The food thread

White Lightning 100 proof vodka. Here is last year's batch in virgin bottles. Nice to have some of the pre-seasoned ones back for this year.

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 113
For you puzzle solvers

Hmm, last year's batch seems to be in 3 or possible 4 different sizes of bottles. This photo is a little trickier, are the middle row bottles and back row bottles the same size? If so then I assume they are 250ml and the little ones are 50ml (and one is missing). If not, then I would have to care a lot more than I do to work it out. :)

Tonight's Culinary Adventure is brought to us by Lambs:

988697d1633612111-universe-expanding-seamour-sheep-cartoon-jpg

TBH, us Brits are deeply suspicious of Lamb, since the Chernobyl Nuclear disaster that drifted our way. Infesting our Lambs with Strontium 90, Cobalt 60 and other dubious ingredients. :eek:

But, hey, I fancied a change from the usual Beef and Bacon. Even at £4.80. How hard can it be? Especially with "Fruity Wine" at £3.30. I am not a wine buff. :D

I was advised to add Rosemary and Garlic by my local Friendly Tesco Supermarket Customer Operatives.

So far, so good. Smells Yummy. I am thinking Potatoes would be a match made in Heaven. But am open to suggestions.

Attachments

• Lamb with Garlic and Rosemary ingredients.jpg
    Lamb with Garlic and Rosemary ingredients.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Lamb Cooking Smells and some Plonk.jpg
    Lamb Cooking Smells and some Plonk.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 64
Phase,

Fermentation and heat don't go together.

Lactobacillus are the good guys for your gut. They call them probiotics nowadays and are the reason other spoilage deterrents aren't necessarily required. Along with the good bacteria already present on the food, I like to add salt for flavour and the initial line of defence. I add the starter to increase the speed at which the bacterial colony develops and I add sugar to feed the bacteria so the final product is actually more sour than without sugar. The bacteria is breaking down the sugars in the food plus the added sugar producing lactic acid. It's a simlar fermentation process as alcohol but the by-product isn't alcohol, just a vinegary type liquid. The lactic acid is your primary line of defence against the bugs that spoil food. Lacto-fermentation was the original 'refrigerator' Long before people pickled with vinegar and heat, they used this method. Cukes, cabbage and other vegetable along with other food stuffs can also be preserved this way.

Bill, before you switched sides, I bet you would have loved immersion style leg. Throw a few sprigs of rosemary along with a highly abused bulb of garlic (cut the top off, leave the skins, add a handful of coarse salt and another of brown sugar. Set in on medium low for 12 hours and you have the most tender, juiciest and pinkest lamb you can imagine. All without having to much of anything except sear on the grill at the end.

I used to add iodized salt at the end to stop it and do the final seasoning (as you don't want full salt at the beginning or it will slow the fermentation and you never want iodized salt in there at the beginning either), but I have since learned that when the bacteria's food is all used up, there really isn't a concern with blowing up your bottles. It just sits there and waits to be feed again. If you have to pull the product before full fermentation then make sure it is well refrigerated and that will slow it down considerably. You can also burb it every few days if it's really active. I never heat it because then you start decomposition by other organisms and it loses its shelf life.

The starter I use is just like your grandma. Mine always had sourdough starter in the fridge, I just keep some leftover pickling liquid from a previous batch. First time, use the water off the top of yogurt but make sure it's active culture yogurt not that super pasteurized stuff. If it has a probiotic rating then it should be good. Heat kills the bacteria.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Cal: Yup I would have done. I did once do lamb in our range, which was the main heat source in the house and a complete pain to cook with as if you stoked up the fire it boiled the hot water! But in cruise mode it was just right for slow cooking in a casserole. Did great turkey at xmas after about 16 hours cooking time as well.

Just also remembering the taste of the marrow from a good lamb chop...

Why would young lamb contain more radioactive ingredients than older steers or hogs?

...snip

I know a bit about Sheep. Reason they took a hammering from Chernobyl Radioactivity is it rains all the time in their upland environs in the Lake district and Welsh Mountains. Like an inch a day of rain. Hence fallout. Iodine 131 and all that.

My buddy used to live in the lake District. After a hard night's drinking he woke up and looked out of the window. All the sheep were rose pink! :confused:

He seriously considered giving up drinking. Turns out the farmer's wife next door was sending them to market that day, and thought they would look nice with a pink dip! :D