StevenZ's Alpair 12P Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recess and Roundover for Driver Cutout

I trust with that thick a baffle you've provide lots of chamfer or radiused relief to the rear side of cut-out - a hole lot easier before assembly than afterwards.

Yes chrisb. This build is quite fascinating and thought provoking as I have to think a few steps ahead, not having built a speaker before. Reading this forum has been immensely helpful.

Here are the 2 pieces of the baffle. Oak with recess. And BB with 1/2" roundover. I'm still not sure the roundover is enough. But I do not have a larger bit and the 45degree chamfer bit is too large for my medium duty router.

Denis

Attachments

• Baffle driver cutout recessed and rounded over.jpg
    Baffle driver cutout recessed and rounded over.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 493
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Bob, Guys,
I didn't design the driver frames to take a pressure load on the rear of the unit. If this installation rout is used, CARE MUST BE TAKEN TO APPLY ONLY A MARGINAL TOUCH PRESSURE . Apply just enough shimming to make a light interference fit. Better still, use a strip of high density foam (or similar) material between the rear of the driver and the brace. Its got some give in it that should provide the desired attachment while dissipating the stress load.

This is the related boilerplate from our plansets and applies to all drivers.

7/ The fit of the brace should be determined in the field... the brace should be tight against the magnet of the driver, but not so much that it stresses the basket... small paper or wooden shims can be used if necessary.

dave

Well fellas, I finally got them together and am absolutely loving them. I don't have any stuffing in them yet (supplier was closed today) but plan to add some within the next day or two.

As for previous comments about my window bracing effecting bass response, I can say that what I'm hearing is a lush and yet very well controlled low end. Definitely not lacking in my current room and just about perfect for my listening habits.

I will be honest and say this, I'm in my 1st hour of break-in and I have listened at above break-in levels for just a few moments, though never exceeding 1mm of xmax(so perhaps not above break-in levels??). The results were simply wonderful and are a sure indicator that in time I will be rewarded with even more beautiful sound and an even more lush and natural bottom end.

As for my cutout chamfer, I went to Lowe's today and grabbed a rasp as recommended by Zia. A few minutes of grinding and I was satisfied with an eyeballed 45* chamfer on the cutout. After that it was smooth sailing and a lot of fun.

I can't comment on the driver bracing as has been discussed previous to this post, but I personally have never used it. Also, I feel I torqued down on the drivers quite a bit and haven't had the bad experiences with coil rub or any distortion as I had with my Alpair 7.3's a while back in another build thread.

Overall, fantastic driver, Mark. My current setup for these drivers includes an Emotiva ERC-2 transport, Electra-Print PVA passive preamp, and an ICEPower 125ASX2 power amp. So far this combination of gear has been adequate but I believe the amplifier can be improved upon and will be in due time. Thanks Mark for producing such a wonderful driver, and thanks to Planet 10 and Scott for an awesome enclosure.

Cheers,
Steven

Attachments

• 2012-07-22_17-29-19_738.jpg
    2012-07-22_17-29-19_738.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 434
Well guys, I have about 24 hours on them so far, and even at low volume I can tell they're starting to open up quite a bit. The bass is getting a little more lush and defined and the sound stage seems to be really coming together. At first it seemed a little distant (as in deep) but it seems to be coming to the front a little which I really like. Micro-details are great, I can hear the spit in the trumpet on some recordings which is kinda gross, but a real testament to how well Mark's drivers reveal the true recording.

My break-in CD is Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else" album. I mix it up with Montana Skies every once in a while and feel that both of these discs are doing what they're supposed to do in easing the driver into it's optimum performance. I'm looking forward to getting the drivers fully broken in and really digging into some critical listening on Monday.

Also, I noticed that not only have all of the North American suppliers sold out of the Alpair 12P, but they've also taken them down from their sites. That's somewhat concerning as it makes me think that they won't be replenished. Any word on if there will be another shipment or possibly another variation?

-Steven

^another production run is in the works: www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/214512-just-ordered-set-alpair-12p-madisound-usa-11.html#post3076101

I'm @ 90hours break in with mine, will hit the century mark this evening.

Trying to decide on a build, i.e., std Pencil or wait for Scott's new box plan. I realize he's very busy with other more important matters, just a friendly little hint and nudge;)

That's good news. I wasn't aware Scott was designing a new enclosure. I'll be patiently waiting! :)

well, for what it's worth, Jeff has had a pair of SuperPensils running for several weeks now, with short trestle bases to raise them ( was it 4" ?) , and hasn't noticed any substantial deprecation of bass response - of course he hasn't measured them

well, for what it's worth, Jeff has had a pair of SuperPensils running for several weeks now, with short trestle bases to raise them ( was it 4" ?) , and hasn't noticed any substantial deprecation of bass response - of course he hasn't measured them

This is bound to be a little room specific. There is definitely a decrease in lower bass output, but not enough to remove the 4" bases, at least for most of the music I listen to.

BTW, congrats on your build Steven.:up:

jeff

This is bound to be a little room specific. There is definitely a decrease in lower bass output, but not enough to remove the 4" bases, at least for most of the music I listen to.

BTW, congrats on your build Steven.:up:

jeff

OK, I stand corrected - clearly misheard your comment, and haven't listened to the system since installation of the bases - but they certainly didn't lack it for my taste to start with, and FWIW I didn't personally find the driver placement too low to be enjoyable.

For those folks waiting with bated breath for Scott's new taller design for the A12P - it might not be at the top of his list at the moment.

Steve: enjoy them

I'm actually finding it at stock height to be just fine. I don't feel the imaging is a tad low or anything of the sort. But I do think eventually i'll make some wider bases for them so nobody accidentally knocks them over. If anyone is on the edge about building these, or the supers, just go for it. You'll be happy you did.

Cheers,
Steven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.