SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

Good news! I have a qualified furniture maker with a mind boggling woodworking factory on board to head up the build.

There are no less than three different sized saw benches on hand to get the cuts of all sizes and angles to perfection.

We are continuing the 3D modelling this week, and I hope to be able to get Art to verify the models dimensions are as specified.

After the 3D model has been verified as correct, it then gets exploded into cut sheets...and we fire up the saws!

3D model coming along.

There were a few expected discrepancies due to exact inch increments being quoted where angles are involved.

However the horn itself should be exactly to spec with respect to angles and sizes.

This initial sketchup model is intended to communicate to the fabricator what the end result should be, and he will recreate it from scratch in solidworks.

A few deceiving looking angles on the screen grab, but its actually all square and measuring up to spec!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 2.01.44 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 2.01.44 pm.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,875
Last edited:
However the horn itself should be exactly to spec with respect to angles and sizes.

A few deceiving looking angles on the screen grab, but its actually all square and measuring up to spec!
Fin,

The throat of the SynTripP is not square, so a bit more respect to angles and sizes will be required ;^).

Also, the front of the horn is not flush with the front of the box, unless you intend to eliminate the grill frame that fits in, which is an intermediate angle between the initial and secondary horn expansion, and contributes to better polar performance when the secondary horn is not used, and smoother response when it is.

Art

Attachments

• SynTripP Rough Throat.jpg
    SynTripP Rough Throat.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,940
Last edited:
I think the Synergy calculator by Bwaslo will calculate cut panels for you with square throat and rectangular mouth. That would be preferable as the transition from the round CD throat to horn throat would not have the sudden expansion in 1 dimension.
To avoid a "sudden expansion" with a square throat would require the 1/2" horn walls to be reduced to almost nothing at the transition, not preferable from a construction standpoint.
The driver mounting plate contains most of the horn throat round to rectangular transition, hence the rectangular shape of the horn throat.
The 90 degree horizontal and 40 degree vertical dispersion at 16 kHz demonstrates the throat transition works well.

Attachments

• SynTripP Throat.png
    SynTripP Throat.png
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,681
Fin,

The throat of the SynTripP is not square, so a bit more respect to angles and sizes will be required ;^).

Also, the front of the horn is not flush with the front of the box, unless you intend to eliminate the grill frame that fits in, which is an intermediate angle between the initial and secondary horn expansion, and contributes to better polar performance when the secondary horn is not used, and smoother response when it is.

Art

Understood, thanks Art.

Although I do like the visual appeal of seeing into the horn!

I expect there will be a few things to fine tune in the model before it gets turned into cut sheets.

We can also include any mods you might wish to introduce that would be beneficial.

(getting excited!)

Cheers Art!

THROAT:
I missed the non-square throat size because I made the assumption it was square and took the dimensions from part D, as 2.3125.

Ill reverse engineer the size from the angles and sizes of D and E.

ON DIMENTIONS:

At this stage I am assuming that the dimensions of E specifically state the horns INSIDE dimensions.

As E is rotated to 18.175 degrees, the faces that touch D are slightly angled, and so the join is not square. Thus they need a slight angle cut, but which side becomes the stated measurement? Thus I have currently assumed the dimensions state the INSIDE of the horn.