Server problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am on BT with a 12Mb/0.9Mb wired ADSL, which has never varied much whenever it was measured, so no local contention issues.

In 7 days time I get a BT fiber (fibre?) upgrade to an tipped 60Mb/20Mb speed for the same price: £26/month (c. $43 US), with no limits set.

Cliff <gloat>

Edit: I forgot the important thing that when I get a slow-down it seems to be a problem with DNS resolution, and not just for DIYa. I have tried many times to track it down using TRACERT etc, but it reports not being able to resolve anything beyond my ISP's address (ie the other end of my wire to BT). It then gets better just as I am about to resort to a kick!

Last edited:
Forum gone slow again @ 1539.
I had two screens up.
firefox logged in and IE logged out.
Both went slow at about the same time by not responding.
both updated the page after about one minutes delay at the same time.

This report page took about another minute to appear.

showing
waiting for www.diyaudio.com...

The edit took about 30seconds to update.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its just thrown a wobbly now... and lost the message I typed.

Was going to say that we are both on BT with Andrew an unknown. £26/m is that including line rental ? I pay around £14 (first years offer) for fibre but paid the line rental upfront on a deal. This time round it will be around £18ish ?? I think. Have to negotiate the deal every year and threaten them with moving. Thats the trouble with BT (and others) in the way they do business, they seem able to pluck figures out of the air. No benefits for loyalty these days.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Forum gone slow again @ 1539.
I had two screens up.
firefox logged in and IE logged out.
Both went slow at about the same time by not responding.
both updated the page after about one minutes delay at the same time.

This report page took about another minute to appear.

showing
waiting for www.diyaudio.com...

The edit took about 30seconds to update.

Yes... exactly. That would be when I lost the message.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'll have to leave it for now... Andrew, do you ever get pages "half loading" on here. It happens a lot to me when looking at my subscribed threads, usually in the evening. It just freezes and then I can't do anything. Next time it does it I'll take a screen shot... in fact there should be some around on the forum.

Yes but not often.

But obviously much worse when Members include remoter server pic that can take a LOOONG time to auto download, instead of diyaudio sending a thumbnail.

I was promised that the new software three years or so back would remove the option to auto download from a remote server. Promise broken!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've been suspicious about DNS problems in the past. Try using google DNS instead of your ISP's if you believe it is DNS. 8.8.8.8 is googles DNS server which can be used from anywhere.

Tony.

I have a local DNS flush routine I can run (local to the PC) but that didn't work yesterday. That does cure odd access issues but not this latest one.

Using google DNS instead of my ISP one... hmmm.... I'll have to Google that one :D

I've been suspicious about DNS problems in the past. Try using google DNS instead of your ISP's if you believe it is DNS. 8.8.8.8 is googles DNS server which can be used from anywhere.

Tony.

I have tried many alternatives, including BT, Google and various others. It is very hard to make a meaningful comparison since they all work very well MOST of the time.

So no meaningful conclusion.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes... same here... and its at a vital moment too :(

This proves beyond doubt it isn't PC issue to the users in the UK as far as I see it.

Anyway to find out who your connection is with Andrew. I know you said it was an on site link but it will be via some company. BT ?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've just had a look at the server stats and it looks like there is some swapping going on. I'm not sure what timezone these stats are in but it is 10:36PM here in aus which corresponds to the right hand side of the attached image. Perhaps others can look and see if the spikes correspond to slow downs they are experiencing over the last 24 hours?

Tony.

Attachments

• swapping.png
    swapping.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 71
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes 11:04PM now, should be GMT + 11 (daylight savings time).

so the right of that graph should have been about 11:26AM GMT, so the spikes quite possibly co-incide.

I'm not actually sure what the VM swapping means, Perhaps Jason can shed some light. The memory usage of the server was pretty constant through the whole period, so it may be the VM host having some problems...

Tony.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
yes 11:04PM now, should be GMT + 11 (daylight savings time).

so the right of that graph should have been about 11:26AM GMT, so the spikes quite possibly co-incide.

I'm not actually sure what the VM swapping means, Perhaps Jason can shed some light. The memory usage of the server was pretty constant through the whole period, so it may be the VM host having some problems...

Tony.

Looks spot on time wise. Andrew and myself were definitely having issues at that time.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been away on holiday, will look into this ASAP. Appears to be two issues.

Firstly, anything to do with "files.diyaudio.com" is a hiccup with our CDN (We use MaxCDN) and out of our sphere of control. The CDN should be super fast (it hosts key files in multiple countries so things load faster) but looks like there's been some problems. And those problems could likely be highly location specific and affect you and not other people depending on where you are making your web page request from physically.

The general server slowdown is perhaps something else, give me some time to look under the hood...

Thanks for the feedback...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.