The food thread

The sweetness is really over the top these days, especially for the "bi-colour" varieties like Peaches and Cream. We finally found a farm-gate stand in Sheffield Mills with really good yellow corn that isn't silly sweet and tastes like corn.

PS: There is no GMO corn grown in Nova Scotia (yet).

Same here, I think hybrid is sufficient. I still fight with my wife over the Wisconsin corn, she thinks it's only good for feed but it tastes like corn to me.

Not unless

A place I worked at already had a vacuumer with gas injection option (N2/CO2 MAP). Half automatic, all one had to do was to put a filled bag in and close the lid. (a 20''x20'' max bag size version including MAP currently does ~$4k here, 300lb of SS)

Reefers have had modified air cargo holds for ages (controlled extraction plus N2 injection)

@regiregi

I did it this way( the recipe is from Tanja Grandits, she is a well known starcook here)

Yellow melon apx 700 gr.
200 gr tomtato, fresh, peeled, if possible yellow ones
1 shallot
1 tbs Honey
1 green chilli
2 tbs lemonjuice fresh
salt, black pepper

First you cut some balls out of the melon, put them aside.
Then add melon and other stuff in a bowl and use a hand blender.
Cool it down.

Basil oil is best done a day before or so.
Blanch a nice handful of basil, take 200ml oliveoil and blend it with the basil.
Let it be for 24 hours and the sieve it.

Serve the melon balls into bowl, add gazpacho, add some nice flowers and basil oil and some fresh basil.

I used also a little bit vinegar sherry jerez and szechuan pepper, salt is this pinky himalaya stuff.

Ignore the potatosalad on the pic, altough it was very tasty yesterday.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    830.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
eye opener.

Eye of the beholder.
In the Netherlands, there's e.g. baka bana (aargh,with satay sauce) from Surinam, pisang goreng from Indonesia, banana hasá from the Antilles.

Plantains in all varieties could be bought at Surinam/Indonesian tokos (shops) when I was a kid, nowadays I can pick from several Chinese superstores at less than half an hour drive.
The Asian part of my family had a travelling toko at their doorstep once a week, even I ordered the absolute best rice in 110lb gunny sacks from them.

I flambeed some tiny plantains once

When my mother lived in Montserrat, bananas flambeed with rum was a very popular desert. The rum was usually Mt. Gay from Barbados, not overproof. I used to enjoy a nice rum from Antigua called Cavalier, I have never seen it outside the Leeward Islands. Of course the places Mom lived are gone now, buried under pyroclastic flow and ash.

When my mother lived in Montserrat, bananas flambeed with rum was a very popular desert. The rum was usually Mt. Gay from Barbados, not overproof. I used to enjoy a nice rum from Antigua called Cavalier, I have never seen it outside the Leeward Islands. Of course the places Mom lived are gone now, buried under pyroclastic flow and ash.

I've been partial to ones from the formerly French colonies. I would actually start with raw sugar and butter to get some homemade butterscotch in the pan then add the bananas or plantains with the rum.

Last edited: