Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Records show that this is the worst flood in the last 139 years, i.e. from the time the records were started. Never before like this, we had 3 months' worth of rain drop down on us in three days.

Entire villages have been wiped off the map. Around 150,000 people have been evacuated. Initial damage reprts talk of over €2 billion in damages, but the real assessment can be made only once the water has withdrawn. Bridges and roads have been swept away. Personal property damage is as yet not assessed, impossible to tell yet.

Whoa! That is some seriously rapid rainfall!
Glad you are ok.

The UK had some serious floods this winter (the wettest on record) but it was more of a constant and unrelenting thing so not so much risk of flash floods.
Nevertheless some areas remained under water from Christmas until late February.

This was no torrential rain, rather it was strong rainfall, the problem is that it lasted for all of 48 hours without pause. As rainfall, it was about what we usually have this time of the year, but normally it lasts for perhaps an hour or two, not 48 hours.

Additional trouble was that it was much the same in neighboring Bosnia and Croatia, which made water levels rise like notning we have ever seen before.

Belgrade is situated at the estuary of river Sava into the Danube. On normal days, Danube is at least twice as big as river Sava, but the crest of the flood wave, expected on Wednesday, will make river Sava twice as big as Danube, which is also above its usual levels, though not alarmingly so - yet.

Parts of the riverbank walkways along the Sava river, in summer about 2 meters at least above the normal water level, have already been flooded, thinly by about 5-7 cm only, but that is already alarming.

Luckily we haven't got any rivers nearly as big as the Danube.
Here it was all stretched out over nearly three months with one storm after another rolling in from the Atlantic. None of the storms were exceptionally bad by themselves, it was just the sheer number of them not giving the land any chance to drain properly.
As a result even moderate rainfall caused renewed flooding.
Besides that last winter was the 5th warmest on record (about 350 years). The other 4 happened in 1869, 1989, 2007 and 2012.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Funnily enough Jaguar placed at the top of JD Powers customer satisfaction rating for luxury cars whilst the previous No1 Lexus drops to 3rd behind Porsche.
Meanwhile in the consumer category the MINI tops it yet again.
(These were US customer surveys)

Sorry for the ot...

Yes. They started building the MINIs in The Netherlands again...;)

Jan

Mini's no more Hornies ....... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 111
I'm generally indifferent to horns, often not my cup of coffee, but I did like a pair of mammoth JBL horn speakers, a model now about 6-7 years old, moniker something memorable like "9200" or some such.

Horn loaded mid/treble, classic 15" bass reflex (or was it 18", not sure). Well in the mucho kilobuck range, but it sounded really good to me. Trouble was, you needed a fork lifter to dust under it, weight was well over 200 lbs.

PC Frank try and match this ....:drink:
I've already mentioned a couple of times hearing a Vitus amp at the recent audio show, and noting it was doing more things right than wrong, :). Numbers in themselves mean little, a monster amp may or may not deliver, the usual measurements are pretty well worthless.

I find it interesting they specify left channel, and right channel performance - for some strange reason they match, ;), I guess it proves no-one went to sleep while making a unit, :).

Status
Not open for further replies.