Something to say.......Anything!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah... Managing 74 or so physicians and being in the administrative chain, what with ocrappacare ensuing, along with the wife's retirement proved to be too much to deal with

Plus, I've scored a windfall with some timely stock picks that have guaranteed retirement on my terms...@63, none too soon

Where in WVa ? Being in eastern KY, it's kinda a war zone here too, meth labs and heroin Detroit to Fla connections and such ... :(

John L

Last edited:
I paid off my first house after I divorced my first wife when she threatened to kill our kids. I stayed single until both kids graduated High School. Wife number two seemed pretty stable when I met her, but ....

I'm 62, so I could retire. However I still have three years to go to pay for this house, which needs work I can not do with the rooms full of stuff. Once the dust settles, I'll start working on the house, and work out a final plan for retirement. I don't need 2400 sq-ft so I'll most likely sell this house in a couple of years and get somehting with a full unfinished basement. In part everything depends on how reasonable she is.

If she is reasonable, I can even help her get resettled, and maybe even later on with repairs, moving her son when he gets kicked out of his appartment (he is in his third appartment in three years) etc. If not, she will be on her own.

I used to travel a bit, but not for the last 7 yerars or so. I'd like to get out and see some of the country again. Maybe go to Canada to visit some friends there, One more trip to Yellowstone (camping) or maybe Glacier National Forrest, etc.

I picked up some albums at a thrift store yesterday. So far Christopher Cross ANOTHER PAGE is so full of pops it is unlistenable.

Six albums in really heavy green sleves look like they were from a library or university collection. they are old RCA Victor ablbums including "Music of the Islands", "The Waltzes of Irving Berlin", "Music and Songs of the Caribean" (weird but nice for background while cooking),.

In addition I have Dave Mason " Let it Flow", Earl Klugh "Wishful Thinking" (Pristine and worth what I paid of r all the albums), Winds of Change, american music for wind ensambles (only one of two albums present), and something called "PRO-ARTE SINFONIA, 1984 Digitaal Sampler.

Anyone ever heard of the last one?

Spekaing of meth labs, I heard the other day that Eastern TN is one of the leading areas in the USA for meth lab busts. Yesterday they busted a couple of people with "An active Meth Lab in the turnk of their car". Must have been "Shake and Bake".

On the other hand, it is not exactly the war zone some areas are so I won't complain too loudly.

What part of KY?

NE TN isn't too far from WVAor KY. I've drove to Charleston W. VA, packed up my step daughter and drove back in one day. Lexington looks like about the same drive.

Where in WVa

Moundsville, in the panhandle 11 miles south of Wheeling on the Ohio river. It was a small town of about 6000, until the frackers came to town. If they don't trash the place it should settle down in a few years. Meanwhile there are plenty of jobs. The county web site list 1912 job postings so there is plenty of work, yet a sizeable percentage of the population prefers welfare. I have spun the numbers a dozen different ways and it looks like I will need some means of employment for 2 or 3 more years. It will not be a high pressure engineering job....Welcome To Walmart!

I used to travel a bit, but not for the last 7 yerars or so. I'd like to get out and see some of the country again.

So did I, but in the last 7 or 8 years its been just Ft. Lauderdale to Moundsville, with a side trip to any hamfest within 200 miles of the route. I would think something like Burning Man (or even Burning Amp) would be cool, but Sherri wouldn't go to either.

Yes, both Burning Amp and Burning Man are on my Bucket List.

I've got camping equipment I've never used. I gave my old camping equipment to my step daughter. when she wanted to go camping, and ended up buying new equipment as my wife told me she wanted to go camping. NOT!

Stepdaughter sold all of the equipment I gave her. I only regret giving her my Camp Cook stove and military lanterns. The Camp Cook stove had been in our family for over 50 years and everything still worked well. Camp Cook pre-dated Coleman and was bought out by them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Well,

were stuffed in the UK now for state pension, earliest you can get it man or woman is 66 and its on the move again to 67/ 68 and more, even the private pensions have been moved so its work until you drop from now on.

LMAO in the past it was get a job for life then all the job's for life went bust, so now its you've got to have a job for life because there isn't going to be any pension even if its a private one. Some one else has the control over it!

:(:rolleyes: ah but its all in good intentions..never mind :scratch: :D.

Regards
M. Gregg

Stepdaughter sold all of the equipment I gave her. I only regret giving her my Camp Cook stove and military lanterns.

My daughter did the same.....I regret giving her a nice sunburst Stratocaster.

We used to camp out quite often as kids. Most of my adult camping trips were the two people and a Chevy van kind of trips the nomadic types did in the 70's. Zero useful stuff left now. I haven't seen the Coleman stove in years, so I bet my wife tossed it. The Coleman lantern got replaced with a cheap Chinese LED unit two hurricanes ago.

Growing up my dad was in the USAF and any time we relocated it turned into a camping trip. In addition, most vacations were camping. In the USA it was the big national parks like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc.

When he was stationed in Spain in the early 60s we used to take off for a month each summer, load up a VW Micro-bus and travel Europe (Nice camp grounds).

When I got married the first time our honeymoon was a 30 day tour of the US, camping. At the Grand Canyon, we hiked the Bright Angle Trail to the Indian garden and I went all the way to the CO river. Amazing what we packed into a Cheve Chevette.

After kids came along we would take off every 5 years for a month and do a sweep of Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Garden of the Gods, etc.

Wife #2 was willing to camp early on, but it came to an end after a couple of years. We made one trip to Buena Vista CO, with side trips to Garden of the Gods, and the Denver area.

I think that was the last time we camped.

Yea, LED lanterns sure beat the old Coleman lanterns. Certainly safer for indoor use. I think I have a bottled gas operated Coleman stove and lantern somewhere.

A lot of people dissed the Chevette, but I liked it a lot. Other than the fact that it had no AC it was fine. There was an interesting thing about it.

The catalectic converter had a drain plug which allowed replacement of the bb size Pt coated ceramic element. Some how I forgot to refill it after removing them.

I installed a set of Viper 4 into 1 headers, and the 1.6L engine provided plenty of power. I only got rid of it when the kids got big enough that we couldn't pack enough to go camping.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Thought I would share this,

I’m so fed up with the last 12 hours.

The flat roof finally failed with the rain and leaked into the kitchen, The tumble dryer rear bearing went within an hour of this, I switched on the TV and guess what its knackered??????
How can all this happen in one day oh and the gas Combi boiler failed this morning?????

I kid you not, honest I feel like someone is sticking pins in a voodoo doll.

I have to laugh its so ridiculous.:joker::joker::mad:

Regards
M. Gregg

Having spent a good part of my life as a housing developer, I am mystified why any planning authority - or engineering dept. - EVER allowed flat roof building.........it is a design for disaster in modern cost conscious housing. The old - pre WW1 - flat roofs were usually built with massive internal water runs to decent guttering systems all properly covered in thick lead; AND they were solid enough to act as a helipad!....................But that is post war UK building practice for you. I only hope that you have good insurance .. and that they pay up quickly.

Thought I would share this,

I’m so fed up with the last 12 hours.

The flat roof finally failed with the rain and leaked into the kitchen, The tumble dryer rear bearing went within an hour of this, I switched on the TV and guess what its knackered??????
How can all this happen in one day oh and the gas Combi boiler failed this morning?????

I kid you not, honest I feel like someone is sticking pins in a voodoo doll.

I have to laugh its so ridiculous.:joker::joker::mad:

Regards
M. Gregg

And I thought stuff like that only happened to me.

Best wishes on straightening it all out.

Geez M.Gregg, Is someone trying to get even with you for doing something bad? What a kick in the stones.

Like Brian and Gimp, I hope you get help with this.

Brian, Fewer materials - plain and simple. Nothing inherently wrong with flat roofs but there are always ones that are not designed or built properly.

Lead isn't used much on roofs here anymore. It slowly dissolves in the rain's acidity and runs into the gutters.

Yes, the term we use for flat roofing is 'low slope'. It is mandatory in new construction whether it be in the structure or by the use of tapered insulation on the deck. 2% slope and up will keep the roof from ponding unless you have deck deflection as might happen with Q deck, but that's minimal.

Leaky roofs are not usually because of a poor design, more likely a poor application.

Falt (ish) roofs are very difficult to get built here in Scotland......the approved specs. are so high and costly that a pitch is all but universal. Also here, a tongue & Groove 'sarking' board over the roof-trusses is mandatory. This is because of the high snow fall possibility (compared to England and Wales). Yet snow-boards are not mandatory. Having had to replace all of my guttering three times in three years, boards are now in situ.

We, too, have had a very dry summer....the salmon fishing was non-existant on many parts of the river. But the rains broke a week ago, the river is well swollen and filthy dirty. Just as it starts to clear down comes more rain, and the river swells carrying tons of top soil to the sea.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.