The food thread

Gardening wise this has been a very dis-heartening year -- in NJ the weather has been quite cool at night and the tomatoes never really developed, pumpkin vines yielded about 10% of the expected crop, and the woodchuck demolished the corn crop as well as the delphinium and dahlias in the ornamental garden.

This being said, in the hyper-protected area of the garden lettuce has done quite nicely.

The bunny crop is doing very, very good but you can't fire a .22 at them without ...

Anyone have a recipe for woodchuck?

I can't shoot the woodchucks with a .22rf because I'm inside the city limits. I do trap them and dispatch them with a .22 air rifle, which is legal in the city limits. It is illegal to relocate them as it is in violation of Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency rules without a specific permit.

"Can I relocate an animal I have trapped?

No. Because of illness and disease, it is illegal to transport any live wildlife (TCA 70-4-401) and release said wildlife (TCA 70-4-412) without a permit."

My sole experience with cooking one was to smoke it. They don't have enough fat to smoke well. Stringy.

I would recommend parboiling, then dredging in flour and spices, and fry them.

Slow roasted pork side ribs.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 83
Cal, my meal probably would do you in.

I sliced up a pear. Used it to cover a thin steak while grilling it medium rare along with two small "Italian" tomatoes locally grown. Served the meal over a bed of cooked oatmeal.

Went great with very strong hot black tea. Start till eating time around 10 minutes.

Until you try grilling a steak with a pear you won't believe how well they go with each other.

Ed, I love to grill fruits and veggies. I'd like to hear how you 'cover' the meat while grilling.

You just slice it up and place it on top of the meat.

The trick is you also slice up the core and you put that on top while grilling the first side. When you flip the meat you let the core slices fall off and burn up while the good fruit goes on. Then you can flip just the fruit and finally take the fruit covered meat off the grille and let it rest on a heated plate for three minutes. The idea is the fruit imparts a hint of flavor to the meat. Warm sweet fruit is a nice desert like side. If you salt the meat do it after cooking without the fruit.

Now papaya and pineapple are great tenderizers.

Actually some of what you show looks quite tasty except for some pig parts. I expect to eat those parts the way everybody else does, ground up in sausage.

The other trick is much food is good served on a bed of rice. Oatmeal works well and you can use the finer grind stuff sold as "instant" which cooks up very quickly. I find the "instant" rice not to be as good as the real rice. Where the finer ground oatmeal also absorbs the food flavor much faster.

Then there are other benefits to oatmeal... More important as you get older!

Actually some of what you show looks quite tasty except for some pig parts.

They look fine to me. We do a lot of lentils or quinoa lately, tried buckwheat the other night which might came out a little like oatmeal. I prefer things where the grains tend to stay separate. I'm still a slow food oatmeal/rice guy, steel cut Scottish oats and brown rice that take forever to cook.

I'm still in burn-out after nearly 6 years of steel-cut oats for breakfast every day. I was at a point where it was very economical to buy the 50 lb bags of the stuff.

In Northeast Ohio you can buy the 50# bag of oatmeal from the Amish! (In fact some of the rural roads are cut such that the buggies can go clockwise for the Sunday outings while allowing ordinary vehicle traffic to pass.)

When my son and daughter in law moved to California, they left us with their collection of grains. What does one do with buckwheat groats?

Past using a bit of buckwheat meal in pancakes, I'm out of my depth. I think it can be made into a pretty effective flour as long as you use it in egg-heavy dishes. Soba noodles are made with buckwheat, I think.

I imagine you can experiment with adding them to rice dishes (just a little) and soups, too.