The food thread

I meant to include the link the the Halifax Burger Week web site: Halifax Burger Week October 14-23, 2021 . There are a couple that interest me, like the Hungry Hungarian, the Don't Be Shellfish, and the Reuben Burger. The Thirsty Elvis not so much but it sounds inventive (and the restaurant, Chickenburger in Bedford, has an excellent reputation and has been in the same place longer than I have walked this earth).

I know a family friend who went and bought a pack of PBR to honor one of her favorite trails. She never drank the stuff and gave it to a friend who would drink anything. I may have to buy some just for the photo OP.

PBR Mountain Biking Trail - 18 Road, Fruita, Colorado

How does one do a lot of PBR trail without the climbing pain? Shuttle it.
IMG_0638.jpg

There was great interest in my English Breakfast in the Expanding Universe thread recently:

989640d1633984604-universe-expanding-ham-eggs-jpg

KaffiMann suggested I tried his Norwegian Breakfast with Anchovies. TBH, the idea of fish for breakfast makes me feel nauseous. But I met him half way with Lea and Perrins Anchovy sauce on the usual E and B this morning. Not bad. :)

I also tried the Scottish Breakfast yesterday. Porridge Oats. Supposed to be healthy. A Grey unappetising mess which I tried to jazz up with Strawberry Jam and Cream. Had to brush my teeth afterwards, and the pan was a nightmare to clean. Hardly worth getting out of bed for. :eek:

Attachments

• KaffiMann Breakfast Anchovies, Eggs, Fresh Bread.jpg
    KaffiMann Breakfast Anchovies, Eggs, Fresh Bread.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Porridge.jpg
    Porridge.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 466
You should notice the toyota pickup trailer on the back.
I wish I could upload a .mov attachment showing it going up a 4x4 road so my daughter could be dropped of at the top of another trail.
Earlier in the day my brother said front wheel drive was enough. Had to show him what his front wheel drive van would not do.
First gear is low enough to do most of the steep stuff just fine. Also it is easier for the kids to learn a clutch with it.

I just saw a 100 pack of beer in my local liquor store. Pabst Blue Ribbon. How do you carry that home? Take a buddy with you?

I would put in in the trunk of a car. Around here it could be considered illegal in the passenger compartment. I suspect that if they actually packed 100, even 12 ounce cans in one container few would lift it.

Most of the beer distributors around here have drive in service. Tell them what you want, pay for it and pop the trunk latch. They know their market base well, as you don't even have to get out of the car for a beer run.

You might impress them if you get the first 100 pack in the morning and stop by later that afternoon to get a second one. Bowl them over by getting a third one the next morning! Then burp and ask if they have a quantity discount! (Of course empty the trunk after each run.)

That’s only 4 cases Cal, if they’d of had those back in the day I’d of grabbed one up under each arm!

The most beer I ever bought at one time was 17 cases in preparation for the spring race at Talladega. :cool:

Most I ever bought was 3 kegs. That was back in the old days when kegs were standardized (in Canada), but some sort of Imperial measurement. Had to order it by phone and it was delivered in a truck. I remember we had an old bathtub on sawhorses with a couple hundred pounds of ice around the kegs, which just fit in the tub. One of those hand-pump taps. Good party.

English Breakfast

Wot, no kippers? No black pudding? No beans? No grilled mushrooms? When I was in Scotland a Scottish breakfast entailed barely-cooked "bacon" (not smoky like ours), almost raw eggs, toast, black pudding (shudder), etc. I was still tasting the whisky from the night before so...

MENU | spitfireespresso

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Around here I have no trouble getting low (10%) fat grass fed beef. Tastes good and provides quite a bit of nutrients that vegetarians have trouble getting.

Is Red Meat Bad for You, or Good? An Objective Look

From the linked article...
Red meat is also rich in important nutrients like creatine and carnosine. Non-meat eaters are often low in these nutrients, which may potentially affect muscle and brain function

So Ed, firstly you infer I is fick from not eating meat and now I'm a weakling too :p

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Wot, no kippers? No black pudding? No beans? No grilled mushrooms? When I was in Scotland a Scottish breakfast entailed barely-cooked "bacon" (not smoky like ours), almost raw eggs, toast, black pudding (shudder), etc. I was still tasting the whisky from the night before so...

A 'full scottish' is different from a 'full english'

'''I'''ve eaten the same breakfast for the last 22 years''' - BBC News

The Scottish version of a "full English" often includes bacon, sausage, fried egg, baked beans, fried tomato and mushrooms. Then there's black pudding, "tattie" (potato) scone and haggis. Another stalwart of the dish is Lorne sausage (also known as square sausage) - minced pork and beef pressed into a flat shape and fried.

rightpondians tend to view leftpondian bacon to be overcooked as American streaky bacon normally shatters when you try and cut it and your jaw hurts after eating it. I can see it working the other way. Never tried proper bacon in Canada to compare and now never will...

A 'full scottish' is different

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the "coffee". The proprietor of our B&B in Wick asked whether we wanted tea or coffee, and when I answered for the latter he said "Regular?". I assumed that meant he had an espresso machine so was about to say regular coffee would be fine, when my friend interrupted and said "We'll all have filter, thanks." It turns out "regular" coffee over there is instant, as though we are all still rationing after the war.

The Spitfire in Glasgow had good coffee though, and you could order a "regular" and get real coffee. I was disappointed today to see that they changed their menu, every dish used to be named for a WWII aircraft (Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster, etc).

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill,

You missed weakness in brain function, perhaps there might be a reason!

I think you just need to install the UK language pack to understand what I said...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the "coffee"..

UK coffee did take a long time to catch up with the rest of the world. I still remember the horror combination of mellow birds coffee powder and coffee mate powdered creamer. My Gran made coffee with 'Camp' chichory essence.

But nothing beats the horror of filter coffee in the average American office. You can fill a 10oz cup from the pot and still see the bottom of the cup it's so weak.

Bill,

Your response is a sure sign you need some vitamin supplements or sneak off and enjoy a good hamburger. Where you are I would not suggest a good steak. Too hard to find, particularly for a feeb.

As to our office coffee, mine is indeed drip coffee that comes from civet processed beans and you cannot see the bottom of the cup through it.

For some strange reason as the boss I like to give my crew strong doses of caffeine first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
A dozen years ago my youngest son and daughter-in-law gave me a Bunn Coffee Maker. When I was a kid working in McDonalds I recalled that the Bunn would brew a pot of coffee in about a minute. This home version has a reservoir, the restaurant version also has a reservoir but is charged from the water line.

If you're ever in Cleveland OH, "First Watch" in University Heights has the best brewed coffee in the US -- and it's just a breakfast joint.