The food thread

I camped at a friends this weekend. We spent all day Saturday picking apples, de-coring them, cutting them into slices, pureeing them, crushing them and extracting the juice.

Six of us processed what we think was 150 gallons of apples to produce over 32 gallons of cider.

My take is fermenting in the basement.

I can assure you that 5 gallons of juice is a lot of work.

My friend told me that everyone he knows who has apple trees sees alternating years for good yields. Every other year is good. In between he gets a much worse yield.

Hope you moonshine it!Would make a nice Calvados.

Hipster's pies... Instagram ready but not that easy to cut and serve.

Pretty tasty though.

Attachments

• 1633379072953.jpg
    1633379072953.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 110
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Very appetizing KaffiMann. Who cares about the container as long as it does what an original should!

Lucky you to had some yields from greenhouse. Everything died this year for us ... except some Strawberries our kids made disappear each day, such a pair of gluttons! Not even tasted one this year.

Nice job Kaffi, lamb isn’t on top of my list but that looks quite tasty!

Olives are done after brining for 5 weeks in a dark cabinet, it was supposed to take 6 weeks but I figured as my olives were a bit on the small side I’d check them now and I’m glad I did they are perfect! The flavor is amazing, much more so than the best commercial olives I’ve ever had. I was worried being small they’d be all pit and no meat but the pits are relative in size to the olive…….smaller olive = smaller pit. And the meat separates in one bite.

Definately worth the effort! Interesting thing about the trees is they started growing like crazy after being picked, they’ve grown almost a foot in 5 weeks!

Attachments

• C7DAEA8C-AF37-4490-BB68-D1BEC7C8E8E9.jpg
    C7DAEA8C-AF37-4490-BB68-D1BEC7C8E8E9.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 72
Joined 2014
Paid Member
, lamb isn’t on top of my list

Odd thing is when you DO get lamb in USA it's usually exceedingly good, but rare. There was a big fanfare recently in UK that the ban on lamb imports was due to be lifted. But I can't think there is that much market for prime lamb stateside?

I guess you don't have it on the top of your list as you can't go out and shoot it!

The neighbor up in the mountains raised about 300 head a year and the problem I had (which didn’t exist beforehand!) was after helping him slaughter a few one day I couldn’t seperate their smell from the meat taste anymore……that was probably 20 yrs ago and to this day it’s the same, although if it’s cooked down like kaffi’s or heavily spiced I can usually cope.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Less than 1/2 the lamb we sell comes from Canada and most of the rest from New Zealand.

In my carnivorous days lamb was often my favourite*. But what I never understood is that we used to export 100,000 tonnes to EU and import 100,000 tonnes from NZ. Probably says something about the average consumer.

Our exports this year are considerably less for reasons I will not go into or Uncle Cal will slap me again :)

*On weak days I think a lamb chop will more likely cause a regression than a bacon sarnie, which is the usual think to break a veggie.