The Metronome

What I say is so because I say it is so!

Butt joints are adequate for any home HiFi application, even in MDF. This is not necessarily so for pro gear that can and will be dropped form the bed of a truck onto concrete. Even if biscuits do provide additional strength, using simple furring strips would be much stronger.

Bob
I'm not sure what you mean by the "because I say it is so" comment but I think I'm offended. I'm not advocating biscuit use (although I use them just because) and I know there are stronger joints but I do disagree with the statement that they don't add strength and I provided evidence to back up that claim. I didn't mean to come off as overbearing.

Jimbro,

I'm with you on this one.

But I do dislike such statements as
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
In MDF (at least) they actually weaken the structure.

dave
without any quantative backup. Now if the cabinets (or whatever) was made from 15mm MDF then I would not advent the use of biscuit joints and agree it could cause some weaking at the point of the biscuit. Thicker material however, is a different matter. At least this is what I have found from my own building experience.

there are forums for the masters to debate construction materials and techniques - at this one, let's get back to discussing the aesthetic merits & listening impressions of the driver/enclosure designs - at which consensus will be much easier to arrive

I use a combination of layered butt joints and dadoes 'cause it's fast, my joinery skills and patience are limited, and I'm generally lazy - I've yet to have a pair of enclosures constructed that way fall apart.

As Bob notes, professional PA gear would be a different story, and as with commercial millwork, I'd bet you'd see cleated bracing and screws / nuts & bolts as part of the mix, rather than just dowels / biscuits / mortise & tenon etc. Even the most miraculous of adhesives have limitations when a wooden structure is subject to movement or torque / stress / shock- there's no substitute for the addition of deep penetrating mechanical fasteners.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
professional PA gear would be a different story, and as with commercial millwork, I'd bet you'd see cleated bracing and screws / nuts & bolts as part of the mix, rather than just dowels / biscuits / mortise & tenon etc.

Usually made with thinnish plywood (to save the backs of the roadies) and with external aluminum edges and steel corners rivited on (so they don't explode when you drop them on their corners)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In 15mm material it's more than likely the case, but in 25mm is the same so ?

The thought of the energy storage, and the low-level, time delayed ooze coming out of 25mm MDF gives me the creepies...

I did, in a past life make boxes out of 15mm HDF, often laminated inside and out with plastic laminate. I didn't know what a clamp was, butt joints, 3 powerdrills, and a lot of screws worked well (but was not pretty)

dave

One pair of 5 foot tall Mets ready for veneer and driver fitment:)

METRO5.JPG

Looking forward to hearing these and seeing them in their veneered glory.

Steve

One speaker is now veneered and had a first coat of finishing oil. A couple more coats should complete them.

As a before and after here is a photo of the veneered speaker alongside the bare ply uncovered cabinet:

METRO7.JPG

And a photo of one of the finished bases. Again this has had just a single first coating of oil. But I'm rather taken with this American Black Walnut :)

METRO6.JPG

I would have liked to have taken a photo with the drivers installed so Steve could have seen an image of the completed speaker. However, I have been badly let down on delivery by my UK supplier, who has promised delivery sometime this week.:mad:

I know Steve is chaffing at the cuff to get his hands on these speakers. BUT I have been let down by the Official UK Fostex Distributer on when he can deliver the drivers. These were ordered and payment taken from my CC account on 16 Sept. them full knowing they had not got the drivers in stock. They now are saying there has been a delay in the drivers from Japan and they cannot say when the drivers will even be delivered to them. :eek: So armed with this and on the instructions of Steve I have cancelled this order and asked for a full refund. I understand from a member on another forum that that is axactly what happened to him. So not a one off. Any UK people out there wanting Fostex drivers and wish to buy from the Official UK Distributer ask if they have the drivers in stock before placing your order, otherwise you'll be in for looonnnnngggg wait:mad: Rant over.

The great news is that this morning 9.30am UK time I ordered the drivers from Germany. Less than 2-hours later I get a email reply to say the drivers will be shipped out to the UK tomorrow, Friday. Now why can't the UK distributer be that efficient, hey:eek:

Anyhow, to appease Steve a little I have taken a photo of the finished speakers sans without the main drivers. The FT17H are my spare used pair and will be replaced by some nice shiney new ones when they arrive. Honest Steve ;)

METRO8.JPG

Hi Guys

The new FF225WK Mets are now finished and at home with me.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TBH the photo does not do justice to the quality of the craftsmanship Colin has put into these obelisks. Finished in American black walnut veneer, they are beautiful.

Regarding the driver. I can thoroughly recommend the FF225WK as a superb sounding unit in these cabs. With the help of the ubiquitous FT17H to fill in the very top
they make a marvelous sound.

The units have about two hours on them at the moment but sound great from the get go. IMO Fostex have done a great job with these new drivers.

Last edited:
Very nice, if your drivers are anything like my 206's they will keep getting better for at least 100 hrs, one word of caution, wallnut bleaches to a straw colour if it gets sunlight.
What's the amp(s)?

Thanks for the warning, They are at the opposite end of the room from the window, so sunlight will not be an issue.

The amps are a pair of prototype 2A3 SET monoblocks of my own design with a 12GN7 pentode driver.