The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill,

Your response is a sure sign you need some vitamin supplements or sneak off and enjoy a good hamburger. Where you are I would not suggest a good steak. Too hard to find, particularly for a feeb.
I can see beef cows out my bedroom window. So steak futures I have no issue with :)

As to our office coffee, mine is indeed drip coffee that comes from civet processed beans and you cannot see the bottom of the cup through it.
nothing 'average' about your office Ed!

For some strange reason as the boss I like to give my crew strong doses of caffeine first thing in the morning.
How do you calibrate between them waking up and not getting the jitters before operating the machinery?

The FULL English Breakfast is near fatal in my experience. :D

'''I'''ve eaten the same breakfast for the last 22 years''' - BBC News

I had a very greasy one at Mum's Cafe in Portsmouth as a neutral ground for a business breakfast. Huge mugs of tea too. Very transport cafe.

Everything went white and foggy for half an hour afterwards and I could hardly walk. I think it was the horrible Beans that pushed me over the edge. The straw that broke the Camel's back, as it were. :mad:

My landlord claims to have eaten the same breakfast for years. But a more conservative Muesli and Fruit.

I was quite pleased with this one. Sort of macaroni cheese but using lasagne pasta.

I boiled the pasta first then threw it all together. Had some chopped up sausages too. Used ordinary flour and milk and cream to make the cheese sauce. Breadcrumbs and grated cheese on top.

High Presentation level by my standards. :eek:

Warms up nicely in the microwave.

Attachments

• Cheese Lasagne.jpg
    Cheese Lasagne.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 140
Sunday dinner was the classic "sosakjøt" with deer ("saused meat", tougher cuts that get seared then simmers gently for a few hours to ultimate tenderness, just a bit of flour, water, salt and pepper but still packed with flavour).
The kids provided the potatoes, after a relatively discussion heavy excavation process.

Attachments

• IMG_20211024_172855_003.jpg
    IMG_20211024_172855_003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
The FULL English Breakfast is near fatal in my experience. :D

'''I'''ve eaten the same breakfast for the last 22 years''' - BBC News

When our sons were quite young, ages 8,5 and 2 we brought them to your West country -- they like trains, fast cars, castles and air museums -- the English breakfast just bowled them over -- beans on toast, oatmeal with Lyle's Golden Syrup, fried tomatoes, sausages of several description, streaky bacon and runny scrambled eggs.

Now we are planning the return trip with the grand-kids for next spring.

We had our high school graduation party at a very nice home that was owned by a family in the grocery business, the full pallet of beer was quite impressive, and a nice surprise.

The 80s were great!

Am debating whether to leave the fermented peppers go for another week, or stop now, I used the room to dry some painted parts, and had cranked the heat in the room to well over 80, so I’m hoping that hasn’t disrupted anything. Very tasty so far from what has leaked.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I request your recommendations for a spicy, peppery flavored olive oil. Of all the bottles we've tasted this year, our three favorite peppery olive oils were

Trader Joe's Sicilian Selezione EVOO from Italy

La Tourangelle EVOO from Spain

Gaea FRESH limited edition EVOO from Greece

But if you have one or two others, that you feel are truly excellent, I'd love to hear about them. Please!

Yes we've tried the it-girl of the moment, California Olive Ranch, but their Robust types just don't have the peppery finish we seek.

I request your recommendations for a spicy, peppery flavored olive oil. Of all the bottles we've tasted this year, our three favorite peppery olive oils were

Trader Joe's Sicilian Selezione EVOO from Italy

La Tourangelle EVOO from Spain

Gaea FRESH limited edition EVOO from Greece

But if you have one or two others, that you feel are truly excellent, I'd love to hear about them. Please!

Yes we've tried the it-girl of the moment, California Olive Ranch, but their Robust types just don't have the peppery finish we seek.

Make your own, that way you know there are no nasty E numbers or other chemical shite in it.

On my food prepping place in the kitchen there are always 4 items as standard - olive oil, olive oil with garlic, white wine vinegar and a clay jar with cloves of garlic.

Once you've made your first jar with small pieces of garlic, you'll knw how essential this is. This leads onto experimenting with making a chilli/garlic olive oil. This year I've been really hacked off because for some reason the previous year's chilli seeds have failed to sprout and I hav'nt got a bloody clue why not. The first year moving to our new location I was amazed to see on a stall on the Friday marche some chillis (the French are'nt into chillis normally) they were from the French Antilles. They are without a doubt my favourite and I've tasted loads in my life. They are hot but sweet the complete opposite of Thai ones. I've grown them successfully and 2 plants are more than enough for the biggest chilli fan.

If you have access to a North African food shop you can experiment by adding any number of spice powders some of which will have some heat, others just tickle the taste buds.

As an idea use your favourite chilli cut into small pieces, some cardoman seeds and one or two cloves ground up. Years ago I thought I would try some mushroom soy sauce, an absolute blinder and we have never used any other kind since then. See if you can find a good sweet chilli sauce by itself it's wonderful. It's supposed to be used with chicken, we use it with loads of different things. Just keep trying until you find just the right mix of ingredients that suits your taste.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I prefer peppery flavored virgin unmodified olives, that have been cold-pressed into virgin olive oil, with no additives or infusions or mix-ins. So far I've found three that I like, and am seeking more.

Certainly it is possible to mix Ingredient-X with olive oil, let them co-habitate together for a period of time, and get a pleasing result. In my case, X=LemonRind because lemon trees are abundant here. Great on salads.