Some speaker driver measurements...

Just recently did some calibrating and listening in my living room cinema and then went listening the same track in my NE room for comparison to get a reference. The spaciousness and stage was AMAZING in the reflection free room, stereo width was significant wider as speaker distance cause it was recorded that way. (Sorry, not a lot of natural instruments in that recording and lot's of studio hokuspokus was going on ;-))
This showed me again how much you loose in a normal room and you definitely don't need side reflections for a big stage. It just doesn't get bigger as recorded.

My speakers have lots of space beside them (essentially no first reflections), with nicely rounded over corners since sharp edges tend to mess up imaging, and when Neil Peart does a drum roll it goes

from here ---- left speaker -------------------- right speaker ---- to here.

It's half a Live End-Dead End room, which still wants diffusors in the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interesting to see, it looks like the newer model is a lot worse than the old one from 2011;

1703617819677.png

This is at 90dB

When the right notch is being used, we can get rid of the 6kHz and 12kHz spikes.
I mean it's obviously just a very vintage kind of part, so I wouldn't expect top notch quality to begin with.
But at least something workable.

Reactions: 1 users
Paper teeeters…. For what is this a replacement part? I’m no expert on Marantz speakers, but I never got the impression these have contributed to the state of art of hifi. It’s quite a flimsy drop in replacement too, just like the original was. Nostalgia has its funny ways…
Does everything has to be state of the art?

There are other cone tweeters that perform better. Read: usable.

I just mostly find the difference between the two measurements interesting.

Reactions: 1 user