The food thread

I tried growing NuMex Habanero peppers this year. They were developed at the University of New Mexico, and were supposed to be a Hab with a heat rating of only 100 scoville.

I took the first three and removed the seeds to keep to propagate next year, then diced them and added 4 them to 1pt of olive oil. I microwaved it till they were cooking and let it cool.

This morning I added 6tsp to a batch of grits. Nice hab flavor with just a hint of heat.

I hope to get enough to make a batch of sauce out of them.

The peppers are starting to ripen!

IMG_20170921_133125.jpg

This is the garlic infused one with a hint of sugar and couple oz. of vinegar added to 24 oz of sauce, so basically it's a watery, green version of a Sriracha.

A little ******* hotter though. This is similar to Tabasco.

Interesting point. Next time I will add all the garlic at the end as the 1 tbsp. added seemed to have inhibited the fermentation somewhat. It reached the same stage as the large batch about 5 days later.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 105
Lately I have been experimenting with fermenting soy milk (gmo free!) using any of the commercial yoghurts (Bulgarian, Greek, Turkish,.. ) or sour milk (containing GG or AB bacteria culture) as a starter with great result.

Very little of the "starter" is needed, say one teaspoon for 1 liter soy milk, mix well and then let it ferment for 24 hours in room temperature, great pudding like texture and delicious!

ps. I noticed all the non-gmo veggie milk brands in the shop always contains a whole host of processed rubbish (the gmo free variant I found contained only soy, sea salt, cain sugar and water), such as Gelan-gum which makes ones stomach bloat, a lot, reading on internet it seems many have experienced the same where ever Gelan gum goes in, also one can't be sure those bacterias used to grow the Gelan gum are really healthy and safe in the long run if they have potential to out-compete some of the other good gut bacterias, it's no wonder people are suffering more and more from some sort of IBS and autoimmune diseases.

I no longer need the recipe for "woodchuck" as the big red-tailed hawk seems to have done his thing, same for the bunnies (i.e. no hassenpfeffer).

Made the golden butter cake from Rose Levy Berenbaum's "Cake Bible" with my 2 grand-daughters on Sunday. Somehow 4x the required amount of baking powder was deployed so that the texture is somewhat akin to a rubbery cinder-block. Tastes good, however, with a chocolate ganache icing which covers a multitude of sins.

So I was visiting my father this week at his house and in the flower bed that was not tended growing amongst the weeds were some tomatoes. I have planted varieties of tomatoes there in the past but not for last couple years. Aside from some grape tomatoes (of which I never planted) there were some cute tiny tomatoes. I haven't seen a tomato this small but they are good:)

I have many porch peppers, as what I call them :p. Jalapeño, 2 plants, only two years old though. One plant is spicy but average for jalapeño. The other is freakin HOT! for jalapeño. :flame: The peppers look identical though. Tiny Tei peppers, Birdseye pepps , some larger, some smaller. Plenty of Bhute Jolakia peppers. Two plants, second year. You know a Ghost chili plant is perennial. ...:cool: However I have kept members of capsicum annuum alive for 3 to 4 years.;) get lots of jalapeños from 3rd year plant! Great for being stuffed:D

BTW, where I live we get 4 seasons. Gotta bring em in during winter. ....soon.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20170926_211834.jpg
    20170926_211834.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170926_212855.jpg
    20170926_212855.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 20170926_214423.jpg
    20170926_214423.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I no longer need the recipe for "woodchuck" as the big red-tailed hawk seems to have done his thing, same for the bunnies (i.e. no hassenpfeffer).

Made the golden butter cake from Rose Levy Berenbaum's "Cake Bible" with my 2 grand-daughters on Sunday. Somehow 4x the required amount of baking powder was deployed so that the texture is somewhat akin to a rubbery cinder-block. Tastes good, however, with a chocolate ganache icing which covers a multitude of sins.

I can't see "Hassenpfeffer" without thinking of Bugs Bunny.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...CCUwAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA