The food thread

AARGH, couldn't you have told me ages earlier that's the way to chuck corn !

Attachments

• homer_aargh.gif
    homer_aargh.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
And it is heresy. But delicious. One of the nice things about the New World is the ability to integrate disparate elements of superb but different cuisines from around the world, without being constricted by tradition.
What baffles me is that being gazpacho a salad based taste, you add in melon or watermelon that is pretty sweet. Do you have any good recipe for that?

What baffles me is that being gazpacho a salad based taste, you add in melon or watermelon that is pretty sweet. Do you have any good recipe for that?

A good watermelon has more than a little whiff of cucumber. If it's a little too sweet, you can adjust that with some wine vinegar. I love the sweetness from the tomatoes that we can get at this time of year.

Sorry, no recipe, I just do it by eye and mouth. :D

Interesting in a subjective/objective sense, professor Didden might have loved it.
It's amazing how much the nasal cavity/olifactory nerve (more like a bundle of sensors) influence taste/flavor.
Brain conditioning also plays a role, the more something looks the part, the more intense the scent becomes.
(aka peanut sauce currently is a gag guarantee. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kmgUtppQP0 )

Other than that, waking up on Elm Street.
An allergologist friend lives in the next village, has experience with parosmia, told an hour ago it's caused in most cases by a virus and/or polyps.
According to her, a xylometazoline spray to reduce mucous membrane swelling, combined with a steroid spray, could switch off the cesspit effect near instantly.
(if not, Mr Walton will have his divine intervention/retribution, and I'll be shopping for an inflatable jesus at amazon, only $14.78)

Ajo blanco with skinned white grapes is always a winner.

Last edited:
My gazpacho is basically enough tomatoes run through the blender to end up with a pint of puree which I strain through a wire mesh to get the seeds and skin out.

With the blender on high I add:
2 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp Olive Oil
dash of black pepper
sprinkle of salt

Let this run on high for 30 seconds to a minute.

Pour in a mason jar and chill.

I serve it with diced jalapeño peppers, cherry tomatoes, onion, and croutons.

I've been getting some good lettuce lately that seems
to last way longer than previously. I attribute that to
some form of genetic manipulation.
Not just nitrogen in the bag?
Butter and cajun seasoning. It's pretty good, if you haven't tried it.
Tried it many ways over the years including homemade butter, homemade seasoned salt and homemade seasoned pepper. Thanks to the manipulations, I don't need, or even miss, having anything on it. I prefer it naked nowadays.
My gazpacho
Sounds like nice uncomplicated recipe. Perhaps it's time I made it again. Been a long time.

The magic of hybrids and GMO's. We also eat it at the end instead of the starter as it's so darn sweet now, it's like eating dessert.

The sweetness is really over the top these days, especially for the "bi-colour" varieties like Peaches and Cream. We finally found a farm-gate stand in Sheffield Mills with really good yellow corn that isn't silly sweet and tastes like corn.

PS: There is no GMO corn grown in Nova Scotia (yet).

Last edited: