Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I solved the problem with temperature; by reduce the current from 2X175mA to 2 X 130mA. Now the temperature is 50C on heat sink and 40 inside the case near the elements. Also I reduced the value of C2 from 15.33nF to 15.10nf. The equalization now is more accuracy and the stage more wide.
But I think that it needs more gain. My old phono has 63dB and the 56dB sounds a little weak. Sometimes I think is better to convert it to MM with 43dB plus low MC pre-pre (total 63db according PDF). Do you believe that will have problem with noise or anything else? My cart is Shelter 501 (0.4 mV)

Send me the exact circuit with idss values you got and drain to earth voltages you can measure to see if we can easily convert it to 60dB with not much hassle first.

Thanks Nikos

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 288
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK then. Before we perplex it with extra Jfets or whatever, short each R2 with a parallel jumper wire, parallel 220R to each R6, and go 40V B+ on both channels. That will boost the gain to about +2.5dB without any real hassle. Lets see, maybe it will do the trick. Its like your cart becomes 0.53mV with the gain you now got. About +30% on line output. Is there gain in your preamp by the way? 63dB is for 0.2mV LowMC carts usually.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am listening from Densen dm10 integrated amplifier

That one had tape input, should be content with 250-350mV. Try the easy +30% phono output boost we discussed first.

Edit: Found its manual. Today you have around 250mVRMS at 0db disc modulation phono output with your cart, tomorrow with the changes you are going to have around 330mV. Should cover.

Attachments

• DM10sens.gif
    DM10sens.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 318
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas,
each time someone asks for component values for different gains or different Idss you go away and calculate the components required.

Can you post your method with a short explanation of why you choose certain options in those calculations?

I check gain, bias, and Riaa curve on the simulator after I adjust the Beta and Vpinch on the Jfet model. Those voltages and currents he had given for his 56dB in the previous page, follow exactly for instance, so I am confident on what to adjust given the query.