Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

BTW, GM your BiPole CSS FR MLTL was the 1st set of speakers I built and I absolutely LOVED the sound...just couldn't drive them as hard as I like...I'm guilty of loving quite high SPL from time to time...some music was just meant to be listened to that way (aside from some alternative rock there's something about Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" ---RUDY--- specifically and Alan Parson Project's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" [must be the dynamics] that beg to be listened to on 11 (to paraphrase Nigel from This Is Spinal Tap) to name just a few. Anyway, I'm hoping these BIB's will give me that gorgeous sound I had before with the SPL I desire. All that to say this I guess...your previous design is what made me want to try this so thanks for you contributions to the DIY community.

Scott...I got to see Loreena last week....WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO I was AMAZED! I've been a fan of hers since...The Visit if i recall correctly...and this was the first chance I had to see her live. I concur, if you're a fan of hers and you have the chance, do NOT miss that opportunity. As good as she is on her albums the live experience is that much better. Unbelievable.

:) Loreena is rather special isn't she. Her albums are masterpieces. To see here live takes me to musical heaven.

Alan Parsons Project -Tales... one of the best tests of dynamics I know. FR drivers tremble at the mention of its name.

Just to concur with Greg -the base, internal and rear panel of the BIB are all good with MDF or chipboard (particleboard) -better than with BB ply actually as it's lossier. Being stiffer, the ply works a treat for the side panels and front baffle. Saves cash, which can only be a good thing.

Alethos said:
Scott...I got to see Loreena last week....WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO I was AMAZED! I've been a fan of hers since...The Visit if i recall correctly...and this was the first chance I had to see her live. I concur, if you're a fan of hers and you have the chance, do NOT miss that opportunity. As good as she is on her albums the live experience is that much better. Unbelievable.

Alethos,

Which show did you see? My wife and I saw her in Oakland last Saturday. A lovely evening of music indeed!

Bill

Godzilla;
Thanks for your site dedicated to these BIBs i've been lurking not only there but here for quite a while. Your replaceable baffle had me interested but I think i'm going to go for just the straight up cut and paste method.

Scott or GM...if I go with the MDF or Particleboard where does the extra bracing need to go? And are we talking dowels as not to interfere w/ those waves we all love so much?

Scottmoose said:
:) Loreena is rather special isn't she. Her albums are masterpieces. To see here live takes me to musical heaven.

no kidding, Scott.

I was fortunate enough to attend her concert last night with Dave & Ruth, and it certainly sets the bar awfully high for any future concerts.
As it turns out, the last two evenings in Victoria were the final performances of the international tour that you mentioned, how many months ago now?

To describe this seriously tight band of gypsies as world-class is an understatement, and in case of Caroline Lavelle, there's more than enough eye-candy as well.

Too bad about that the sound at this particular venue (the "venerable' Royal Theatre), was as usual for me, just a notch or two too far past "11". With the already extreme frequency and dynamic range present in her program material, it's far to easy to overload not only the gear, but the room as well.

I took Scott's word for this show, and we saw her here in San Diego on the 11th. Fantastically musical show. The Celtic aura and traditional instruments were very much appreciated by the terrific crowd at Humphrey's, which is THE best outdoor venue I can think of having been to, for small, and great sounding. A++

Driver Mounting BIB

About the positioning of the driver in a BIB, why not place the driver on a "side" face of the cabinet. As long as there is sufficient space behind the driver and good dampening is used (to prevent HF bouncing thru the driver cone) this would place the driver on a wider baffle, lessening the need for BSC with a "pizza box" or round false baffle.

Can anyone tell me why this would be a bad idea?

lousymusician said:

Alethos,
Which show did you see? My wife and I saw her in Oakland last Saturday. A lovely evening of music indeed!
Bill
Bill, I saw her in Salt Lake City at a pretty small venue which I was quite happy about. The acoustics weren't all that great...but not all that bad either. I think we were like 15 rows back, center which made up for the less than stellar sound. "Old Ways", the song I was looking forward to most sounded frickin' sweet, especially with the little nuances they added for the live performance. It's a great year for concerts for me! Loreena (my absolute, bar none, favorite female singer) and my favorite band of all time, Jethro Tull! They're coming in Oct...Woot! Although Ian has lost his voice...ah to see them in their heyday...I'm still very excited to see them in concert. I've only had one opportunity before and my boss at the time made me work...man I wish I would have had my priorities straight at that time.

BTW, my name's Json (pronounced Jason) so you guys can address me as that as opposed to my username. If you like.

Scottmoose said:
Some around the terminus is a good idea as that's the point which is relatively unbraced.
GM said:
Greets!
Right, the last ~1/4 of the pipe, so staggered dowels or a simple 'x' divider like is used in bass-horns.
GM
Alrighty. Haven't had a chance to get the wood cut yet, just laid out the plans...man these things are going to use a lot of wood. The excitement builds...the longer I don't.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Loreena is rather special isn't she.

Chris, Ruth & I saw her on Saturday night. She & the band were fantastic. Last concert of the tour, and it was been captured for a TV show. I would really like to hear her in a smaller venue with less or no PA as at times i found myself listening thru the PA wondering how much i was missing. Somewhere in the chain of the mic she used when sitting at the piano, something was overloading which meant the fortissimo parts were clipped. On the whole the PA was better than most.

dave

PS: i was expecting a red head, and was a bit dissappointed that she was blond...

:D Ah well, can't have everything...

Glad you guys enjoyed the shows! I didn't think you'd be disappointed somehow... I'd love to hear her in a small venue too. Sounds like their gear might have been struggling with the space a bit from what Chris said; I didn't have that problem at the Barbican Centre, which is pretty nice acoustic, so probably they weren't needing to drive it so hard. Bet the atmosphere was impressive there, and at Humphrey's, with it being her last shows & open-air show respectively.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Sounds like their gear might have been struggling with the space a bit from what Chris said

The Royal Theatre is pretty good ... i've heard the symphony play (with no PA) Seats about 1500 with a main, a balcony-- even the nosebleed seats aren't bad

http://www.seevirtual360.com/themes/2/theme02.aspx?listingID=4384

Most PAs struggle. They had 2 boxes per side -- about the size of Bruce laid on their side -- and working on BIGa*s*s Bruce you know where that thining leads... replace the Crowns/Crest/Junk amps with something decent, things could be improved i'm sure...

dave

:D I'd donate them, period if she wanted them, no publicity required / asked for. ;) Gesture of thanks in return for all that her music has given me.

Actually, I spent an idle moment a couple of weeks back trying to decide what I'd do for a pipe-horn ~ optimised for Loreena's music. FWIW, I decided on the FE168ESigma in the longer pipe, 14in wide circular suprabaffle with fully radiussed (is that a word?) front & edges to blend with the pipe-gain, brass mounting rights & T925a brass supertweeter. Solid walnut side panels, maple for the front & probably particle-board for the internal and rear baffles (suitably painted of course).

We can always dream, can't we?

Hi, can I get a bit of advice from you wizards?

I've built an Amp6 and a pair of Cyburgs Needles. A good friend of mine really liked the combo, and wants a pair of speakers. She's moving into a new apartment soon, and I want to make her a nice stereo system that's also nice looking furniture.

I'd like a bit more bass and a bit more volume than the Needles, for not a lot more cash.

I'm thinking an either an Amp4 or Amp6, probably Amp4, and a BIB. Can you give any budget-effective driver recommendations?

I've heard nice things about the Monacor SPH-60X drivers, and I'm also interested in staying with Tangband, maybe some 4" Tangbands. I also like what I've read about the CSS-FR125 drivers.

I think I'd like to keep the price of the pair of drivers below $100.

Thanks!