell you at least your getting a great product. It will sound extremely nice, its not meant to win an SPL contest. The build quality is TOP NOTCH no shortcuts - all the "inner works" of the box are completely round, no 45's or 90's so this thing takes some craftsmanship. I dont own one myself but i know john and brian personally....and ive heard many SS boxes myself - its a great product. If you havent heard one i dont see how anyone can come to a conclusion good or bad.......but ask anyone who already took a chance and bought one. Not one person has ever been dissapointed or just plain pissed. Got to http://www.powered4sound.com/phpBB2/index.php and ask some folks who own one their opinion....i mean if you guys are gonna believe everything bad you read from people who have never heard one you may as well take a listen to those who have made the purchase.

DJNUBZ said:
I found the info I was looking for. There was a car that hit 170 with a single 15" sub. Look under his past systems.

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=13416

and with guys hitting numbers like this with two 8" do you still think the video is implausable?

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=15285

dude nate is a monster.......a badass.......a legend.......

but thats the old mic it dont mean a damn thing these days. Like mike e has been trying to hammer into your head, that is apples and oranges anyway. I promise that 15 couldnt play anything below 50hz without smoking........i double promise that with the same db level.

meade916 said:

your not helping P4s or the SS by posting your own BS. My truck does a 156+ (on the TL sensor) and although im tuned to 30hz for music and not pure SPL it still takes more than you think to reach this level. Come down to cali so i can show you a REAL 156

I don't know what your problem is but I have been in many cars that have hit 150+ on the new mic and a few in the low 160 (not actualy in car). I have installed many systems during my time as an installer for tweeter. I don't BS.

meade916 said:

dude nate is a monster.......a badass.......a legend.......

but thats the old mic it dont mean a damn thing these days. Like mike e has been trying to hammer into your head, that is apples and oranges anyway. I promise that 15 couldnt play anything below 50hz without smoking........i double promise that with the same db level.

The reason I was pointing this out was to show what could be done with only a single driver. I know he is now using an 18" and still doing well but a 170 on the old mic with a single 15" is still very loud. If you think that a 170 on the old mic equates to your 156 on the new one you are mistaken.

DJNUBZ said:
Termlab meter.

Mike you don't need a lot of money to be loud. I have built SPL systems for $1500 and less that could reach the mid 150's without even tuning the enclosure for SPL.

Another system I helped out with used a pair of kicker 12" subs in a ported enclosure. It was in a honda hatch back and was run off of an orion I belive. It was hitting consistantly 156's [/B][/QUOTE]

this is my problem....your FOS - wheres your stats? Im in the "mid 150's" and look how much equipment it takes. The world record for a Street A or even B car is not even to the mid 50's yet (close) and they are TOTALLY tuned for SPL. Show me your stats, if you can do this you must be an established competitor.

DJNUBZ said:

I don't know what your problem is but I have been in many cars that have hit 150+ on the new mic and a few in the low 160 (not actualy in car). I have installed many systems during my time as an installer for tweeter. I don't BS.

The reason I was pointing this out was to show what could be done with only a single driver. I know he is now using an 18" and still doing well but a 170 on the old mic with a single 15" is still very loud. If you think that a 170 on the old mic equates to your 156 on the new one you are mistaken.

a 170 even on the old mic IS loud no doubt but hey McFly, Nate is in an EXTREME class. Again apples and oranges. A 15 tuned to 70hz with a ton of power in an extreme car complete with bullet proof glass and probably concrete blurting out a BURP for 2 seconds (or it will smoke) is a lil different.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.