Some speaker driver measurements...

Some people might be concerned about the high 2nd harmonic distortion. At 1.5k / 94 dB SPL (2.83V), H2 is -30 dB = 3.2%. Some people might be concerned about that. On the other hand, H2 is generally not very audible, and if it is audible, it is not unpleasant. For me, I would only be concerned about 3% H2 in the most demanding monitoring application.

The odd order harmonic distortion is more important, and here the TW29RN-B has very low distortion.

j.

Reactions: 1 users
I would not mind -30dB at 1,5kHz at all. Don't forget at crossover frequency level is already in the area of 6dB down, THD also goes down.

But when you look at 2kHz and 8V - it's -25dB and that's a lot when you want a low crossover point <2kHz.
Even a small driver like Bliesma T25S has -40dB at 2kHz at 11,2V (to match the level).

So I would say this tweeter produces a "nice, sweet" sound on purpose.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The odd order harmonic distortion is more important, and here the TW29RN-B has very low distortion.

j.

But that relative "high" early peak H3 near 2 khz that increases rapidly with voltage which harmonics migth be audible perhaps. I am not worried to see such peak at 6 k hz but earlier. However due to high sensivity and nowadays active amp, I am not sure people uses it at 11 V or more ?!

I am never worried by H2 but only if it means by corelation a high level of H3 and H5.

I should have seen the off axis decreases rapidly so the odd harmonics from 2 k hz above 10 K hz will stay low. Now some do not like too much high (>-50 db?) that low... I always look at only H5 myself. All odd harmonics are not equal in wasting the sound , H5 and H7 certainly matter more than H3.

Which surprise me is the half priced sb26cdc seems to have better THD profile while these Satori have better (cleaner waterfall down to 2 K hz.

What matters the most for people ? Clean THD or clean waterfall? That's what I wonder if I had to choose one between the CDC or the bigger B-RN !

Last edited:
Petr,

Which do you prefer? Dome or ring dome?
Not an easy question to answer. RN was in 2way with MW16P, DN was in Ekta Grande upgrade. A few years from each other.
As I think, for the price ~170eur, I would look to lower cost tweeters, SB26 is sinically likely very close, or I would go with even more expensive tweeters like TXN to get qualities of hard domes, or look at 6600, 9700, and similar scan speak soft domes, they all sound very good, considering they are soft domes.

Reactions: 2 users
Hence what do all the flagships loudspeakers with 29 mm and more tweeter domes ?
A flagship speaker neds to produce pretty high SPL - 25mm are limited in that regard, more area CAN help (but many big surface tweeters don't have the needed sensitivity to do so, so they are just for lower crossover points).

I made tests on Bliesma and ScanSpeak 26mm tweeters, they can take about 10-15W of sine power before blowing up. Power compression is about 2-3dB, ScanSpeaks Membrane get's to 80°C. With crest factor of music of estimated 20dB you get pretty high peak power at 10Wrms.

When you combine a bigger coil with high sensitivity you can achieve at least 6dB more output.

Actually ... no. :cool:
The Bliesma was a cheap T25A type for mechanical experiments and while still working got a little damage during the process and is probably not up to spec any more. But as it looks like that at the moment ...
20231016_161722.JPG

The ScanSpeak was actually a pretty expensive Beryllium type - but was already dead when I got it and I could repair it. (often coil "feeding cable" are getting loose from to much heat. You can solder them back on ... VERY gentle). As I was not sure if it's in spec any more it got degraded as test tweeter.

As I'm often doing projects far out of normal use of speakers my testing is a bit different to normal DIY use ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I would not mind -30dB at 1,5kHz at all. Don't forget at crossover frequency level is already in the area of 6dB down, THD also goes down.

But when you look at 2kHz and 8V - it's -25dB and that's a lot when you want a low crossover point <2kHz.
Even a small driver like Bliesma T25S has -40dB at 2kHz at 11,2V (to match the level).

So I would say this tweeter produces a "nice, sweet" sound on purpose.

member of the TDTC* :) ! Quite funny games !

*: The Drivers Torture Club

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on relative polarity and filter order , plus driver distortion mechanism , K2/K3 cancelation can occur! (around F-xo)

And distortion? What is it? Some kind of noise in the background! Causing masking! Maybe even pleasant!

Why do you never give advice which part of track X is affected and what to listen for? Too much blah-blah template arguments .. like throwing stones from behind a wall being a coward!

A good headphone is an acoustic microscope!

What bad room acoustyx do to your perceived sound quality!

And the list goes on ...

The audio hobby is a uniworse :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Imagine a parrallel universe where people compare and discuss only their anechoic rooms and do not matter the loudspeaker inside !

In the meantime, waiting to to be on the other side we still discuss about the loudseaker ;) !

Anyway, it is the necessary discussion about what to measure and interpetre it ! You know the story of the guy that purchase a Porsche and complain about the layout of the speedways !

It dawns me I am living in a gargantua monkey coffin with perfect transducers while realizing the less than perfect absorbing walls are causing some problems ... on closer inspection it sounds like a party going on the other side with lots of guests talking too much so I can't understand what they are trying to tell me ... my fault or their?

A kingdom for a B&K microphone from denmark :)

less than perfect absorbing walls are causing some problems ...
Just build a non environment room and get that damn microphone, they are not sooo expensive (compared to all that money we spend on stuff and music). Or at least a M50 from Earthworks. (For the cheapos - MicW M215 is great for the price)

Just recently did some calibrating and listening in my living room cinema and then went listening the same track in my NE room for comparison to get a reference. The spaciousness and stage was AMAZING in the reflection free room, stereo width was significant wider as speaker distance cause it was recorded that way. (Sorry, not a lot of natural instruments in that recording and lot's of studio hokuspokus was going on ;-))
This showed me again how much you loose in a normal room and you definitely don't need side reflections for a big stage. It just doesn't get bigger as recorded.

But to be honest - sitting with my family is way nicer in the living room cinema as in my small NE room ... :geek:

Reactions: 1 user
member of the TDTC* :) ! Quite funny games !

*: The Drivers Torture Club

New signature.

People often forget that drivers are just some pressed paper or metal with some wires and magnets. It's very simple technology but optimised over a long time. And it's amazing what we can achieve with this tech. But these coils don't take a few 100W, a few drops of glue or paint don't change a lot and you have a lot of tolerances. And TSP ... is just a blink of an eye in the life of a speaker in all it's levels. :cool:

TDTC.png

Attachments

• TDTC.jpg
    TDTC.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 37