ShibaSoku Automatic Distortion Analyzer

Problem solved.
At low frequency, I must push range A/B button to change detector speed slow.:headbash:
I was taken a lot of time to trace circuit and found it today!!!Aaghhhhh
I once tried to fix it slow mode soldering jumper on boards and succeeded yesterday.

Attachments

• DSCN0229_Ex.jpg
    DSCN0229_Ex.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 399
Maybe we can include several other brands here when they use the same over-all design concepts/topology as the ShibaSoku .... namely the Panasonic industrial models, such as the VP-7722A

Inside it is much the same build and look as these shown here so far. Costs are reasonable, especially considering they include an ultra-low distortion generator. Greater availablity, and schematics are available and easier to get than ShibaSoku.

Modifications and improvements should work for them as well.

Here is the front panel display shown measuring its own generator.

View attachment 494919 1KHz THD

View attachment 494920 1KHz THD

View attachment 494921 10KHz THD

View attachment 494923 1KHz THD+N

Whah choo tink? same same. Got potential as alternative ShibaSoku.

THx-RNMarsh

Hi Richard,
I noticed some pictures you posted, the VP7722 is working on MANUAL mode.
Do you know how to change the range when VP7722 working on manual mode?
Sometimes VP7722 working on MANUAL MODE would be more stable. Press the MANUAL Key near by NO. 3 key twice, then "meas" LED will turn on. I try most the key but no response.
:(

I had found my 725C have bit high 3rd order distortion at <160Hz.(0.00025% at 10Hz, below 0.0001% at 100Hz)
Finally I found the cause which is A3 board "bridge" capacitor of bridge T.
I had thought it never be the cause why it is soshin's polystylene or something cap!surprise!
I tried replacing parts to parts, trimmer R, metalized cap, jumpering reed relay, fixed resistor, opamps...and finally I found it.

still have other problem, high dist at -5dBV to 0dBV input at low freq, it seems A1 board's beta circuit is the cause.

Last edited:
replaced with 0.22uF polypropylene cap(not metalized) and 1000pF C0G MLCC paralleled , selected by actual measurement.
And another probrem solved replacing A1 C33 75pF cap. correction, the problematic range is -2.5dBV to 0dBV not -5dBV to 0dBV.

Last edited:
Very nice measurements!
Pretty awesome!

I have been trying to find some doc on teh VP-7722 but it is not easy. Schematics I did not find.

I have an AMBER 5500 looking for something that can measure only harmonics, and to lower ditorsion levels. I use "A"-weighting a lot.

Is the VP-7722´s PhosoA the same as a standard A-weighting filter?

/S

Maybe we can include several other brands here when they use the same over-all design concepts/topology as the ShibaSoku .... namely the Panasonic industrial models, such as the VP-7722A

Inside it is much the same build and look as these shown here so far. Costs are reasonable, especially considering they include an ultra-low distortion generator. Greater availablity, and schematics are available and easier to get than ShibaSoku.

Modifications and improvements should work for them as well.

Here is the front panel display shown measuring its own generator.

View attachment 494919 1KHz THD

View attachment 494920 1KHz THD

View attachment 494921 10KHz THD

View attachment 494923 1KHz THD+N

Whah choo tink? same same. Got potential as alternative ShibaSoku.

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Very nice measurements!
Pretty awesome!

I have been trying to find some doc on teh VP-7722 but it is not easy. Schematics I did not find.

I have an AMBER 5500 looking for something that can measure only harmonics, and to lower ditorsion levels. I use "A"-weighting a lot.

Is the VP-7722´s PhosoA the same as a standard A-weighting filter?

/S

The VP7722A is a great machine. I bought 2 of them from eBay over time .... one for California and one for Thailand. Not sure about that filter though. Guess you would have to measure it and compare with A weighted filter response.

Thx-Richard

Just a small teaser on the ShibaSoku AM51B, I'll do a full teardown when I get the chance.

Interestingly, my old 725B beats it in terms of THD+N by a bit, the residual of the AM51 is ~0.00020% (-114dB) THD+N @ 2Vrms, 1kHz/30kHz BW. Oh well, it specs -105dB, it just shows you how great the 725's really are.

On first impressions, it is a nice unit, maybe too nice to mod....nahhhhh. :D

ASACA corporation does the servicing of the ShibaSoku audio gear now (they got eaten up I think?), I managed to get the AM51B user manual from them, very friendly bunch.
Unfortunately, they said the 725B is too old and they don't have the service manual any more. :(

Attachments

• P1180398.jpg
    P1180398.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 290
  • P1180394.jpg
    P1180394.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 267
  • P1180399.jpg
    P1180399.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 272
  • am51 block diagram.png
    am51 block diagram.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 306
Nothing that fancy. Anything too new and it's hard to get stuff
from Shibasoku. Go figure...

If anyone has or isn't using their GPIB board on their ShibaSoku
It wouldn't hurt me to buy one. Mine was damaged from
the leaky battery.

If anyone need a copy of the calibration of the 725C manual
I have and old version that I could share, PM me your email addresses.
Be warned it's written in Japanese.

Cheers,

Sync