The food thread

Correct Bill, I just had/have a problem with blanket statements that aren’t necessarily true.
No blanket statement. We were, and still are, talking about different processes.
Nothing personal Cal :)
Of course not Bob.
Bill, like I said the flavor doesn’t change much and in most cases it’s actually more flavorful.
Do you think that's due to a further aging?
Phase, no vinegar…..the acidity from the fermentation stays through the heat process.
Right, you can't cook off the sour.

You must have some Quebecois in your lineage, my dads side of the family hails from that area and they’d argue something to death even if they were wrong! :D

The flavor enhancement could be something along the line of cooking a tomato based sauce where the richer flavors come through? I have no idea really, but the flavor did not change any more with actual aging, 3 or 4 years in just like day one…….it was rather shocking actually.

Last edited:
they’d argue something to death even if they were wrong! :D
I stop arguing at the first hint I am wrong and backtrack with copious apologies if harm has been caused.
Others OTOH, like to continue down a certain road after taking a wrong turn to begin with. Perhaps they are the ones of which you speak? ;)
but the flavor did not change any more with actual aging, 3 or 4 years in just like day one…….it was rather shocking actually.
I can't say I'm shocked Bob. In your sauce, the ingredients are stable, you have used glass bottles, they were sterilized, you processed the final product, sealed them and likely stored them away from heat and UV. Takes a looooong time for that combo to go bad.

I'm sure glad we were discussing different things so we didn't have to keep going on about it. :)

Bob, PM sent.

Last edited:
Because I can't send pics via PM, this is for Bob. Yes, I'm a city boy now but I spent a lot of years here and really miss the life. The cabin is from 1958 and that wooden planter used to be our transportation with a 2.5 British Seagull. Cabins right on the lake like that aren't allowed anymore. Neither are the water wells or the 'biffies' only a hundred feet back of the cabin.

Attachments

• IMG_7196.jpg
    IMG_7196.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7188.jpg
    IMG_7188.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7198.jpg
    IMG_7198.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7176.jpg
    IMG_7176.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 78
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Cal, I use the totally free, login-not-required, website called imgur.com to host images that I wish to send over Private Messages here. It's easy:

1. Upload the image(s) to imgur.com

2. Click on the "Copy Link" button -- it's now in your computer's copy/paste buffer

3. In the PM window on diyAudio, click the postcard icon (insert image) and Paste the imgur.com link into the image dialog box within PM

4. Victory!

Here is an image which is hosted on imgur.com. Turkey worky!

akDAHvc.png

Non-Stick Potss and Pans

I've been impressed so far with the hard anodized T-fal pot and pan I bought this summer.

Teflon has improved over the years but can't be used to sear steak.

"Green" sol-gel ceramic lined pans have been good to start - but I seem to scratch them up in cleaning.

Any one ever use the rare and expensive Quasi-Crystal pans?

Any advice from experience is welcome.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've been enjoying my Tramontina nonstick skillets. They work well for me and lots of reviewers seem to recommend them too.

For steak I'm stuck on sous vide followed by 45 seconds per side sear in a ripping hot cast iron. Nothing better. Not sear-and-shove, not shove-and-sear, not charcoal (or gas) grill. IMO.

_

Last edited:
I keep meaning to post a picture of a "Pittsburgh Rare" steak. The mill workers would take their lunch steak out from their pocket and slap it on the side of a steel furnace or ladle, flip it over after a few seconds and then it was ready. Charred black on the outside and warm pink on the inside. The cooking surface device inside would have been around 2,800 F or 1150C. My tests on a red hot steel plate showed an inside temperature of 125 F.

The modern version is to heat a cast iron skillet to as hot as you can get it and then cook for half a minute for each side.

Pittsburgh rare - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I have a proper cast iron skillet that I will never trade out for those horrible non-stick thingies.
A good cast iron pot and skillet gives much more dependable non-stick than what you find being labelled as non-stick, requires minimal care and will last me a lifetime.

Goes well together with my stainless steel pans and ceramic clay cookware.
No aluminium or plastic coated stuff here, it does not last.

What do you know, “Burger Week” is really a Canadian bit.

However I do not understand why folks think hamburger is unhealthy. Properly cooked the fat melts out even if you start with a high fat meat. Around here I have no trouble getting low (10%) fat grass fed beef. Tastes good and provides quite a bit of nutrients that vegetarians have trouble getting.

Is Red Meat Bad for You, or Good? An Objective Look

Well inland one does have to be a bit careful on “fresh fish”. It usually is thawed out previously frozen. The local river fish are suggested to be limited to once a week. Most of what I get is frozen fish, these days from Alaska! Just out of season Maine lobsters of course seem to start their life in Canada!!! But I suspect few consider lobster a good daily food source.

Interestingly pork producers have literally cleaned up their act. It used to be they fed any unused bits of the slaughtered pigs to their herd. This meant once one pig got trichinosis, they all did. So trichinosis was present in a large percentage of the pork sold. After realizing killing your customers was bad for business, they stopped the practice. As a result trichinosis is rare today in the U. S.

Chicken is actually a bit harder to find “Free Range” birds. Most of what I see are Ferris wheel, beakless, processed two pound birds. They are even commonly available cooked in a “Wood Fired” rotisserie oven. It actually does take a stick or two of wood, visible in the front of the gas fired oven. Adds a small trace of smoke to the flavor.

So by someone’s standards whatever you eat will kill you, apparently though not eating is an unworkable solution! ;)

Last edited:
Tramontina also makes some of the best stainless pots/pans I’ve ever used, have some over twenty years old and wouldn’t trade for anything.

Reckon I’ll have to go pick up some hamburger today! We’ve got a butcher in our local grocery store who will grind out of ‘sell by’ date ribeye steaks for me (if I can find any) and only charge hamburger prices. Kindly ruins a feller! :p