The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still no chatter? Variac, is the event still on track?

No news from me, but here's some chatter. Last year I bought a rough 2-way (DXT tweeter and ZA14 woofer). I've redesigned the crossover and will bring it in a finished state. I will probably also bring a new (possibly rough) ScanSpeak 2-way (HDS discovery tweeter and 15W Revelator woofer).

This SS 2-way will be converted to an active 3-way; but I doubt in time for BAF. So it's premier will be at your Davis event!

Last edited:
No news from me, but here's some chatter. Last year I bought a rough 2-way (DXT tweeter and ZA14 woofer). I've redesigned the crossover and will bring it in a finished state. I will probably also bring a new (possibly rough) ScanSpeak 2-way (HDS discovery tweeter and 15W Revelator woofer).

This SS 2-way will be converted to an active 3-way; but I doubt in time for BAF. So it's premier will be at your Davis event!

Cool. Looking forward to seeing you and your redesigned ZA14-DXT project next month! I should at least have an active 3-way, done "on the cheap" (inexpensive cabinet, drivers, and amps) but using a MiniDSP 4x10 DSP crossover.

Since you mentioned it - the NC DIY AUDIO GROUP event might take place in Palo Alto this spring instead of Davis, probably in April sometime. Just putting a little plug for it in here, in case some Bay Area folks are reading this... spread the word to all the speaker builders!

-Charlie

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, suddenly swamped with work for the last month, Of course...

I have a list of volunteers , but any more are always welcome.
Mention it here or PM me.

I have an idea. We worked out a bunch of systems for the rooms last year but I had to go home to get some missing stuff and when I came back everyone had just thrown their stuff together. Which was great but maybe the systems would have been better?

I'll post a link and people can tell me if they want to bring the same stuff this year but exhibit it as we planned or if they have different stuff

Charlie, since you hate that room you can have another this year! Wouldn't mind hearing your speaks again!

Mark

I have an idea. We worked out a bunch of systems for the rooms last year but I had to go home to get some missing stuff and when I came back everyone had just thrown their stuff together. Which was great but maybe the systems would have been better?
I thought you left the carefully prepared room assignment sheet at home last year... ;)
Charlie, since you hate that room you can have another this year! Wouldn't mind hearing your speaks again!

Mark

No, no, "hate" is way too strong a word... alas, several of the rooms have support posts that happen to be in an inconvenient location for speaker setup... but the venue is what it is. You just have to make the best of it. I'd be happy to be in the same room as last time, actually.

I will not be bringing the monstrosities that I did last year! I WILL be bringing a couple of recent demo speaker projects and I'm hoping/planning on having a computer set up to demonstrate my DIY active crossover design software, a.k.a. "ACD", along with a MiniDSP 4x10 crossover to drive them. Here's a link to the software for anyone who might be interested:
the Active Crossover Designer web page

-Charlie

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, well new stuff is better. Maybe I'm fooling myself but maybe I can get an idea of how stuff sounds now, knowing that thye'll sound a lot better elsewhere. I liked your "monster" a lot!
I'm getting a couple of dozen MORE moving blankets. Eventually everything in the rooms will be covered. We'll have to hand out blankets a the door to wrap yourself in! ;)

I wish I could make it this year but i am STILL paying for LAST years trip! I just don't have the $$ to do it this year. plus I don't have anything new...Maybe next year..

Zc

It's definitely more of a challenge (logistically and financially) when the event is 1500 miles away, eh? Feel for ya. Each year I have some delusions about attending the DIY Dayton event (mostly speaker DIY) and then realize that to bring a pair or two I would need to drive there, which would take about 3 days each way, plus hotels, gas, meals. It all adds up...

Luckily for me BA is only 60 miles away from me...

I admire those who attend from far away places!!! That's real DIY dedication.

-Charlie

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've assigned the major systems to each room. This is mainly an organizing device.
The people bringing the more complete systems and have been assigned spaces are under the obligation to swap in other components that people have brought. In some case the systems are pretty tightly integrated, but there still shouldn't be a problem swapping in stuff. If you aren't listed in a particular room just bring your equipment and put it in a room that seems appropriate and after maybe an hour then the Room Marshall will encourage swapping out components. Of course the system can be returned to the original configuration off and on also.

And if you have a Pass designed clone or a variation, he will be swapping in amps all day at the Pas Pub.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've got you listed!

Hi Mark,

I'm planning to bring the Aleph-X 100W mono's once again as per your invitation:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/73543-ax100-100w-aleph-x-monoblocks-64.html#post2876948

I do have to check with my traditional traveling companion to see if I can get a ride. I know he's going to be there. I just don't know if he has room or if his travel plans will allow for an additional freeloader. I will try and make contact with him this week.

Graeme

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.