The Drek builder's thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Magura said:

I suspect that the meter is not up to the task. I have found, that the higher DCR a coil has, the further the reading has been off. I never had this sort of issues, with the big low DCR inductors.

Magura :)

It makes at least some sense. In series the mH is largest. I will just use the 2 in the middle as CT and see how it turns out.

:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

;)

Manu said:
Seems ya have to visit me in BETSCH Sasha ... sorry ...
:D

nope , at least not for that ;

MetalDanske will send me ones - with ZM written on them :rofl:

and I have slight idea what send to him , as express of my gratitude

edit:

just wait ...... one day Papa will adopt me ....... then ya all will be jealous about my Ark stash ........

:devilr:

Does it matter if the two in the middle are connected or if it is the two outermost? I was ofcourse looking to find the middle point, which is the Rot und Braun on the pic.

Attachments

• inductor.jpg
    inductor.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 110
Shoot. :D

I can't get an accurate reading on any small ohms resistor (large value resistors don't register a voltage drop). The hundredths meter keeps fluctuating just like it does when measuring the choke's resistance.

I didn't realize that there was a thing called DC resistance. Is this similar to the measurement in a standard resistor. I know that AC causes the impedance to fluctuate. I don't mean to look dumb....

carpenter said:
Shoot. :D

I can't get an accurate reading on any small ohms resistor (large value resistors don't register a voltage drop). The hundredths meter keeps fluctuating just like it does when measuring the choke's resistance.

I didn't realize that there was a thing called DC resistance. Is this similar to the measurement in a standard resistor. I know that AC causes the impedance to fluctuate. I don't mean to look dumb....

DC resistance is what you measure with a usual DMM. You should be able to get a useful reading with a 9V battery. What resistor value did you use? Lowering the value will increase the current.

Hi Steenoe, and thanks for that clarification.

I started with a 1K, but the voltage drop was too small for the meter to detect. I tried a 100 ohm, same results. When I go to a smaller value the meter begins to waver: x.1, x.2, x.3 and back down the scale only to repeat.

When that happens, I'm no better off than when taking a reading directly from the choke.

I suppose it's no different than carpentry. A carpenter is only as good as his tools--although you can get a lot done with little.

again, thanks. :)

Hey Morten, I'm off topic, but this is about your speciality, so it's OK...

Tell me more about your big chokes--you know, the pretty ones. How much do they cost to make? Resistance, inductance? Please brag, cause from what I remember, you deserve too.

They're bifilar wound, right?

I'm learning that with my choke loaded, differential follower arrangement, a neg power supply can push current through any resistance. Just have to keep that resistance low in order to keep the neg power low and the choke cool.

And best of all: current sounds good through a mosfet--lots of current! :D

All these years, I have not been running enough current, not nearly enough!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.