Server problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1) The result of both Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up? and Website speed test
2) The current time in New York (our server operates on EST) - Google "time in new york" to find out
3) Whether it's CDN related (you are seeing "waiting for files.diyaudio.com etc / you see the page text but without styling (plain white background)) or if the main page itself is not loading / is slow
4) Your OS and Browser and Browser version

Thanks.

1 = website is up , @ 7:12 PM 2 sec. to load page @ 5:00 pm (EST) over 10 sec.
(hung on adservers).
2 = 5:00 and 7:12 PM EST

3 = The CDN's usually load the fastest , then hangs at the adservers. I occasionally get the plain formatted page (- CCS). Site used to be faster as
less adservers were being "called up". I know you need to make $$ , but you
now have more 3rd party secondary loads than "intellicast.com".
j2xgwDMBDSsnVA69OtCogRQzID4UOTOFEwAHkGJSmhPzgRIAFU7lagXmBJGuXwEwEMPlz8AaBEagAjDrBQAkcUj5iCtQwK0FSzhciBsQADs=

4= Win7 /64 with both firefox v34.0 and chrome 39.0+

Speed varies with time of day even as large sites and a generic ISP speedtest
show no real change.
Thanks ,OS

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Server has been experiencing and ever increasing frequency of brief load peaks (0-3 per day) as time goes on. I'll address this issue in the new year. No changes on the adserver configuration in a year or so - so we can probably blame Adsense. Thanks for the feedback.

Karl, a way to try getting around it, is to firstly disable Javascript in the browser, and then when it's hanging waiting for the cdn* connection, click the Stop Loading icon. In my Firefox this bypasses the "glitch", and the key elements of the page then display.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Yesterday was definitely a bad day, for various reasons (logs show we were just overloaded, possibly DDOS or being heavily scraped). Your CDN issue should be unrelated to our own server issues though, and all CDN issues should trace back to our CDN supplier, MaxCDN.

Files exist on cdn-1.datstatic.com and cdn-2.datstatic.com exist to speed things up - they are static files that can be pulled from a CDN server usually within your own home country instead of from overseas, thus speeding things up. They also take a bit of load of our main server. The directory paths and file locations on the CDN match exactly that of our own home server, so you can change the domain name back to diyaudio.com if you like by bypassing domain name resolution and telling to use the official server instead of the CDN servers.

If you want to do that, you can tell your computer to use the diyAudio server IP address as the IP address for cdn-1.datstatic.com and cdn-2.datstatic.com.

On windows, OSX or linux, edit your hosts file (note you'll need admin rights, etc, etc) and add:

209.59.179.1 cdn-1.datstatic.com
209.59.179.1 cdn-2.datstatic.com

Detailed instructions for editing your hosts files:

How Do I Change My Hosts File? « HostGator.com Support Portal

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.