Sanken 2SA1216 2SC2922, Genuine and Fake pictures

I have test a sim in real and it did not work, I get voltages on input pins and strange outcomes, now I see the problem is proberly also fakes, I have compare and see that the TL072 original has printed tekst and the fake (if I right) has lasered or cnc tekst, pins are also not the same, original has silver look and the fakes has some tin look. Most parts who have fancy good looking pins are fake I think. I have looked also on the burr browns
opa 2134 these are also lasered or cnc, not printed. Pictures making do not work, I have no good closeup camera.

regards

Not a lot of recent experience to be honest, but Reichelt can be hit and miss IME. They have been selling genuine parts very cheaply, but they have also been observed selling obvious fakes.

Some years ago I read on a german forum that Reichelt would not check parts batch-to-batch which you really have to unless you only deal directly with a manufacturer or an official brand distributor. At one point I think they got a lot of complaints about fake parts (mainly Japanese transistors which they had a big catalogue of at one point) and so maybe they have improved here. In any case most of the "exotic" parts are now removed from their site anyway.

No personal experience with the Inchange devices, but it would obviously be nice to know from someone who has tried these if they actually perform as equivalents of the original Sanken parts :)

Lots of junk nowadays

I have by mistake bought a lot of ISC transistors advertised by Kessler on ebay as Japan Transistor.
They did add ISC in listing titles after many complaints probably.
They seem generally flimsy and even hfe did not match original datasheet for some signal transistors.
Then also Kessler also sold me fake Toshiba JFETs.
Had to get a JFET expert to make a report of them within a few days to get my money back through eBay. (Never say fake when you file a claim, just say defective)

Last year my friend ordered lots of parts from Reichelt.
I told him to get me one 2SJ74 and some other 2SJ JFET.
Fakes.
When complaining they told us they were genuine. (Always leads to fruitful discussions)

I like German stores and they generally sell good stuff, but now I think I have received fake JFETs from 4 different stores.

Hi. I weighed my 2SA1216 / 2SC2292 and it came out of 18.6 g. There is a minimum of 18.4 g in the datashet. In addition, I subjected them to power tests, the picture shows the dissipation of 184W. I gave about 300W for a while and nothing bad happened.
After the measurements, the HFE may also make cuts on the housing.

Attachments

• DSCF0911.jpg
    DSCF0911.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 323
  • 2SA1216.jpg
    2SA1216.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 2SC2922.jpg
    2SC2922.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCF0922.jpg
    DSCF0922.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 295
Reactions: 1 user
It is a non catastrophic method to open the housing a little. If you see a fat body probably you have a genuine one.
Use a round file vertical in the opposite side of the transistor's pins.
Grind until the metal body is exposed. If this is a thin, single layer, you have a fake transistor. If it is thick you have a real transistor that can still be used.

Last edited:
Hi. I weighed my 2SA1216 / 2SC2292 and it came out of 18.6 g. There is a minimum of 18.4 g in the datashet. In addition, I subjected them to power tests, the picture shows the dissipation of 184W. I gave about 300W for a while and nothing bad happened.
After the measurements, the HFE may also make cuts on the housing.

Were they obtained recently from a vendor/listing that you would recommend to others?

Sankens

Heyyyy Tranzystor.
PM me, and we´ll figure out something.
A good many years ago I bought a 100 pairs with same production number
on both NPN and PNP´s from Danish chain "HiFi-klubben"´s service department, as they stopped servicing Accuphase. I still have some "floating" around, and I guarantee you, these are genuine;).
As I said... PM me, if you are interrested.
I know that is an old post, but I am interested to buy a pair of 2Sc2922Y/2SA1216Y from Boydk, are they stilla available ? Thank you

I have heard, that in English amp devices like Cambridge Audio A3i in most cases are fakes mounted because it was bought from the cheapest supplier to save money, but who could never guarantee whether they came from SANKEN itself (genuine SANKEN parts too expensive for such audio amp companies for integrated amplifier models in the economy class).
Interesting to know would be, how many British amplifier companies had used counterfeits (or copies from ISC e. g.) from the start of the manufacturing of it's amps from cheap models.
For replacement it would be interesting to know, how close are copies from brands like ISC and others to the genuine SANKEN.
Maybe it is better to use a device from ISC than from SANKEN without to know, whether I have a genuine or fake part.

Attachments

• 2sc_2922-2.jpg
    2sc_2922-2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Sanken-2SC2922-image.jpg
    Sanken-2SC2922-image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I have heard, that in English amp devices like Cambridge Audio A3i in most cases are fakes mounted because it was bought from the cheapest supplier to save money, but who could never guarantee whether they came from SANKEN itself (genuine SANKEN parts too expensive for such audio amp companies for integrated amplifier models in the economy class).
Interesting to know would be, how many British amplifier companies had used counterfeits (or copies from ISC e. g.) from the start of the manufacturing of it's amps from cheap models.
For replacement it would be interesting to know, how close are copies from brands like ISC and others to the genuine SANKEN.
Maybe it is better to use a device from ISC than from SANKEN without to know, whether I have a genuine or fake part.
I have build a amp in the past with help of schematic of https://www.angelfire.com/sd/paulkemble/sound8.html The alexander amp.

I have use no mosfets but these sanken transistors.

It did sound so well that people thought it was a tube amp. extremely beautiful sound, no hars.

I did use the opa627 opamp and not the ssm2131 I did use a super emittor follower to drive the output transistors. But this all is long ago.

So sad fakes get sold in this modern world where people get lifted, need punish them heavenly.

Last edited:
Neither of those are any damn good. ISC is known to make very poor copies of Sanken LAPT transistors. They do NOT properly duplicate the innards of the MT-200 case, and the dies are smaller. Not 2N3055 smaller, but not a 200 watt die either. They likely hold up better than outright fakes, but don’t expect miracles from them.

The one on the right is an outright fake. It is marked with the Toshiba logo (not Sanken) and Toshiba never made the MT-200 case. It is Sanken proprietary. Toshiba (and others) made a footprint compatible TB-34 case, but it it more like a regular TO-264 that mounts sideways with two holes. Back in the day when Toshiba made the TB-34, they used the old logo and NOT the one in your pic (which is what they use today).

Attachments

• FB47968E-1E73-4C06-BFB7-5AEFA380DE57.jpeg
    FB47968E-1E73-4C06-BFB7-5AEFA380DE57.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 105