Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

kristleifur said:
I asked about the Omnes Audio BB 3.01 3" driver, and I missed your post, GM ...

Thanks!

I'm going to do these ... the thoughts I have now are that if I floor load it, the driver will be around 140 cm or 55 inches from the floor - I think this will be OK, as these drivers sound pretty good slightly off-axis. I'm doing a foam-board mockup first, wish me luck!

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I might try a version that's floor loaded, and double-folds the last half of the line, so the driver will be at around H80cm off the floor, looking like this:

< front

|
|/\

back >

why not use the .416 line length recommended earlier for floor loaded cabs? that would put the drivers at about 105cm instead.

will the mouth exit out the back of the cab or directly at the bottom? if at the bottom you may want to try some adjustable feet/spikes to get the distance just right. note, this would also raise the driver height. :)

let us know how they turn out

Just a quick Q, for a smallish room around 11ft square, with a large bay window, which driver would likely fit my needs?

No bigger than the ff165k (BiB size), which atm looks my best bet.

Music - PinkFloyd, Massive Attack, The Doors, Supertramp, Seth Lakeman as well as Dance music, Folk, Indie....

Volumes- Never too loud, but must be able to play Blue Man Group/Massive Attack at reasonable levels.

To go with Michell Focus One TT / Teac VRDS10SE CDP / Consonance Cyber 10 SE USB AMP (8w)

Thanks

kristleifur said:
Hi, just to make sure >

When floor loading, do we want
  • 45 degree mouth angle relative to floor
  • Mouth size stays the same
  • Equivalent line length - compared to center of mouth
... ?

Thus lengthening the front face a bit, raising the backside cut and making a riser on the back?

Greets!

Depends on how much loading you want. I prefer a mouth parallel to the floor with thick carpet plus padding underneath if it isn't carpeted with similar to damp unwanted higher harmonics.

Yes.

Whatever works best for you.

GM

GM said:

Well, 'BIB' rules, so if this is as big as you can tolerate......... WRT which driver, I'm not familiar enough with any of the smaller ones to comment except the CSS FR125S and it's sensitivity is way too low for only 8 W.

GM

Thanks, looking into the Veravox 5s, not much info on it, but seems to have a really good reputation for dynamics and being generally good :D

Just ordered the Veravox's and the wood for the BiB's. :D

But made a slight mistake with the wood cuts, the BiB will be slightly shallower, the height and width will be the same but it will be 10" rather than 11" deep. will that make a huge difference, only calculated a 6 liter change... if that makes sense. :xeye:

Flaws in my Bib?

I stumbled on this epic thread after reading a review of the zigmahornet on 6moon. the bib sounded perfect for my application- a small basement room with space in the corners. In that room I practice clarinet and listen to jazz mostly. Also I have been itching for speakers to use with my 2A3 amp.

As an experiment I built some bibs using the Radio Shack 40-1197 drivers. I used polyfil about the drivers, thin felt lining the driver side of the baffle and some polyfil on the floor. I have been listening already even though the drivers are not broken in. After a few hours the volume noticably increased several times. Maybe it's too early to be adjusting these things.

I love the out-of-the-box sound of them, the detail and the beauty of the midrange. I had assumed that the reports of bass thinness would not make much difference with the type of music I play in this room. Mostly it doesn't- sometimes it very much does.

After hearing this I started measuring using the stereophile cd test tones and a RS SPL meter. this exercise showed a rapid fall off in the bass below 80Hz. When walking around playing some test tones I heard very obvious comb filtering. I never knew what that meant before.

My question is: I am observing flaws in my build that I can correct, with different damping etc? Or am I hearing the way this horn sounds? Or should I wait a couple months before even worrying about it?

I would appreciate any advice.

Tim

Hi tcrane, okay, you've got a test-tone CD. You've noted there is a drop-off after 80Hz and you are in a basement.

1. What is the lowest audible frequency on the CD?
2. Height of ceiling?
3. Square footage of room?
4. What's on the floor and walls (e.g., rug etc.)

Just fishing here for a reason. I have not heard or read of reports of "bass thinness" with BiB's. Au contraire, mon ami.

rjbond3rd said:
Hi tcrane, okay, you've got a test-tone CD. You've noted there is a drop-off after 80Hz and you are in a basement.

1. What is the lowest audible frequency on the CD?
2. Height of ceiling?
3. Square footage of room?
4. What's on the floor and walls (e.g., rug etc.)

Just fishing here for a reason. I have not heard or read of reports of "bass thinness" with BiB's. Au contraire, mon ami.

1. 56Hz is the lowest the meter detected- I could here 30Hz but just barely audible.
2. 7 feet
3. 150 sq ft
4. 1 wall is floor to ceiling books and records. walls are sheetrock over studs over concrete. floor is rug glued to concrete. These bibs open toward the ceiling.

tc

Godzilla said:
Just spent about an hour listening to my 165k BIBs and loved them. Sometimes they sound warm and lush while sometimes they sound thin. Depends on the music selection i guess. Paul McCartney, Bruce Springstein sounded lush and warm as did Pink Floyd. Blondie and Queen sounded thin except for Another One Bites the Dust which is full of bass. Everyting sounded clear and effortless. Guitars and special effect sounds just pop out of nowhere with a surprising amount of life. Very cool. I would like to upgrade to the fostex 225k but don't have the room. My ceiling is only 76 inches high in the basement.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/systems.asp

This is just about exactly what I am experiencing.

tc