The Drek builder's thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I expect to need to get rid of a lot of heat, the main heatsink is moved away from the board.

Magura :)

Attachments

• pict0519.jpg
    pict0519.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 127
Magura said:

That's correct.

As I recall, the Drek draws about 500mA

Sure it's gonna be cooking :D

The shunty is fine then, having to sink 150mA:eek: I know you got the heatsinks for that:)
500mA through a preamp?? Ya' nutz:hot: I better build it into a biggish case, with room for some serious hardware then.

:)

Edit Good call, moving the HS away from the board in this case. I plan to use a series reg at first, and simply measure the excact current draw, before attaching a shuntreg. Luckily I have a spare set of Shunty boards.

cviller said:
Cool you have turned this old thread back on - and it seems that all my boards have landed unharmed at maguras place. ;)

Hi cvi;)

Zen Mod said:

with L meter

connect two wires and measure ; if you connected them in phase , you'll have mucho L overall , comparing to L of halves

Thanks. It says 205mH no matter which two I connect together. Each winding is 48mH.

Magura said:

Oh, you're still alive and kicking :)

Yes, the boards has landed in Denmark.

Some has taken off to Austria, some to Italy, so now I'm just about out of boards.

I'm kicking alright! :D

You haven't signed up for any F5 pcbs... have you built one already?

Zen Mod said:

:confused:

my trusty (memeasurefookineverythin' " ) russkie meter always tells me when windings are outa phase .

OK - then just stay with MetalDanske's recipe , then CRO will tell if you have something out of phase .

Might be a silly question but do you actually want the windings to be in phase or out of phase? The setup is differential, so in phase would be out of phase or what? :confused:

cviller said:

Might be a silly question but do you actually want the windings to be in phase or out of phase? The setup is differential, so in phase would be out of phase or what? :confused:

To be honest, I can't remember, but what I do recall, is that you have no doubt if you have it hooked up right.

A weak memory of connecting the coils out of phase is surfacing though.

steenoe said:
When I connect the two long ends as CT. the meter says 2,3mH:) Something works, maybe not all though. Each half is 48mH and both windings in || also says 48mH.

I suspect that the meter is not up to the task. I have found, that the higher DCR a coil has, the further the reading has been off. I never had this sort of issues, with the big low DCR inductors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.