Server problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm looking into this speed issue now. There doesn't seem to be any obvious pattern so far but if people are having problems please post the following:

1) The result of both Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up? and Website speed test
2) The current time in New York (our server operates on EST) - Google "time in new york" to find out
3) Whether it's CDN related (you are seeing "waiting for files.diyaudio.com etc / you see the page text but without styling (plain white background)) or if the main page itself is not loading / is slow
4) Your OS and Browser and Browser version

We'll try to work out a pattern.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
When I open up DIYAdio i get a normal page and then when I do refresh I get a white background and sometimes a very basic old style looking format!!

I have two screen shots of the two but I don't see the attachment button here?!!!!

Just like here,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum-problems/251543-looking-rather-odd-tonight.html#post3826402

I am using Chrome for a browser.

jer :)

Attachment button is in "Manage attachments" when you do "Advanced edit" instead of a "Quick Reply".

The white background means you haven't loaded the style sheets properly, or corrupted or 0 byte style sheets have been cached. Do a full refresh when this happens:

Refresh your cache - When hitting F5 just isn't enough!

Yes, I know how to add attachments but the buttons were not there when I tried to post them right after I had typed my post and hit manage attachments while the screen still had its normal colors.

I don't use any shorcut key strokes as I don't know them.

I used the refresh that is in the upper left hand corner in the Chrome browser.

Everything seems to be back in order now and I have also included the two screenshots of the error of a few days ago.

It seems that it was just an issue with chrome as I was having issues with it on FB as well.
IE did not do this when I tried it immediately after it had messed up using Chrome.

Thank You for your time!! ;)

Attachments

• diy1.jpg
    diy1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 189
  • diy2.jpg
    diy2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm looking into this speed issue now. There doesn't seem to be any obvious pattern so far but if people are having problems please post the following:

1) The result of both Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up? and Website speed test
2) The current time in New York (our server operates on EST) - Google "time in new york" to find out
3) Whether it's CDN related (you are seeing "waiting for files.diyaudio.com etc / you see the page text but without styling (plain white background)) or if the main page itself is not loading / is slow

Thanks.

Running Vista and IE9. Site dropped off the radar at 10:12AM E.S.T.

The noted effect of the glitch was... any tabs open on diyAudio remained open but wouldn't allow navigation to other areas of the site. I just got the spinning globe while the page I was on remained "open". Closing the browser and trying to open diyAudio gave a blank white screen with spinning globe at the top (in the tab).

Pingdom doesn't seem to work for me, even when the site is up :D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 143
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 139
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Yes, I know how to add attachments but the buttons were not there when I tried to post them right after I had typed my post and hit manage attachments while the screen still had its normal colors.

I don't use any shorcut key strokes as I don't know them.

Yesterday night, for two hours I noticed a denial of service with our site.
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

George

Hi guys. Those 1-2-3-4 steps I posted weren't just because I needed to stretch my fingers :) If you have a problem please follow those exact steps and post the results every time in that format 1-2-3-4. Thank you!

Thanks.

Hi guys. Those 1-2-3-4 steps I posted weren't just because I needed to stretch my fingers :) If you have a problem please follow those exact steps and post the results every time in that format 1-2-3-4. Thank you!
so we all need to print off a copy and keep it beside us because we can't get access to the instructions.

I will do that as well.

I did do the steps in #1(First link) and my ISP's speed was fine.
Every time I checked to see if your server was working it showed that it was okay as I started the link from here anyhow.

I will save the link so that I can use it without being on the forum for the next time it happens.

I had issues with the site being down here as well.

I did struggle with it for a couple of hours.

Changing browsers did not resolve any issues this time as it was intermittent and made no difference as to which one I was using.

Sorry, But I don't remember exactly what time it started or the complete time frame as I had been up for 23 hours yesterday myself.

FWIW

P.S. I m using chrome so the short cuts you mention don't apply and as usual any time I try to look up some thing about chrome the info is way out of date as there is no more options function in chrome anymore.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Time 7:07am NEW YORK TIME Site totally unreachable.

Running IE11 and W7x64

Now the site is back I notice posts during the last ten minutes when I couldn't access the site. Postings from Canada, Australia, Ireland and France.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 53
Joined 2000
Paid Member
so we all need to print off a copy and keep it beside us because we can't get access to the instructions.

Many ways to skin the cat but yes great idea - keep that information offline. Take a photo with your phone, copy to a text file or create a bookmark with those three links if you can't remember the concept (is it down for everybody else? how fast is it for a well connected server? what is the server time?).

There were significant CPU load blips yesterday at 7am and 9am EST. The server company updated the backup software to a new version yesterday. I will follow up and see if it could be related. Thanks for your feedback.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.