Spawn Olson/Nagaoka Horns the Next Generation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
+1. It doesn't make any difference one way or the other where the wire itself is in terms of functionality, but as Dave says, minimising potential leaks is always a good move, so if you've any doubts at all, run it straight out the back.

Re the base, whatever you like really; they'll all behave in slightly different ways, whether you'd hear any difference between them or not is another matter. Personally, I'd advocate a reasonably sized base panel with heavy-duty spikes or possibly rounded bolts to reduce the potential for tipping (while the latter would reduce the potential for destroying your floor, since 'light' isn't the first word that comes to mind with these cabinets).

That would depend on conditions: system, room, personal preference etc. Basically though, since they are back-loads, it's a case of whatever applies for the drivers applies for them. The small unit edges the larger ones in the mids & HF, as you increase in size, so you progressively trade some of that off for gains in dynamic range & SPLs.

I just moved all fornitures trying to find a space where to fit two blh (I know they're not exactly horns..:D), and the only disposition I could find was this one(see photos).

The distance between the cabinets would be 1.70 m, and the listning point around 3m from the drivers.
Room is around 4x4 m (more or less..), but as you can see on the back there is the kitchen on one side and the stairs on the other.. Of course I'll put a big picture on the wall and something else here and there trying to avoid problems with naked walls, but since I just moved everithing and I'm going to build them maybe next year, I 'have quite a lot of time to think about what to do (actually I'm working around a pair of fonkens with the ff125wk).

Any suggestion?

I was thinking of the fe206en cabinet, becouse of the bass response and spl, but the cabinet is really big compared to the smaller one, and drivers shouts starting buy only 2khz... The fe126en in small in everithing, starting from the input power they can support, but with a better spl response, almost flat considering a 0+-3dbl from 150hz up to 16khz (where they 'die').

Ervin

IMG_0061.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 621
Usually I listen to completaly different kind of music (italian singer-songwriters, quiet classical music, I love female voices like adele or a fine frenzy and son on..), but since with the fonkens I won't be able to fully appreciate orchestral music, I decided to build a pair of horns too, to use when I need something more.

I guess I'll have to choose between fe206en and fe166en all buy my self:D

Really appreciated your patience scott, thank you!

Ervin

I've tried the Fe 126 en's in Frugalhorn 1's, the 166 en's in a BVR and 206e in Vulcans. They all sounded great but I would argue that bigger is better every time, I like the extra bass and dynamic headroom of bigger drivers and never found them lacking in detail. I also built a pair of Krishima's to test my Fe 203 en-s before I brought them home and they sounded pretty amazing, my buddy who I left them with in the US will be fitting a pair of 206 en to them any day which should be interesting.

What desgn did you use for the fe166en? Compared to the fe206en, how does the fe166en sounds like?

I can't remember what it was called, it was on the old Frugal horn site and I believe it was originally intended for the 167, it was a half Chang I think. Pretty good considering it was never designed for that driver. I'm going to build a pair of Haruna's next. Yep, I've definitely caught the bug.
It's been a while since I heard the 166's but they were good, though overall as I've said I'd go for the 206's.

My concern is about the high frequency spl response of the fe 206en. I guess a bvr like the onur horn or the first family of bvrs buy scott would be perfect. If I'm not wrong that kind of enclosure tends to elevate spl at low/medium frequences, wich is exactly what the fe 206en needs.

Ervin

My concern is about the high frequency spl response of the fe 206en. I guess a bvr like the onur horn or the first family of bvrs buy scott would be perfect. If I'm not wrong that kind of enclosure tends to elevate spl at low/medium frequences, wich is exactly what the fe 206en needs.

Ervin

I find the HF perfectly adequate as does everyone who has ever heard them, but I'm 53, test yourself with a signal generator. I doubt many people can hear nearly as high as they think. Young people I suspect suffer more then most through Ipod earphone abuse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.