• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

As far as I know, only the battery setup - actual battery plus 4 pin connection between Hermes and BBB - remains to be installed. I don't want to commit those parts to one particular board until necessary...
I've installed the battery as well as virtually all the headers (where there are holes for headers).
If I have time today, I'll reflow all joints and see if I can solve my LED and DSD problems.

As far as I know, only the battery setup - actual battery plus 4 pin connection between Hermes and BBB - remains to be installed. I don't want to commit those parts to one particular board until necessary...

I've installed those 4-pin headers and socket for battery in my all three system for future use but I suppose this will be irrelevant to the current issue.

I've installed the battery as well as virtually all the headers (where there are holes for headers).
If I have time today, I'll reflow all joints and see if I can solve my LED and DSD problems.

From my humble experiences with building three Hermes-BBB/Cronus boards:

First build: I was very cautious in soldering every pin to the corresponding pad and the result was quite okay except wrong soldering of Cronus output for B3SE :p.

Second build: I could do soldering in more relaxed way, though the work was quite tedious as on the first time. But the result was okay as expected. Thought I accustomed to this work.

Third build: I felt I could solder every pin even blindfolded and thought that all soldeinrg went perfect. On boot, all LEDs were lit as expected but no sound from Cronus output! What's worse, I noticed some ICs are getting unusually hot with quite low voltage of MCLK. I quickly desoldered the joints between Hermes and Cronus using a desoldering tool. After that I resoldered carefully and could recover the boards, which are now working well.

Just my two cents.

Speaking of LEDS on or off, does anyone else have the issue where when BBB is shut down, two of the LEDS remain on (this is with battery back up on Hermes).
I use the script from Miero that turns the LEDS off when running, but on poweroff two come back on.

Though this request may be possible by setting kernel option, the quick way is to add some lines to the /etc/rc.local like the example below:

Code:
### LED1 ###
echo 30 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio30/direction
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio30/value

You can add the similar lines with different number of gpio for another LED to be remained turned off after booting.

I myself didn't try this proposal. Sorry in advance if it does not work.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
---
Just my two cents.

Thanks for the useful experiences! Now I'm curious! I use Cardas Quad-eutectic solder, which flows very nicely, and I diligently form a meniscus on both sides of the board for each joint. But i might have hurried... I will also re-flow all of the Hermes joints just out of curiosity, and report any changes. :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Reflowing had no effect on LEDs or on my DSD playback.

I haven't had any luck with i2c either, despite soldering wire directly to BuffaloII pads.

No change in LED behavior here following careful reflow. :no:

This may be in one of the threads somewhere, but remind me: What is the difference between the connectors on Hermes labeled ISO_I2C and those labeled I2C_BBB?

First build: I was very cautious in soldering every pin to the corresponding pad and the result was quite okay except wrong soldering of Cronus output for B3SE :p.

Second build: I could do soldering in more relaxed way, though the work was quite tedious as on the first time. But the result was okay as expected. Thought I accustomed to this work.

Third build: I felt I could solder every pin even blindfolded and thought that all soldeinrg went perfect. On boot, all LEDs were lit as expected but no sound from Cronus output! What's worse, I noticed some ICs are getting unusually hot with quite low voltage of MCLK. I quickly desoldered the joints between Hermes and Cronus using a desoldering tool. After that I resoldered carefully and could recover the boards, which are now working well.

Just my two cents.

With that experience you could share some photos of Cronus and BIIISE :) Will you? I cannot make the duo work yet.

With that experience you could share some photos of Cronus and BIIISE :) Will you? I cannot make the duo work yet.

Hi zz1969,

Firstly I'm not sure what kind of issue you have in making the duo work. It is quite straightforward. D1, D2, DCK and GND on B3SE just go to the pin headers of the same labeling on the Cronus. If the labeling is consistent on each side, you can even use the B3-specified pin headers for B3 for B3SE on the Cronus with this reference by Russ.

Also, I'm currently connecting the Cronus to a Teleporter because the current Hermes-BBB and Cronus boards are more than 6 or 7 meters away from my B3SE which connects the other Teleporter located just behind the dac case. So I think showing pictures of these connections will be of no use for you.

BTW, the subject is off from this thread. Cronus thread may be more appropriate.

Regards,

Last edited:
Thanks, Twluke. Made it working finally. Parameters for DSD:
root@botic:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: DSD_U32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 88200 (88200/1)
period_size: 128
buffer_size: 16384

Are those correct parameters? I was confused by the rate: 88200. It is a DSF file playing.

Thanks, Twluke. Made it working finally. Parameters for DSD:
root@botic:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: DSD_U32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 88200 (88200/1)
period_size: 128
buffer_size: 16384

Are those correct parameters? I was confused by the rate: 88200. It is a DSF file playing.

Hi, it appears quite okay. You are now playing a DSD64 source. If playing a DSD128 source, the rate should be 176400, whether it is dsf or dsdiff.

Oh. I didn't know we had to enter additional commands. Maybe that's why I was getting noise?

That is not a command (apart from "cat") and is not related to your problem. It's showing a sort of info from alsa driver on how your sound card (Botic in this case) is working with your music source, which may be either PCM or DSD.

Last edited:
Ahh OK. Thanks. Maybe it'll be useful for troubleshooting?

Unfortunately not. But it might be worth to check the status of your DSD playback on Botic with alsa driver.

Try one of them:
Code:
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
or
less /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
If you get a result similar to zz1969's, then your alsa driver is working well at the software level and your problem may be again directed to the hardware setting. This is my personal guess and others may have different ideas.