The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've assigned the major systems to each room. This is mainly an organizing device.
The people bringing the more complete systems and have been assigned spaces are under the obligation to swap in other components that people have brought. In some case the systems are pretty tightly integrated, but there still shouldn't be a problem swapping in stuff. If you aren't listed in a particular room just bring your equipment and put it in a room that seems appropriate and after maybe an hour then the Room Marshall will encourage swapping out components. Of course the system can be returned to the original configuration off and on also.

And if you have a Pass designed clone or a variation, he will be swapping in amps all day at the Pas Pub.

Hi Mark,

Do you happen to know if the front end in the Pass room will be balanced or unbalanced? I've got my Mini Aleph setup unbalanced at the moment but can easily switch to balanced.

Also, on the room assignments you have me listed under preamps in the DeForest Room, did you need me to bring the Bottlehead Foreplay? I'm happy to do so.

- Matt

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Matt, I 'd appreciate you bringing the Foreplay also , just to be safe.

I think that unbalanced is probably best because I'd like you to try the Mini-Aleph in the DeForest room too. The idea is that the Pass based amps don't stay in the Pass Pub, they just pass through! Does it require soldering to change?

Last edited:
and a mic pre and mic NO ONE has one? Gonna have to go to Guitar center, which will be painful because I'd rather make one myself later..

I missed the call. I am happy to bring a E-MU U0404 (stand alone and/or usb). Has phantom power, and balanced or 1/4" inputs.

Is the mic for sound reenforcement or measuring?

I am pretty sure I have a musician's mic: left to me when a musician friend left town.

And I can borrow an EMM-6 Dayton measuring mic from work. I haven't used it yet, but I could test it in the mean time.

Last edited:
The Peerless 850443 woofer raffle prizes are now even better!!!

NC%20DIY%20AUDIO%202010%202-way%20pair.jpg

Thanks to the support of the folks at Madisound Speaker Components Inc, the winners of the raffle of the pairs of woofers for the mini-monitor shown above will have the option to contact Madisound to purchase a kit consisting of a pair of the tweeters and a pair of assembled crossovers for only $99! It's everything you need to build these great speakers except the cabinet, binding posts and some internal wire.

A BIG thanks goes out to Adam at Madisound for his help putting together this Burning Amp special deal!

-Charlie

I missed the call. I am happy to bring a E-MU U0404 (stand alone and/or usb). Has phantom power, and balanced or 1/4" inputs.

Is the mic for sound reenforcement or measuring?

I am pretty sure I have a musician's mic: left to me when a musician friend left town.

And I can borrow an EMM-6 Dayton measuring mic from work. I haven't used it yet, but I could test it in the mean time.

Strange, I can't edit the post.

I am getting a too much hum right now. I can keep working on it, but it may be better if someone more experienced with microphones steps up. :(

Matt, I 'd appreciate you bringing the Foreplay also , just to be safe.

I think that unbalanced is probably best because I'd like you to try the Mini-Aleph in the DeForest room too. The idea is that the Pass based amps don't stay in the Pass Pub, they just pass through! Does it require soldering to change?

No problem, I'll pack the Foreplay and also a CD player just in case.

To celebrate the Giant's win this evening I added a switch to the Mini-A's to make it easy to switch between balanced and unbalanced.

- Matt

and a mic pre and mic NO ONE has one? Gonna have to go to Guitar center, which will be painful because I'd rather make one myself later..

Answered in another thread.

I am bringing tomorrow:

1.) Foldable line arrays with stands
2.) Behringer 2x300W class D amp
3.) Behringer 12 channel mixer
4.) Pair of large diaphragm condenser mikes
5.) XLR, speaker, and power cables for 1-4,

6.) Sony VPL PX-30 projector

7.) Tascam digital recorder, for speech only if we need to record presentations 96/24
8.) Panasonic camera to record presentations (no tripod, I lost it somewhere!).

All this as PA for different presentations. We can connect other sources as well, if you want, including lapel mike if you have, but I believe we don't need any lapel mikes because when frequency response is flat no feedback when speaking from 1-2 meters distance to the microphones.

Anatoliy

Sorry, new member and I just found out about this. It sounds like maybe equipment needs have been addressed, else I have such stuff, mics & stands, a very nice Avalon tube mic pre, small mixer, p.a. amp/spkrs. I have a thorens td165 but not sure about the needle condition, could look for one today perhaps.

I may come but would need to leave mid-day and come back, some family comittments. Is there a schedule of sorts here anywhere? Will there be some amp-building happening as well? Will try to sort through the 250 posts for answers in the meantime:)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anatoliy:

the recording is probably not necessary as Linear Systems will have their camera with audio person there. Of course if you want to make a hi res audio version also that would be fine.

Just ask where the"Big Room" is and put the stuff there.
Thank you,
Mark

Answered in another thread.

I am bringing tomorrow:

1.) Foldable line arrays with stands
2.) Behringer 2x300W class D amp
3.) Behringer 12 channel mixer
4.) Pair of large diaphragm condenser mikes
5.) XLR, speaker, and power cables for 1-4,

6.) Sony VPL PX-30 projector

7.) Tascam digital recorder, for speech only if we need to record presentations 96/24
8.) Panasonic camera to record presentations (no tripod, I lost it somewhere!).

All this as PA for different presentations. We can connect other sources as well, if you want, including lapel mike if you have, but I believe we don't need any lapel mikes because when frequency response is flat no feedback when speaking from 1-2 meters distance to the microphones.

Anatoliy

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The website has been updated:

BurningAmp : The annual audio DIY event at Fort Mason, San Francisco CA for audiophiles who make their own equipment, components for amps, speakers, and parts.

The talks start at 1:pM the doors open at 10 AM , or 8:30 if you want to help. We'll do amp building next year.. Probably we don't need your PA stuff, but thanks. It's the screen we need. Ours is pretty small.

Sorry, new member and I just found out about this. It sounds like maybe equipment needs have been addressed, else I have such stuff, mics & stands, a very nice Avalon tube mic pre, small mixer, p.a. amp/spkrs. I have a thorens td165 but not sure about the needle condition, could look for one today perhaps.

I may come but would need to leave mid-day and come back, some family comittments. Is there a schedule of sorts here anywhere? Will there be some amp-building happening as well? Will try to sort through the 250 posts for answers in the meantime:)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Marshall Lise:

Please bring the BBQ and the bundle of blankets.
without those items we can't function!
The beer tub couldn't hurt

Benchtester, Yeah that's what we have, so No need to bring it. I've gotr the one from last year, donated.. but not sure how many pieces I've lost
I'll bring it and some rope and see what we can do.. If it doesn't work we'll use our small one..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.