Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So just for preamp use, over 100 mA means no any sonic privileges ...? :scratch2:

I couldn't measure any indications and I also listened on higher Ohm headphones during the first test phase (with the more generic passive components) at 100mA vs 150mA. I do not remember any solid difference on anything >60Ω. You may try subjectively for yourself too. But keep away from expectation bias psychologically as much as you can. Also let it first run for a week on 100mA in just line preamp role you target at to get well acquainted. Then you can swap the two R10 resistors for the higher bias current lower value ones and judge.

Part of the reason DCG3/DCBST builders are asking this question is that several of us who have significantly upped the constant current setting on your 1.1 BIB regulators have reported a definite subjective improvement in sound quality. Any technical reason why the 1.1 regs sound better with higher CCS?

Thanks. nash

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its mainly about the lessening of rails THD interaction on sinusoidal or more complex current draw and the significant as a percentage lessening of Zo in those type of DC regs which does not relate to how this audio preamp circuit works. The only thing partly related as in a whole system is that the DCSTB will lessen its Zo a little when loaded heavier and maybe you could pick that one up a bit, maybe, I don't know.

Jeah! I got my boards today and I did some layout placing practices. I think I'm going to settle with this and do the drillings. The green board is a LDR volume/IO controller and the small trafo board it's power supply.

Attachments

• IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    992.9 KB · Views: 747
The now BF256B (J3) batch in Tea's hands is too strong for 4-5mA correct Id in circuit when R3=150R. Expect to find 220R R3 in his parts set.

Who have own J3s check they give 4-5mA with 150R using the following test circuit. If not any of them do, change your R3 value accordingly.
Hi, would it be an idea to update the first post with this info?

Sincerely

Started populating board 10 minutes ago :D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
135mA generous bias choice is understood because your headphones are 62 Ohm and you have a huge sink, but are you really going to use it facing down? How close lucked out your Leds and Jfet parts tolerances for good output voltages and are the pass transistors heatsinks temperatures reasonable?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, would it be an idea to update the first post with this info?

Sincerely

Started populating board 10 minutes ago :D

Its specific gb parts related, can't be analytical info for post#1. But I will just put a link. With another batch the matches may change again so such info will be updated by Tea in his gb thread and blog l believe

135mA generous bias choice is understood because your headphones are 62 Ohm and you have a huge sink, but are you really going to use it facing down? How close lucked out your Leds and Jfet parts tolerances for good output voltages and are the pass transistors heatsinks temperatures reasonable?

Pass transistors temp around 41 degrees Celsius after an hour or so open air though.