Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Exactly, thank you GM. It's assuring to have strict targets.

That said, the speakers are excelling at some measurements. Especially at the ancient metrics foot-tappiness and girlfriend-hum-alonginess. Yesterday evening, my girlfriend was humming with the BIB and a flatmate walked past. Very naturally, she joined in to the quiet singalong, completely un-self-conscious. Stereo ladies, very charming. It's the BIB that's doing it, I'm certain.

I could stop working on the BIBs now, leave them be, and be happy. I'm not going to do that though - this design deserves the respect of a proper finished build-up.

kristleifur said:
Especially at the ancient metrics foot-tappiness and girlfriend-hum-alonginess. Yesterday evening, my girlfriend was humming with the BIB and a flatmate walked past. Very naturally, she joined in to the quiet singalong, completely un-self-conscious. Stereo ladies, very charming. It's the BIB that's doing it, I'm certain.

I could stop working on the BIBs now, leave them be, and be happy. I'm not going to do that though - this design deserves the respect of a proper finished build-up.

Then do stop. Both subjective measurements you mention are difficult to repeat. IMO, it's more difficult to keep ladies happy with music and big enclosures like BIBs than oneself.

You can always make another pair of sturdier built BIBs for critical listening when you don't want the ladies stereo soundstage :) .

Agreed up to a point in that females require extremely well damped alignments due to their generally much keener hearing acuity, so consider just gluing up the 'squeaking' joints and 'veneering' them with 6-10 mm BB or similar void free plywood, though mount the driver on the wood face.

GM

Loose LF

Hello
This is my first post even though i 've read all the thread about BIB.I have a question about the BIB.Recently i bought a pair of Fostex Fe167e drivers and i decided to built a BIB.I used the dimensions from the "BIB Calculator Updated" for this driver and i can say that the BIBs are huge (especially the width (30cm x 42cm x 167cm)).The problem is that i think the LF is a kind loose and no so deep.I dont know if the cause is the driver or something in the structure.Maybe is my idea because a friend of mine made a pair of BIBs using the Fostex Fe168eÓ much smaller in width and height but with deep and tight LF.
Any comment will be welcome.

Re: Loose LF

cgian said:
Hello
This is my first post even though i 've read all the thread about BIB.I have a question about the BIB.Recently i bought a pair of Fostex Fe167e drivers and i decided to built a BIB.I used the dimensions from the "BIB Calculator Updated" for this driver and i can say that the BIBs are huge (especially the width (30cm x 42cm x 167cm)).The problem is that i think the LF is a kind loose and no so deep.I dont know if the cause is the driver or something in the structure.Maybe is my idea because a friend of mine made a pair of BIBs using the Fostex Fe168eÓ much smaller in width and height but with deep and tight LF.
Any comment will be welcome.

cgian,

I am doing break in on my 167e now. Did you do the break in process?

myster_maze said:

Can you be more detailed on this? Looks interesting...
Nothing in the line? Not even "acoustastuff"?

Nope. The one thing I tried at GM's suggestion was to use a pennant in the mouth. The pennant was made of the same billiard felt and suspended cross-corner. The pennant shape matches the angle of the slant and goes the full length of the slant.

I switch around a lot of things. What is driving me nuts is the setup made with a Pioneer $10 bargain speaker purchased on closeout at PE for 50 cents each.

It sounds great with pleasant soundstage.

So Since I got a bunch of them to 'sacrifice' to experiments, I put Damar on a couple. Other tweaks have been less successful. And I wouldn't put varnish like Damar on your good 167e's until you were sure you wanted to do it.

Yesterday I got some Mod Podge and am going to try that on a couple of the cheapies I have left. From there I may treat myself to an EnaBl kit.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119852&highlight=

Hi cgian!

>>> The problem is that i think the LF is a kind loose and no so deep.I dont know if the cause is the driver or something in the structure.Maybe is my idea because a friend of mine made a pair of BIBs using the Fostex Fe168eÓ much smaller in width and height but with deep and tight LF.

>>> Any comment will be welcome.

I notice this when BIBs or back horns are not braced properly. Did you double up the front and rear panels of your BIBs? This will cause loose and hollow sounding bass as the panels vibrate too much. Brace the front and rear and play with stuffing and please report back.

>>> What is driving me nuts is the setup made with a Pioneer $10 bargain speaker purchased on closeout at PE for 50 cents each.

>>> It sounds great with pleasant soundstage.

I love it when cheap drivers sound great!

Godzilla

Mixing and matching posts above but we get the idea.

This is a side note but on topic for BIB. One of the Pioneers is just screwed onto an ill-fitting cutout for a FE127e BIB. It works fine and I get that nice fullness in piano.

*But* over in the other room I have a BIB made from the calculator for the same Pioneer which I followed assiduously. The results were disappointing and I'm going to take it down.

The point is that I do not know at this time if box design is in some way independent of the driver given all the parameters and whatnot.

I have a three inch Tangband W3- 871s with metal cone with which I could make an experiment.
make an experiment

myster_maze said:

loninappleton, did you mean that classic green felt?! How did you place it behind the driver?!

Erm, double stick tape I think. If you are going for permanence there's a carpet product that will give better adhesion. To be honest, I'd have to open one up and check. I also have used a thin variety of foam from disk drive boxes behind the driver on a bib.

A local pool table dealer was nice enough to give me a remnant of felt for free. Perhaps there is a shop where you can get some.

planet10 said:

You might want to check that, i seem to recall paper cone painted "silver"

dave

Ok, checking....

Guess so. Metal phase plug though. It would be marvelous strange to have them useful in something at last.

I have an old circular baffle I think I could rig up to put it in the BIB
just for grins.

Can't recall if the TB is in the defaults on the BIB calculator.

myster_maze said:

loninappleton, did you mean that classic green felt?! How did you place it behind the driver?!

loninappleton said:

Erm, double stick tape I think. If you are going for permanence there's a carpet product that will give better adhesion. To be honest, I'd have to open one up and check. I also have used a thin variety of foam from disk drive boxes behind the driver on a bib.

A local pool table dealer was nice enough to give me a remnant of felt for free. Perhaps there is a shop where you can get some.

Today I was back inside the BIB-- the good sounding one with the
cheap speaker in it described elsewhere.

This a direct response to the member who wanted to know what was inside it.

Answer: a wad of pillow fiber fill in the peak and nothing behide the
driver at all. I must've forgot. In experimenting with these cheapies and in my haste to get a system, working in my shop-- system consists of a hacked boombox with holes cut in the side to attach the BIB-- well in that haste I didn't do much to the inside.

Down at the base I put something below the bend. I have to take that apart too.

During this dismantling I have made a temporary baffle to attach a 3 inch Tangband WS 871s (now discontinued.) The general size and shape of the shielded magnet assembly is about the size of the inexpensive Pioneer.

The object is to test the box. I've come to the opinion that a large box with longer line can do things a shorter one can't even with the use of the calculator. But my ignorance of design theory is well- known. (hello, GM.)

;)