196.7 KB · Views: 2,829
  • SynTripP Assembly.png
    SynTripP Assembly.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 2,806
  • SynTripP Assembly 2.png
    SynTripP Assembly 2.png
    55 KB · Views: 2,685
Reactions: 1 user
I searched for compression drivers under $300 that fit the recommendations of this build (1.4" exit, 3" diaphragm, etc). I re-scaled their factory frequency response plots (found on their respectable spec sheets) to match one another's scale. I also compiled a simple spreadsheet to make other comparisons (i.e. AES power, approximate cost [of course this will vary depending where you order from], nominal resistance, sensitivity, etc), just to reduce some "spec sheet sifting" time.

If anyone would like me to add or remove a response trace (it is a little cluttered as of now) for better viewing/comparison reasons, I am willing to make edits.

See below:

Attachments

• Compression Drivers 3 inch.jpg
    Compression Drivers 3 inch.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,811
  • Compression Driver Comparison v2, 3 in VC, 1.4 in Exit.jpg
    Compression Driver Comparison v2, 3 in VC, 1.4 in Exit.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 1,733
Hi Art,

Excellent work, yet again. Have these been living up to your expectations?

There's a group doing a show at an 8,000 sq. ft. warehouse every other month and are afraid of the sound getting "swallowed up" as they put it. How many of these, per side, would you recommend? They'd be going above (4 or more) TH-18s. I also have thoughts placing some tops around the midway point of the "room" (and delaying them) for further coverage.

Also, how many do you recommend to cover up to 1k people outdoors? How about 2-3k people outdoors?

Cheers!

Crescendo,

Thanks, the SynTripP cabinets have lived up to my expectations. The coverage is basically 90 x 40, so generally one per side covers most venues, with some small center fill cabinets used when the mains are elevated 8 feet or so above the ground. Depending on the amount of LF compared to HF desired, one or two TH-118 per side would be a good match for a pair.

As far as how many people you can "cover", there really is no limit, the only question is whether the SPL generated is adequate for the musical genre and distance. At 32 meters (104 feet) a pair of SynTripP can easily do around 100 dB SPL in their pass band. OSHA (the Occupational Safety & Health Administration) permits exposure to 100 dBA for only 2 hours per day. I find a single SynTripP can get louder at 100 feet than I would ever care to mix at, but engineers demanding 10 dB higher levels are not uncommon. Fortunately for my hearing, I don't work with those guys any more :^).

Art

I am starting to 3D model these now, with a view to end up with cut plans.
How is this coming together? I am very curious.

I searched for compression drivers under $300 that fit the recommendations of this build (1.4" exit, 3" diaphragm, etc). I re-scaled their factory frequency response plots (found on their respectable spec sheets) to match one another's scale. I also compiled a simple spreadsheet to make other comparisons (i.e. AES power, approximate cost [of course this will vary depending where you order from], nominal resistance, sensitivity, etc), just to reduce some "spec sheet sifting" time.

If anyone would like me to add or remove a response trace (it is a little cluttered as of now) for better viewing/comparison reasons, I am willing to make edits.

See below:

How about this new Eminence 1,4" driver:
Driver Detail | Eminence Speaker

:)

The N314T8 driver looks like an excellent deal.

Though I am pleased with the response of the Celestion CDX14-3050 drivers used in the SynTripP, for the cost I had expected a closer match between drivers than what I measured.

The Eminence HF drivers (PSD 2002 and APT) I have owned have had unit to unit variations of as much as 6 dB at various frequencies, hopefully these new drivers have better quality control. Eminence AES ratings are always indicative of their power handling, at 100 watts 800 Hz 12 dB crossover the N314T8 is certainly up to the task.

Art

OK! I have ordered TWO of the B&C mid range drivers to prototype a build.

I think the CD is a shoe in, and getting the builds right for the mids is where the challenge and risk is.

Very Excited! This system will be absolutely perfect for the cocopocoloco artcar!

Ill continue with the 3D modelling. Once its all kosher ill turn it into cut sheets and get hacking on the sawbench!