The food thread

Hardly anything left of the vegetarian lasagna.
Lasagna and pizza is often better without meat IMO, more flavour.

Attachments

• IMG_20211008_001042_107.jpg
    IMG_20211008_001042_107.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 111
Lasagne is one of my stodgy favourites. Cooks itself in the oven. My supermarket were knocking out sell-by date 500g Jus-Rol Pizza dough for 50p!

Never made one before, but how hard can it be to make a Pizza? Especially with Brexit and shortage of supplies from Italy. Cheese and Bacon and half a tin of tomatoes. Patriotic English Flag design too. :cool:

Bit chewy and salty TBH. But definitely filling.

Attachments

• Perfect English Pizza.jpg
    Perfect English Pizza.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 186
We did cod and roasted potatoes on the grill last night.

The cod -- corning pie dish lined with non-stick aluminum foil, placed the cod on a bed of onion slices. Topped the cod with a bit of oil, a few slivers of garlic and bruschetta. Gently fold up the foil to tent and steam. Took 12 minutes to perfection.

The potatoes -- diced and combined with onion slices and the last of the rosemary from the garden, also some oil This go in a shallow metal quiche pan right on the grill for about 20 minutes.

Lasagne is one of my stodgy favourites. Cooks itself in the oven. My supermarket were knocking out sell-by date 500g Jus-Rol Pizza dough for 50p!

Never made one before, but how hard can it be to make a Pizza? Especially with Brexit and shortage of supplies from Italy. Cheese and Bacon and half a tin of tomatoes. Patriotic English Flag design too. :cool:

Bit chewy and salty TBH. But definitely filling.

Looks like a swiss pizza by design!:D

But we don't eat that! :umbrella:

We have an albanese guy just around the corner, he is doing pizza in a way , all the pizzaiolos around 1 mile came here to eat pizza!:D

Funny, but true!
Groovie :wave2:

I am not a great flag-waver, but can accept criticism that my English Pizza looks more Danish or Swiss. And why not? Danish bacon and Swiss cheese could be considered for the Mark. 2 version. The instructions said I must not roll the dough, which made it difficult. :eek:

988792d1633650390-food-thread-perfect-english-pizza-jpg

Do I see celery there? Not many like that cooked (I do).

Now I do know a bit about Ragu. The essential base is Onions, Carrots and Celery sweated. Then Beef and Pork. Tomatoes are considered cheating by Italians. Most vegetable stocks are mainly Celery and salt.

In Search of Ragu

Can't go far wrong with this, IMO:

Ragù Alla Bolognese #1

This version of ragù was published in 1982 by the Bologna chapter of the Accademia Italiana della Cucina, the closest thing to an authority in the matters of Italian cuisine.

300 grams beef (skirt or flank steak, preferably), coarsely ground or chopped
150 g pancetta, ground or minced
50 g carrot, minced
50 g celery, minced
50 g onion, minced
300 g tomato puree or peeled chopped tomatoes
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup whole milk
A little broth
Olive oil or butter
Salt and pepper

Tastes even better on reheating the next day. Serve with pasta.

Howcomewhywhatfor he asks?

Just got back from the butcher. Beef ribs $22/kg. Beef finger meat, not yet frozen, vacuum sealed, $20/kg. Now, I'm no accountant but WTF?

Anyway, two bags (1.5 kg each) into the immersion at 165F for 6 hours then I will cut them in half, skewer and sauce them on the grill for a few minutes.

Veal ribs, frozen, $18/kg, not much meat on them.

Sacre bleu!

Do I see celery there? Not many like that cooked (I do).
Yep! Celery is great, love that stuff.
That looks disgusting K-man. Maybe back off the telephoto a bit? I bet it was delish and I agree on the meatless pizza but we part ways with a veggie lasagna. Veggie lasagna is only for those sworn off meat.
My 3¢ :)
Sorry about the closeup, I was so hungry so my mind was not really considering taking a picture until post-dinner. We'll have to disagree on the lasagna thing Cal, I've had a lot of fantastic meatless lasagna,. One of my favourites where in a small village in Italy, pumpkin and porcino mushroom lasagna. Absolutely fantastic.

We did cod and roasted potatoes on the grill last night.

We had homemade "fish cakes" (that's what we call it) from haddock today, served in thick gravy, shredded fresh carrots and the girls picked potatoes in the garden. Out of respect for Cal there's no pictures, tastes far better than it looks.

Edit:
Nice pizza Steve, good to see you testing your skills in practical chemistry. What kind of cheese was it?

Last edited:
Odd thing is when you DO get lamb in USA it's usually exceedingly good, but rare. There was a big fanfare recently in UK that the ban on lamb imports was due to be lifted. But I can't think there is that much market for prime lamb stateside?

I cannot speak to the American experience, but lamb is fairly popular in Canada, though often pricey. We produce a fair bit of it here in Nova Scotia, but the frozen stuff from New Zealand is cheaper. The coyotes take their share from farms here, though many sheep farmers keep a llama or even a donkey to keep the coyotes away. Apparently a llama will kick a coyote to death before it gets near a sheep, and just the smell of donkeys keeps the coyotes away.

There is a Syrian market near me here in Halifax that has a halal butcher, and they only use local lamb and the prices are pretty good, though the butchering is not the best so I have to do some tidying up when I buy a leg. I like to get a whole leg, cut out the "topside" to make a nice small roast, and basically cut up the rest for curries and stews.

It was my wife's birthday earlier this week, so I made her a Mangalore-style chicken curry. You have to toast about 1/2 cup grated coconut in a dry pan until it is fragrant and brown. Toast a big handful of dry red chilis, then some black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, and a bit of cumin. Then fry a couple of sliced onions and a few garlic cloves in some ghee until they are light brown, let everything cool, then grind it all up in a blender with water as needed to make a thick paste. (I like to remove the seeds and membrane from the chilis first.) I did that part the night before and put it in a jar in the fridge. The next day heat some oil in a pan and add some finely chopped onions and cook until they are soft and golden, add about a kg of cut up chicken and cook for a few minutes. Add a sprig of curry leaves, salt, the coconut masala paste, a tablespoon of tamarind paste, and a little water, and simmer until the meat is cooked and the gravy thickens. Heavenly. Served with some festive rice, naan, and parathas. Oh and SWMBO made some cucumber raita. (And a decent Zinfandel to wash it down.)

The cast offs from the stages 1, 2 & 3 of milling.
The juice is ready
The juice is bottled

Only 5.5 litres this year as I didn't have to add water to blender the mash so it's a little hotter and rather tangy. You'd swear there's vinegar in there.

For you puzzle solvers, if that's 5.5 litres, what are the sizes of the bottles?

Attachments

• DSCN7739.jpg
    DSCN7739.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN7741.jpg
    DSCN7741.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN7743.jpg
    DSCN7743.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 40