The MONGREL (supersym II)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Tommorrow I will fire up the GX's with this test voltage.
OS

I love the smell of burn'n stuff in da morn'n! :D

Juz fun'n - couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• apocalypse now.jpg
    apocalypse now.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 515
Building MONGREL amp using recycled parts

I recently scapped a JVC (Victor) Surround amp and that gave me heaps of parts for DIY projects. First at all, the amp is about 20 years old and it cost me an arm & a leg when I bought it new. It gave crackening sound when I turned it on, I had it repaired but the problem resurfaced after a while.

I have gutted the amp and used the case & heatsink for a SymAsym and I have got 5 pairs of Sanken OTs & 2SB649 & 2SD669 plus heaps of mylar caps.

For the MONGREL project, I can use the following parts in the pictures:
2SA970 & 2SC2240 SSTs
Neatly wound output coil
White right-angled pins to connect the VB to the PB
Mounting bolt for OTs
10 Ohm (2W) resistors
May be 3900pF Mylar (Blue) capacitor for CCS C-B bypass, I think that is close enough to the 5600pF for bypass purpose.

I have some questions about the capacitor types:
Maroon - value 334 - mylar (polyester)
Blue - value 392 - I think it is also mylar (polyester)
Yellow with foil inside - value 392 - I don't know what this is??

Cheers, Stanley

Attachments

• DSC_2327.JPG
    DSC_2327.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC_2338.JPG
    DSC_2338.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 460
Yellow caps

Thanks keantoken,

I have seen polystyrene caps - they are transparent cylindrical case with visible foil inside. These yellow ones are a bit different and they are also used in the LP filter section after DAC inside my blu-ray player, the value ranges from 1500pF to 47nF. I have attached another picture here.

Cheers, Stanley

Attachments

• DSC_2329.JPG
    DSC_2329.JPG
    470.5 KB · Views: 453
The GX lives ... ha ha ha

I fired up the GX's , at first forgot to hook up the NFB wire. What I did.. is use a 35-0-35v supply to "test fire" the circuit. On first try ,one led would not light up , no smoke but something was wrong. 10R safety resistors were cool as was everything else. Forgot to give the poor amp NFB !!! Fixed that , have 32mv offset at OP without adjustment.

I used "fake" 33R emitter resistors to just power the drivers up and I get +651mv and -685mV on the driver emitters. This seems to be close to spec even at half rail voltage. Final pix is a voltage test of the whole GX at 35-0-35V.
OS

Attachments

• closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Itisborn2.jpg
    Itisborn2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Itisborn.jpg
    Itisborn.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 425
  • TEST VOLTAGES.jpg
    TEST VOLTAGES.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 207
Hi OS,

Good works, I have been wondering where NFB goes. I guessed that I should add a jumper to the PB120 layout from NFB to somewhere near the output coil pickup point, roughly midway between the OTs.

I may add the voltage regulating section from the PB250 to the PB120 layout.
Do I lose a few volts by using regulator for the VB?

Cheers, Stanley

Attachments

• MONGREL_PB120FB.JPG
    MONGREL_PB120FB.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 223
Hi OS,

Good works, I have been wondering where NFB goes. I guessed that I should add a jumper to the PB120 layout from NFB to somewhere near the output coil pickup point, roughly midway between the OTs.

I may add the voltage regulating section from the PB250 to the PB120 layout.
Do I lose a few volts by using regulator for the VB?

Cheers, Stanley

You lose 1.7v with 35.8-0-35.8VDC (that is exactly what the little trafo gives me) with 75v+ I expect about a 2v loss.
I am now at the full power 77-0-77VDC stage of my "burn-in" WITH 1 pair of outputs. Wish me luck. :rolleyes:
OS

NFB, optimally, should come say a mm after the output takeoff point, so distorted currents don't squeeze past the NFB takeoff into the output takeoff. That's how I understand it.

- keantoken

quite right , man.. like below , right at the inductor(Below). On the horizontal layout it is more critical since the distance the current has to travel across traces is far greater.
OS

Attachments

• NFB.jpg
    NFB.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 242
Is that what kind of trimmer they have "down under", up here the trimmers are 3 X 2.5mm inline style ...
3299.jpg

OS

Hi OS,

You have reminded me - I have changed the trimpot footprint to the universal one; so that it can fit more than one type of trimpot, including the 3 x 2.5mm in-line style.

BTW, do we have minimum bias current for maximum resistance (200 ohm in this case) ??

Attachments

• Trimpot.JPG
    Trimpot.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 466
Hi OS,
BTW, do we have minimum bias current for maximum resistance (200 ohm in this case) ??

Tried that my self , with the GX/PB250 , an open trimpot (which will be 200R) gives + and - 500mv at the driver emitters which would be fully class B (no bias)
A shorted trimpot will bias the OP's at over 250mA , so we have a healthy range as well as a safety margin. I have 1 pair OP's hooked to the "monster" (below) running 1 small 2-way (sounds good). I must "break-in" the other amp with 1 Pair as well to ensure electrical and thermal stability as well before I populate all 16 OP devices. I will never again smell the "magic smoke". I am sure a small value change will be done to the VBe before I am done. I miss the massive headroom of my "supersym" already , my little Dx clone just doesn't cut it... :(
OS

Attachments

• monster.jpg
    monster.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 470
Parts list

A pix is worth many words (below).

EDIT- blue cap at far left is the CCS C-B to ensure stability of high gain CCS (5600pF).

os

Hi, OS

I am checking the BOM against the schematics for GX1.2VB & found some discrepancies. I believed that the BOM is more up-to-date.

I found most of the parts from Farnell & they do not charge shipping for local deliveries.

I have found some challenges with some capacitors:
C2 - 330pF, 100V ceramic - I have Wima FKP2 (1000V) in my parts bin so I will use this Polypropylene type.
C3 - 220uF/35V Non-polar. Farnell does not have these at reasonable price. I normally use low-voltage polar electroyltics in this position & I have got a couple of 470uF (16V) Panasonic FC type in my parts bin.
C8 & C9 - 0.68uF ceramic 100V - I can only find Kemet Z5U 0.68uF (50V) on Farnell & my power supply is only 42V DC.
C5 - 0.01uF ceramic 100V - I can only find Kemet COG 0.01uF (200V) on Farnell & I think that this is spot on.
C7 & C9 - 47pF silver mica - again I have Wima FKP2 in my parts bin so I will use them for test & I can buy Silver mica from a local shop later.

All up, my Farnell order is less than $20 and I have to buy some 2SC3503/2SA1381 transistors & trimpots from the local shops.

Thanks & regards, Stanley

Continuing my SLOW , thorough tests on the GX1.2VB/PB250 combo. With both 77V rails and 36V rails (SNG001 , I would not use the cap multipliers.. you lose 3 v AND 2V through the hawksford cascodes) , The Vbe is ROCK solid with a range of 0 Mv (last turn on trimmer) to 84mv (300ma bias) Pix 1 is after a 10C cold morning .. stayed at 22-23mV all day even after the 32C high (hot day). NO mods need to be done to this important circuit. It is very fast , use a lighter to check it..(pix 2) Ha Ha. :D

It sounds great ... with only 1 pair OP's , about the same if not a little more detailed than the symasyms .. VERY nice high frequency reproduction.

With the modular design , once the PB250's are locked in , I will adjust any compensations easily. I don't expect very many issues with this .. as EVERY simulated aspect has panned out exactly as LT predicted , right down to the mV.

Edit , this is what I envisioned for the VAS heatsink(pix 3),made from a small piece of roof flashing , runs nice and cool.. :cool:
OS

OS

Attachments

• rock solid.jpg
    rock solid.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 215
  • redneck Vbe test.jpg
    redneck Vbe test.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 184
  • GX heatsink.jpg
    GX heatsink.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
SNG, you could try photoflash caps if you have some. I wonder if these aren't the "next step up" so to say from normal electrolytics. I'm using them in the feedback shunt cap currently and the difference in sound worth investigating I think.

- keantoken

I've just tested a slew of caps in the feedback shunt network. Photoflash won, I can speak from experience now. My cap came from a clip-on flash unit, and is more powerful than what you usually find, 330V 200uF.

So I encourage others to try and want to hear the results, if so...

Originally posted here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...phone-amp-jlh-output-stage-8.html#post2303403

- keantoken

Last edited:
Don't have any of those caps , Keen.. what I do have is two killer amplifiers :eek::eek:. Below is the final tested 78 volt rail readings off the actual circuit.

For those using 35-50v , NO adjustment is needed , save for a slight tweak in the CCS and Vbias trimmers. NO turn on thump , NO noise at all (silence) , 1mv offset with just half turn of the trimmer and best of all ..no stability issues AT ALL. :cool:

The 35v readings are just a matter of subtracting 43 volts from every 78V reading. LED Vf drops slightly at 35V rails (2.2@78 -1.9@35v).

I forgot the NFB hookup TWICE , amps did not blow but just went to the positive rail making one green LED not illuminate. A VERY forgiving circuit. BEWARE , do not touch input with finger , 60-70VAC at OP will fry your speakers ... 38DB gain is scary.. Total success , now I have to machine my heatsinks (layout,drill ,and tap) with all 4 Op pairs ...this will be one good project :):).

A few ideas/examples on how to have a safe power board are pix 2 and 3. Black insulator is a polyethylene notebook cover cut to cover the board while allowing for power device thermal contact. Outputs/drivers should be mounted like in last picture 3-4mm off of board , try to space the driver holes 102mm (4") and the output holes 115mm (4 1/2") apart for mounting on a 5" /120-125mm heatsink.

OS

Attachments

• PB250-GX1.2VB.gif
    PB250-GX1.2VB.gif
    54.9 KB · Views: 319
  • insulator.jpg
    insulator.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 302
  • device mounting.jpg
    device mounting.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Cap multiplier

(SNG001 , I would not use the cap multipliers.. you lose 3 v AND 2V through the hawksford cascodes)

OS

Hi OS,

Do you mean the voltage regulator that I added from the PB250?

I can easily bypass it by using the latest layout by installing only the R78 (22R) & C72. I have highlighted yellow in the attached picture.

- Stanley

Attachments

• MONGREL_PB120LP_bypass.JPG
    MONGREL_PB120LP_bypass.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 200
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.