The food thread

Well, the heat is gone, so it was time to make my special spaghetti sauce with several veggies, herbs and spices and reduced red wine.
It was worth the effort :D

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 127
Well, the heat is gone, so it was time to make my special spaghetti sauce

As my mother is Polish I always thought spaghetti sauce came in a jar from the supermarket...then i married an Italian. Italians in the NY/NJ area usually have 2 kitchens, the second in the basement

Don't throw bricks at me, but the Rao Marinara Sauce (I am sure you CAN NOT get it in CH) is actually as good as home-made.

Speaking of basil, instead of Tom's arterial plaque builders.
Green pesto and avocado are a match in heaven, imo.

One of my favorites on the lunch break list :

Place thick slices of smoked pancetta (affumicata) in the oven at moderate heat till they're nicely colored.
Take out, and drain excess fat on sheets of kitchen paper.
Open up a large crispy bun (italian or any lookalike, square mini focaccia, etc)
Put a generous layer of green pesto on both halves.
On goes the pancetta, followed by sliced avocado.
Top that with very thin slices of tomato (preferably a mandoline job).
Add some ground pepper, and some of your favorite green leaves, close the hatch.

Of things which load some calories in your stomach at noon, one of the healthiest.

The editor in chief (Russian ?) skipped a singular/plural form error, 'buttock of the world' is only half an AH.

Fromage frais (entier, 40%) from France is more my thing, preferably with fig marmelade.
Plus lassi and orgeade (milk and roasted almond drink, Surinam thing)
(I'm not that tall, airplane seat width is a much larger issue. And shirt sizes, 18''+ neck, difficult to shop for anything other than body bag)

One thing I've developed a fondness for since moving to the UK is Cream Tea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_tea) and therefor clotted cream (55% fat).
Although as a european immigrant I take Cream Tea with coffee. ;-)

Other than that I use double cream (48%) whenever a recipe calls for cream/whipped cream.
Embrace the fat I say, that's where the flavour is.

As for airplane seats width is not an issue but leg room is definitely my problem at 6ft 3in. However I too do have problems shopping for shirts and trousers. If a shirt fits around the neck the sleeves are usually way too short and trousers have become a problem since they made 34 inches the default length instead of 36. Even 36 was borderline.

Speaking of size, Mr Soibelman asked at the fight club what chem chefs eat during R&R.

Here's a picture of a molly lab chef (**).
He opened a wok for a buck shop in Rotterdam yesterday, noodle bar, his 3d place.
As a side-note, he mentioned that his favorite is street food.

(he's half Aruba roots, so genetics/conditioning may be additional factors)

Attachments

• Franchi.JPG
    Franchi.JPG
    469.7 KB · Views: 77
Speaking of pesto --owing to the shortage of pine nuts from Europe, pesto can now very conveniently be made with pistachios. The pine nuts imported from China which you see stateside have a lower "smoking point" and become rancid more quickly than those from Italy.

Not the same, but I use toasted walnuts and flax seeds (yes). Adds a nice flavor nonetheless.

(Basil) Pesto enthusiast.

Speaking of default, totally forgot to add an economy seat for SY.

(Ce soir, rendang. Stewed/fried beef, with a sl of dry/wet coconut and chilies. Best served completely dried-out. And what is a.no.1 for sucking moisture out : a commercial combi steamer in the arid setting)

Attachments

• Legroom.JPG
    Legroom.JPG
    406.3 KB · Views: 71