The food thread

My great aunt made braised rabbit last night. Tomato and onion based liquid. First time I've had rabbit and quite well enjoyed it. Then again Sicilian great aunts are known for their cooking. :)

But it's so much the quality of the ingredients, I don't know what they do down here but it all tastes so good. We're a little early for sheep's milk ricotta and olive oil harvest/pressing, but what we've had has been sensational. And then there's the bread and cheeses...

I'll stop there. It's been a gastronomic delight. One more day to eat it up.

My great aunt made braised rabbit last night. Tomato and onion based liquid. First time I've had rabbit and quite well enjoyed it. Then again Sicilian great aunts are known for their cooking. :)

But it's so much the quality of the ingredients, I don't know what they do down here but it all tastes so good. We're a little early for sheep's milk ricotta and olive oil harvest/pressing, but what we've had has been sensational. And then there's the bread and cheeses...

I'll stop there. It's been a gastronomic delight. One more day to eat it up.

Bravo!

There really aren't that many places here in the NYC area which make rabbit, leastways as far as I know. There is one which occasionally has it as a special menu item -- Gabriel's near Lincoln Center -- ragout of rabbit with pappardelle.

Some of the best meals I have ever had have been in Sicily, Siracusa on market day, Palermo, Taormina, Enna etc., etc. I love the island despite my mixed Celt/Slav heritage!

Hot sauce finished aging so I added a little garlic, some stevia extract (just a little) and some iodized salt to halt any further action. I then put it in the blender and all 3 stages of the food mill then bottled. Total was just under 3 litres.

It's getting good reviews. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 88
Bravo!

There really aren't that many places here in the NYC area which make rabbit, leastways as far as I know. There is one which occasionally has it as a special menu item -- Gabriel's near Lincoln Center -- ragout of rabbit with pappardelle.

Some of the best meals I have ever had have been in Sicily, Siracusa on market day, Palermo, Taormina, Enna etc., etc. I love the island despite my mixed Celt/Slav heritage!

We heard plenty of French and British English in addition to a couple tourbusses of Americans (at least in Caltagirone and the nearby Roman ruins. So I think you're safe with your heritage. :)

Definitely would try rabbit again. Not sure where or how I'd find it in Portland (especially without causing a protest!) but definitely needs slow cooking to break down the connective tissue.

I love rabbit when done properly. Sounds like yours was top notch Daniel. Give Aunty a big ol' Canadian bear hug from Cal.

I made sure to give her several on this very contingency. :)

Bunnies are regularly available in the grocery store around here. There likely are folks raising rabbits near you, who would sell you some, or who sell at farmers markets.

We also have a Korean grocery store real close to my place; I honestly would not be surprised to find it there. Plenty of other non-standard beasts and cuts available.

Edit: finished London off tonight with fish and chips. Quite good at the place recommended to me. Friday's tapas were delicious and a fun location with great wait staff, but, um, food poisoning! Fortunately the kind that left me eating normal for breakfast on Saturday. No harm in the end. Saturday with a newly made mate was Chinatown eats where we were surrounded by folks of Chinese descent. Always a good sign. Decent, solid eats with strange service behavior at a very reasonable price. Especially by London standards.

Fly back to the States tomorrow, but an altogether great trip, for a host of reasons

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Bunnies are regularly available in the grocery store around here. There likely are folks raising rabbits near you, who would sell you some, or who sell at farmers markets.

I WOULD like to try rabbitt, mainly because I'm a prepper/survivalist and want to see what I'm getting into.

But they're JUST SO DARN FLUFFY that I would befriend all of them and give them a good home instead.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS ARE EATING FLOOFS!!! :eek:

I guess thats why you guys drink so much? To wash away the guilt....

Attachments

• diyaudio-1.jpg
    diyaudio-1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 88
  • diyaudio-2.jpg
    diyaudio-2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 77
  • diyaudio-3.jpg
    diyaudio-3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 74
  • diyaudio-4.jpg
    diyaudio-4.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 73
  • diyaudio-5.jpg
    diyaudio-5.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 29
  • diyaudio-6.jpg
    diyaudio-6.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 31
  • diyaudio-7.jpg
    diyaudio-7.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Venus you have clearly never seen a really vicious rabbit!

Oh my little girl Bun Bun can work up a temper. Mighty fine temper. But a few pats around her head and ears really calms her down.

The trick to get them calm is to pat them a little bit then back off, wait for their emotions to calm down, then go back in for another pat. Then repeat that every time that you make contact with him/her and they won't ever be grumpy.

She likes to kick your fingers away from her at night time but during the day she is a lot calmer, she is on guard at night. And in the morning (AM) she is happy as hell jumping around etc. If you get up in the morning and go to approach her she does circles.

In the late afternoon she is most grumpy, most tired.

I've had her get into my flour, rice, etc. Now all of that is off the floor.

First time I brang her home and let her out of the cage to roam the whole house she was hopping back and forth all over the house and hiding underneath beds then jumping out to scare people as they walked past, she likes to attack peoples legs then back off. She also used to do jumps up in the air and flex her whole body as she was in the air. Like she was flying for the first time.

They call them "Binkies" YouTube

Their poop is really easy to clean up too provided it isn't diarrhea. It dries and doesn't smell. Their pee on the other hand...

But now she has full roam of the entire house and she poops only in her cage where the trap can get it, she is just as trained as a dog. (Cats cannot be trained..)

Whenever I take her out of the cage she sits on my chest as I lie in bed and faces away from me because she is looking around the room seeing if there are any threats, unfortunatley this also means that I get to see her butt not her face. I suspect this is because she has spent most if not all of her young life in a cage and not handled much at all.

Last edited:
With a bit of cool fall weather in the air today I made an old friend I haven't visited in a while: Mughal style lamb biryani. It took all afternoon. First I had to make a stock with some meaty lamb bones plus spices and the usual suspects. While that simmered I made some curry powder then a lamb curry with lots of onions and some fresh tomatoes. While that] simmered I strained and degreased the stock, then made a pilau by frying onions, garlic, ginger, and saffron in ghee, adding rice, then the stock plus bits of meat salvaged from the stock bones, plus some cardamom, garam masala and rosewater. When both the curry and the rice were done i coated the inside of a large casserole dish with melted ghee, then layered rice, curry, rice, curry, rice, covered, and baked in a slow oven for half an hour. The result is fragrant and delicious, and will be several lunches this week.

Honestly it's too many steps for pictures, though simpler than that rabbit deboning process!

The remains of the day, pecan pie:

I can give you my address so you can ship it to me .... NOW!!!!!!!!!!:yummy:

Wild animals can be hard to cook. Got a filet of moose a few years ago and I think we managed to get right, but it's tough to get rid of the "taste of wilderness" when cooking deer or other meat.
Swedish cookbooks often recommend juniper to spice up a "wild stew" and I've seen the use of a twig of spruce or juniper to "smooth out" the wild taste.

Swedish cookbooks often recommend juniper to spice up a "wild stew" and I've seen the use of a twig of spruce or juniper to "smooth out" the wild taste.

Also good to learn to enjoy it. Such as lièvre (hare) vs rabbit very different tastes. I find the spicy acidic marinades toughen as well as change the flavor and prefer long aging (too much for most people).