• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

hi miero,

i am a very linux beginner and trying to mount my music lib ( usb hard drive, ntfs partition) at the location /data/local using the command:

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /data/local

but get bad option notes ! is the ntfs-3g driver not included into the botic5? or how should i mount the ntfs hard drive?

best regards

hi miero,

i am a very linux beginner and trying to mount my music lib ( usb hard drive, ntfs partition) at the location /data/local using the command:

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /data/local

but get bad option notes ! is the ntfs-3g driver not included into the botic5? or how should i mount the ntfs hard drive?

best regards

don't worry, i installed now the ntfs-3g :)

Simple shell script for basic configuration of ES9018 via I2C:
https://github.com/miero/botic-tools/blob/master/daccfg_es9018

Helper for Botic V5 driver to control volume and set HW params:
https://github.com/miero/botic-tools/blob/master/botic_helper

Hi miero,

do I just type these in at the command prompt, or do I have to type them in e.g. nano and save them as something?

I assume the latter and I just save them as daccfg_es9018 and botic_helper? Do Ihave to save them somewhere specific?

Do I have to type
Code:
echo "/sbin/botic_helper" > /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/helper_cmd
every time I boot or just once?

Sorry if these seem obvious, but I'm not a coder (you may have guessed!).

I tried enabling the HW volume control in mpd.conf, but mpc status says "volume:n/a" and when I try to alter the volume in ympd, it says "problems setting volume"

Last edited:
My guess is that you first have to export the GPIO pins used for the LEDs.

Something like:
Code:
echo 31 | sudo tee /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out | sudo tee /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/direction
After that you can check their value:
Code:
cat /sys/class/gpio31/value

Exactly.

Here are the shell scripts based on the miero's original to turn on/off LEDs.

Turning on LEDs:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

###
### GPIO pin setup for LEDs on
###

### LED1 ###
echo 30 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio30/direction
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio30/value

### LED2 ###
echo 60 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio60/direction
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio60/value

### LED3 ###
echo 31 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/direction
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/value
Turning off LEDs:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

###
### GPIO pin setup for LEDs off
###

### LED1 ###
echo 30 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio30/direction
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio30/value

### LED2 ###
echo 60 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio60/direction
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio60/value

### LED3 ###
echo 31 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/direction
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/value

My guess is that you first have to export the GPIO pins used for the LEDs.

Something like:
Code:
echo 31 | sudo tee /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out | sudo tee /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/direction
After that you can check their value:
Code:
cat /sys/class/gpio31/value

Thanks lintweaker.
I entered the above code and got:

Code:
cat: /sys/class/gpio31/value: No such file or directory

The ledon and ledoff scripts worked though (apart from LED3 not lighting of course).

I tried the same with the daccfg_es9018 script. Saved it, made it executable and executed it, Got this:
Code:
Error: Read failed.

Not having much luck there and volume is still n/a. Am I the only person trying to control the BuffaloII via i2c?

Last edited:
With these scripts, all LEDs should be turned on or turned off. As pointed out by Russ in the other thread, it may suggest the possibility of incomplete soldering somewhere on the Hermes-BBB board, I guess.

I'm beginning to think that's the issue. Odd though, because the joints all look very good (all lovely and shiny).

Oh well, third time soldering them will (hopefully) be lucky!

Not sure why the volume doesn't work though. The Hermes i2c header is connected to the BuffaloII headers and I've added the lines to mpd.conf.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
With these scripts, all LEDs should be turned on or turned off. As pointed out by Russ in the other thread, it may suggest the possibility of incomplete soldering somewhere on the Hermes-BBB board, I guess.
If it is any consolation, Duffy, I see the same behavior. My LED3 normally stays off, and is untouched by these scripts even though I have seen it lit during incomplete BBB initialization. I am messing with ALSA :confused: , so not worried about GPIO at the moment. I'll be noting your progress with I2C.

Frank

If it is any consolation, Duffy, I see the same behavior. My LED3 normally stays off, and is untouched by these scripts even though I have seen it lit during incomplete BBB initialization. I am messing with ALSA :confused: , so not worried about GPIO at the moment. I'll be noting your progress with I2C.

Frank

I'm not sure whether this comment can be correct or wrong, but so far, I have built three sets of Hermes-BBB/Cronus boards, each with Botic5 system and all functioning well, and have never experienced such an unlit LED remaining after successful booting.

This may be a particular case only pertinent to the way I set up. But from this experience, I thought and am still thinking that the presence of unlit LED without explicit setting of GPIO value appears a sign of something physically incomplete still residing in your soldered boards.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm not sure whether this comment can be correct or wrong, but so far, I have built three sets of Hermes-BBB/Cronus boards, each with Botic5 system and all functioning well, and have never experienced such an unlit LED remaining after successful booting.

This may be a particular case only pertinent to the way I set up. But from this experience, I thought and am still thinking that the presence of unlit LED without explicit setting of GPIO value appears a sign of something physically incomplete still residing in your soldered boards.

As far as I know, only the battery setup - actual battery plus 4 pin connection between Hermes and BBB - remains to be installed. I don't want to commit those parts to one particular board until necessary...