Slot ported version of The Tango

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The conversion took a while....I jest, I'm not totally anti them, I like TL's, I have a Jordan VTL I built with a removable back panel so I could make it into an OB. I use it both ways. On it's own as a TL, and with subs when OB. Variety is the spice of life they say. I really like the open spacious sound of OB though it's not to everyone's taste.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
If you have the space to let them be out in the room, an OB will fill that room with the most life-like representation. Problem is...me included, we don't have a large room that is as wide as it is long to do that. So we make a compromise (on most speaker designs) to put smaller speakers in a box (sealed or ported) so we can use them in a much smaller room, in a much smaller package, much closer to boundaries all while getting really good reproduction. OB are nice, I just don't have the room for them myself.

Yes, space is the bottom line. Mainly distance from walls, my room is only 12ft by 15ft, I just about get away with it and listened at lowish volumes which helps.

The beauty is they are easy and cheap to experiment with if you are interested as to how they sound

Eh? What? I was miles away.................................................

I didn't mean the boxes. I meant the speaker drivers inside the cabinets. How do I lay out the front panel? :p

Yeah, the crux of the matter is every room is acoustically different and everybody hears the same, yet not so much and some of the worst measuring speakers pretty much owns the world's consumer market, so go figure.

Bottom line to my way of thinking is you either accept JB's choice or use the silk and tweak it if need be to mimic the alum. as a potentially safer choice than maybe needing to tweak the alum. IOW, between boosting, damping an audio signal, the latter is always the better choice.

GM

But now that I think of it, Dayton Audio knows of the 'wearing in' of the driver and they sell replacement diagphrams for about 25 bucks a piece which is a good price for something you won't replace every year.

https://loudspeakerfreaks.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=11381

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Not to continue your torture - having built Paul Carmody's "Core 2-way" https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/core-2-way which uses the same components, I think you will be happy you waited, the combination is very, very good, with remarkable bass and the tweeter is quite good at twice the price.
He also shows a XO for the "A" and "F" versions of that tweeter. So you can decide yourself if you want the "F" now, or "A" later, but I really like the larger cabinet - that 7" woofer has a lot of low-end grunt in a bigger box.

Gotcha. Well I can do it from the driver sizes and an accurate estimate of their positions from the available pictures on-line, I can't find anything giving their exact positions but it's not going to need to be millimetre perfect. Is that ok, or do you want to wait to see if someone knows their exact position, maybe Bullitts knows, he seems to be familiar with them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.