The food thread

We've been to Portland, but that was a few years ago. Missed the Swedish restaurant, but we went to Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant in Door County and had, I must admit, the BEST pickled herring ever!

My grandmother, when she made the original pyttipanna, alays chopped all ingredients in smallest pieces and fried them in REAL butter (and lots of it). Ultra-YUMMI!

This is what the original looks like:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've been more drinking the lighter side of the * pale ale, as the 8+% beers were just too much for me. Fortunately more and more West Coast IPA's are becoming available in the 6's and low 7's, which is much more tenable. But, yeah, IPA's, pale ales, and Belgians are my wheelhouse.

A few weeks ago the wife and I were in Montreal for a couple of nights. We went out to dinner, there is a Portuguese place in the old city that SWMBO had tried before and wanted to take me to, but as we walked down St. Laurent, the grotty part between Sherbrooke and de Maisonneuve, we passed a place I had heard of called Bouillon Bilk. It is supposed to be one of the top 25 restaurants in Canada, and it looked very nice from the street so we walked in and they seated us right away with no reservation, which was nice. We got a decent bottle of wine (first I had a very good Manhattan made with Canadian whisky, an Italian cherry, and some sort of artisanal vermouth), and the food was fantastic. Highlights were cannelloni stuffed with rabbit and fresh corn, and walleye with peach and... stuff, I can't remember. Very creative and everything beautifully executed. The eggplant main can't be missed, and one of the desserts was a coconut and ginger dacquoise with cilantro (!) and a raspberry sorbet. It was a real treat, best meal I've had in a very long time. No pictures for obvious reasons. :)

A few weeks ago the wife and I were in Montreal for a couple of nights. We went out to dinner, there is a Portuguese place in the old city that SWMBO had tried before and wanted to take me to, but as we walked down St. Laurent, the grotty part between Sherbrooke and de Maisonneuve, we passed a place I had heard of called Bouillon Bilk. It is supposed to be one of the top 25 restaurants in Canada, and it looked very nice from the street so we walked in and they seated us right away with no reservation, which was nice. We got a decent bottle of wine (first I had a very good Manhattan made with Canadian whisky, an Italian cherry, and some sort of artisanal vermouth), and the food was fantastic. Highlights were cannelloni stuffed with rabbit and fresh corn, and walleye with peach and... stuff, I can't remember. Very creative and everything beautifully executed. The eggplant main can't be missed, and one of the desserts was a coconut and ginger dacquoise with cilantro (!) and a raspberry sorbet. It was a real treat, best meal I've had in a very long time. No pictures for obvious reasons. :)

You are the Craig Claiborne (1)of Canada --- a great recommendation.

(1) Craig Claiborne, 79, Times Food Editor And Critic, Is Dead - The New York Times

Couldn't wait for the peppers to turn red so I got 5 lbs. of green chilies and are fermenting them. The 32oz. jar on the left is a green Sriracha from what wouldn't fit in the big jar. 2 or 3 weeks from now I'll run it through the mill, add final seasoning and bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 67
Couldn't wait for the peppers to turn red so I got 5 lbs. of green chilies and are fermenting them. The 32oz. jar on the left is a green Sriracha from what wouldn't fit in the big jar. 2 or 3 weeks from now I'll run it through the mill, add final seasoning and bottle.

Wow! I've got a few yet to pick, not sure whether I should let them turn red. They are New Mexicos i grew from seeds I got from dried peppers I was cooking with.

IMG_20170825_180406.jpg

Gardening wise this has been a very dis-heartening year -- in NJ the weather has been quite cool at night and the tomatoes never really developed, pumpkin vines yielded about 10% of the expected crop, and the woodchuck demolished the corn crop as well as the delphinium and dahlias in the ornamental garden.

This being said, in the hyper-protected area of the garden lettuce has done quite nicely.

The bunny crop is doing very, very good but you can't fire a .22 at them without ...

Anyone have a recipe for woodchuck?

Vegeta (condiment) - Wikipedia
My GF was director of a child care centre and employed a new cook.
Staff and kids alike loved the new food until someone took a close look at the label of the Vegeta that the new cook used in everything.
MSG, peanuts and a bunch of stuff are strictly verboten in Aus child care centres....ooops.

Dan.

Quantum flavour enhancer?

Vegeta (condiment) - Wikipedia
My GF was director of a child care centre and employed a new cook.
Staff and kids alike loved the new food until someone took a close look at the label of the Vegeta that the new cook used in everything.
MSG, peanuts and a bunch of stuff are strictly verboten in Aus child care centres....ooops.

Dan.

It says there is a no MSG added version. As I said there is a reason that this is always worded this way, avoiding glutamates is essentially impossible. Vegemite is way up on the list.

It says there is a no MSG added version. As I said there is a reason that this is always worded this way, avoiding glutamates is essentially impossible. Vegemite is way up on the list.
Vegemite is full of MSG -
I think my system is ok with MSG, however there is one restaurant that I went to twice that served lamb shanks cooked for 24 hours or something, and both times I woke up parched the next morning and my hands were red and sensitive.
The food tasted suspiciously good but I never went back.

Dan.